• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest French Footballer Ever ?

Who do you think is the best French footballer ever ?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
I'm in a problem here since I would either vote for Platini (who I believe has Italian origins?) or Zidane but they both played for Juventus so I'm resisting not to vote for either of the aforementioned.

But if I have to Just Fontaine, 13 goals in one World Cup is brilliant.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I haven't seen enough of Platini, so I'm going to go for Zidane - dominated world football for several years. Minus the headbutt, he's a clear winner.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually amazing how many of the great French footballers are the children of immigrants.

Zidane: Algeria
Platini: Italy (via Grandfather)
Kopa: Poland
Fontaine: Morocco
Henry: Guadeloupe/Martinique
Tigana: Mali
Desailly: Ghana

I went for Zidane, anyway.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
BoyBrumby said:
Actually amazing how many of the great French footballers are the children of immigrants.

Imperialism at its best. Too bad about the English though, hasn't worked for them in football.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Platini.

Probably influenced by the fact that I was a kid when I watched him and therefore more impresionable.

Also the most stylish footballer that typified Gallic flair to me.

After the game you could picture him in the bath with a glass of wine, Gauloise in hand and a pretty tasty looking woman next to him.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:

Even now as well.

Trezeguet - Argentina (grew up there and did say in World Soccer magazine last year he hopes to finish his career at River Plate since he is a fan)
Vieria - Senegal
Makelele - As above
Cisse - As above (IIRC Makelele and Cisse were born there)
And technically Freddy Kanoute.

Plus you have Saha, Gallas, Pires (according to FM he is half Portugese but don't quote me for fact), Dacourt, Thuram, Boumsong (was born in Cameroon), Malouda, Wiltord, Abidal, Anelka etc. were all born or have parents or grandparents from abroad.

France has to be one of the most multicultral countries out there (I know Germany has their fair share of Poles, Turks and those from Croatia and the Balkans after the war in the 90's).

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Hmm, I've only seen three, and of those 3 I reckon Cantona and Henry are slightly ahead of Zidane. Then went for Cantona out of bias more than anything else.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tom Halsey said:
Hmm, I've only seen three, and of those 3 I reckon Cantona and Henry are slightly ahead of Zidane. Then went for Cantona out of bias more than anything else.
You never saw Desailly?