• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Being a Wrestling smart

Loony BoB

International Captain
The fact that when I watch it, all I see are big lads in weird costumes hammering into each other. WWE just happens to do it in a much more entertaining way.

For the record, I do know that there is strategy involved and I respect that, but it doesn't change the fact that I find the game boring and the strategy uninteresting. As Brumby said earlier: "Not my cup of tea".

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wrestling, a poor excuse for men to hold other men in kinky positions.

WWF, acting is even worse than that on H&A and Neighbours, not a sport, just a bunch of steriod taking hobo's who flunked out at acting school.

Dravid

International Captain
Clapo said:

WWF, acting is even worse than that on H&A and Neighbours, not a sport, just a bunch of steriod taking hobo's who flunked out at acting school.

WWE*

Loony BoB

International Captain
Yeah, don't let the pandas catch you calling them steroid-taking hobos. Nasty bastards when they want to be, them pandas.

Matt79

Global Moderator
For mine, you have to admire the skill involved in doing what they do and not regularly killing each other or more frequently seriously hurting each other. Yes its fake, but if you watch some of the stuff guys like RVD and Jeff Hardy do the fact its fake is pretty irrelevant. There's no way to land on somebody having jumped from a ten meter high ladder/platform, when you weigh the best part of 100kgs and NOT hurt them.

But a sport, no. Athletes? Maybe, in the sense that dancers are athletes.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Clapo said:

What an ignorant comment, I suggst you go and read Mick Foley' autobiography you will realise what a hard grind it is and for those who say there is no strategy trust me you guys are completley wrong.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't watch WWE, or wrestling in general anymore, just don't have the time nor interest which is why I've stopped posting in the official pro-wrestling thread, but really I can understand how modern-day WWE would put people off.

But back in the 80s and 90s you had this man

Gotta love Bret Hart.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Xuhaib said:
How much being a wrestling smart increases your respect for the profession?. For me it has done a lot, getting to know about the dirty backstage politics and the hard grind that goes in to the job such such as being constantly on the road and paying your dues (in wrestling terms) and trying to learn different styles of wrestling in order to get over (popular) with the different crowds each promotion looks to cater.

For me guys like Chris Beniot, Mick Foley, Edge etc are no less athletes then Michal Jordan, Tiger Woods or Shane Warne, next time if anyone try to say that its just fake bull**** just tell them they should try to get some findings on the profession and then look to make such immature comments.
Obviously it increases your respect for the profession, but unfortunately it also results in you finding more and more faults in the profession, and general product as well. I've watched wrestling since I was 8, and only stopped this year, but I remember ever since become a smart (or smark etc.) from 2001 onwards, I saw more and more faults and just stupidity in booking decisions and general quality that it put me off.

Whereas from 96-99 you'd have to beat me with a baseball bat to get me out from in front of the TV when Raw or Nitro would be on. 2001-2003 was also a period where my interest was paramount, but even as a smart then I would accept the crap Vince and co. would give us, because there was also some good. Now I just can't sit and watch for 2 hours anymore. Even with the great man King Booker at the helm.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I watch WWE regularly, but I watch it just as someone would watch Neighbours or whatever.. Its obviously fake, and I find it very funny, but you can't hide from the fact that these guys are incredible athletes and great on "stage".. I'd like to see your average cricketer do some of the aerial stuff on ladders and on the ropes, it's pretty impressive.. Tbh the worse it gets, the more funny it is

Xuhaib

International Coach
Jono said:
Obviously it increases your respect for the profession, but unfortunately it also results in you finding more and more faults in the profession, and general product as well. I've watched wrestling since I was 8, and only stopped this year, but I remember ever since become a smart (or smark etc.) from 2001 onwards, I saw more and more faults and just stupidity in booking decisions and general quality that it put me off.

Whereas from 96-99 you'd have to beat me with a baseball bat to get me out from in front of the TV when Raw or Nitro would be on. 2001-2003 was also a period where my interest was paramount, but even as a smart then I would accept the crap Vince and co. would give us, because there was also some good. Now I just can't sit and watch for 2 hours anymore. Even with the great man King Booker at the helm.
Cant agree with you more, my wrestling following pattern is exactly like yours and even I watch it very occasionaly now. Just shows how much the product has detoriated that loyal fans like us our turning their backs to it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Though it may be fake, those guys are all incredible athletes. I used to be a WWF nut (And yes, i mean WWF) watching it all the time - loved guys like Steve Austin, Foley ect. Unfortunaly, the storylines these days are pathetic and I've basically lost my love for something that held my attention for so many many years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but Thunder was crap.

WCW made a mistake by making their second show inferior, whereas the WWE (WWF at the time) made Smackdown on the same level as Raw with title matches and massive storyline occurrences and cliffhangers also happening on that show. Gave us a reason to watch.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Yeah but Thunder was crap.

WCW made a mistake by making their second show inferior, whereas the WWE (WWF at the time) made Smackdown on the same level as Raw with title matches and massive storyline occurrences and cliffhangers also happening on that show. Gave us a reason to watch.
It was also taped (not sure if it is still) so people knew the results before hand so even though they had cliffhangers and such people knew about them

Anyway, If you like "pure" wrestling taking away the soap opera. Either get some old stuff like NWA 1985 to 1989 (come WCW in 90 I tihkn) Ricky Steamboat VS Flair. Flair VS Sting. And much more

And really any wrestling from japan is amazing. Even Hulk Hogan (in the 80s) when he went over there improved in terms of his wrestling.

I hardly watch wrestling I stopped when WCW closed it's doors. I did try and get into WWF(E) but it just didn't seem the same.

David

International 12th Man
For mine, from what I've seen, ROH is the show to watch for "pure" Wrestling. Even above the japanese stuff I've seen.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
David said:
For mine, from what I've seen, ROH is the show to watch for "pure" Wrestling. Even above the japanese stuff I've seen.
ROH is also really good. Most of those guys wrestle in japan anyway. Like Chris Daniels as Curry Man.