• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Being a Wrestling smart

Xuhaib

International Coach
How much being a wrestling smart increases your respect for the profession?. For me it has done a lot, getting to know about the dirty backstage politics and the hard grind that goes in to the job such such as being constantly on the road and paying your dues (in wrestling terms) and trying to learn different styles of wrestling in order to get over (popular) with the different crowds each promotion looks to cater.

For me guys like Chris Beniot, Mick Foley, Edge etc are no less athletes then Michal Jordan, Tiger Woods or Shane Warne, next time if anyone try to say that its just fake bull**** just tell them they should try to get some findings on the profession and then look to make such immature comments.

pasag

RTDAS
Now I know there are alot of wrestling fans on CW and I wouldn't go into the WWE thread and mouth off because that's rude and I wouldn't want someone doing that in say the AFL thread. But dead set, wrestling is the stupidist thing ever. I can't stand it and it is the epitomy of the excess of idiotic America. Worst thing to come out of the US since Osama Bin Laden.

Now I know there are going to be alot of people, some who I respect are going fight to defend this dire display (not a sport ffs, get a grip) but I just can't stay silent any longer. It is the worst thing ever IMO. I have a few classmates, who I grew up with, they have the combined IQ of 45 and they love this, that is fine, they also laugh at the word 'boogers'. What troubles me is that there are people on the smarter side of things that are actually fans.

Back at it's peak in popularity back in the late 90's I was hoping people would have a laugh and it would go away, but it still hasn't. This utter rubbish continues to clog up space on Fox 8. People continue to justify its existance. And if it was just a bunch of rednecks, the same people who go on Jerry Springer about having *** with dolphins I wouldn't care. But as can be seen from the people who are going to subsequently have a go at me, there are some non-retards who watch this. And not just watch it, follow it religiously like its a sport. It's not a sport ffs. The wrestlers arent athletes and it really bugs me how people try and validate this bull****. It's insane.

(Btw I have no problem with people who watch it as lets say any TV show, as a work of fiction)

Bring on the backlash.

Loony BoB

International Captain
WWE is basically NFL, only entertaining. Yes, I'd agree that they're athletes, anyone who doesn't is silly. I'd call it a sport, but only as much as I'd call cheerleading or gymnastics a sport. It is fake, it is planned, everyone knows that now. But that doesn't make it less entertaining or anything like that. Beats boxing and classic wrestling hands down*, though, and I watch the odd show.

I don't know how smart you'd have to be, but you do generally have to be at least somewhat knowledgeable of what's going on to get into it. Often you'll need to follow the storylines to really appreciate the matches.

* With the exception of the fact that boxing, being real, has that extra 'umph' when it comes to victory itself.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Loony BoB said:
WWE is basically NFL, only entertaining.
and without the ball, the competition, the complex strategy etc. I dont quite see the comparision.

WWE and westling, if you like it thats fine. However, accept it as a guilty pleasure, as its dumber than dumb, rather than try and legitimise it. I enjoy watching Idol but Im aware of how silly the whole thing is.

It is what it is. Not my cup of tea and certainly not a sport. The guys are certainly athletes but so are stunt men.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Goughy said:
and without the ball, the competition, the complex strategy etc. I dont quite see the comparision.

WWE and westling, if you like it thats fine. However, accept it as a guilty pleasure, as its dumber than dumb, rather than try and legitimise it. I enjoy watching Idol but Im aware of how silly the whole thing is.

It is what it is. Not my cup of tea and certainly not a sport. The guys are certainly athletes but so are stunt men.
I feel WWE has given wrestling a bad image however its not totally their fault the main target market for wrestling in US are usually the casual fans who prefer a soap opera style garbage thus quite a lot of times the WWE shows comes across looking stupid especially if you have bad writers (like nowdays) but if you follow shows of small niche promotions like ROH who keep the main focus on in-ring action then you will be really surprised to see how legitimate(sp?) and serious wrestling can be portrayed.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
pasag said:
Now I know there are alot of wrestling fans on CW and I wouldn't go into the WWE thread and mouth off because that's rude and I wouldn't want someone doing that in say the AFL thread. But dead set, wrestling is the stupidist thing ever. I can't stand it and it is the epitomy of the excess of idiotic America. Worst thing to come out of the US since Osama Bin Laden.

Now I know there are going to be alot of people, some who I respect are going fight to defend this dire display (not a sport ffs, get a grip) but I just can't stay silent any longer. It is the worst thing ever IMO. I have a few classmates, who I grew up with, they have the combined IQ of 45 and they love this, that is fine, they also laugh at the word 'boogers'. What troubles me is that there are people on the smarter side of things that are actually fans.

Back at it's peak in popularity back in the late 90's I was hoping people would have a laugh and it would go away, but it still hasn't. This utter rubbish continues to clog up space on Fox 8. People continue to justify its existance. And if it was just a bunch of rednecks, the same people who go on Jerry Springer about having *** with dolphins I wouldn't care. But as can be seen from the people who are going to subsequently have a go at me, there are some non-retards who watch this. And not just watch it, follow it religiously like its a sport. It's not a sport ffs. The wrestlers arent athletes and it really bugs me how people try and validate this bull****. It's insane.

(Btw I have no problem with people who watch it as lets say any TV show, as a work of fiction)

Bring on the backlash.
What he said

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I watch it like I watch any other TV show, only I also enjoy watching the wrestling. Yeh, it's corny and there's plenty of stupid **** that makes me wonder why i'm watching, but I can't help myself.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Buddhmaster said:
I watch it like I watch any other TV show, only I also enjoy watching the wrestling. Yeh, it's corny and there's plenty of stupid **** that makes me wonder why i'm watching, but I can't help myself.
Yep im with Buddy

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
WCW Nitro on a Saturday night on TNT. I was basically raised by Bill Goldberg.

Slow Love™

International Captain
pasag said:

Bring on the backlash.
You completely wussed out with that part in brackets and gave everybody an out clause, so I doubt there'll be a backlash. :)

FWIW, I agree. I watched it a bit back in the 80's, but after a while I'd had my fill of grease-covered rough trade squirrel-holding each other and doing panto.

Dravid

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
Mods are always right, don't question them. We've learnt that the hard way already.
That could be his opinion, but it can never be a fact. I don't even know how it became his opinion.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not my cup of tea & certainly not a sport (even the "authorities" admit as such, because by classifying themselves as sporting entertainment they get tax breaks denied to actual sporting competitions) but if it floats your boat, good luck to you.

I actually fell rather sorry for amateur wrestlers tho; it must be one of the very few sports (save for those like Hockey & Gaelic Football that are still amateur at he highest level) where its top practitioners cannot legitimately turn pro.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Dravid said:
Do you think Rugby is also dire?
I think NFL is boring in comparison to rugby which I find to be much more fluid and entertaining. Just because we don't like American Football doesn't mean you aren't allowed to, man, don't fret.

Dravid

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
I think NFL is boring in comparison to rugby which I find to be much more fluid and entertaining. Just because we don't like American Football doesn't mean you aren't allowed to, man, don't fret.
I know, I'm just wondering what made you say it's the same as WWE.