• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
After Stage 3:

Håkon Mørk 106 (71st) [58]
Mathew Mitchell 100 (129th) [43]
Neil Pickup 100 (129th) [58]
Manjunath Reddlapalli 80 (316th) [41]
Craig Walsh 70 (405th) [37]
Greg Thomas 64 (448th) [32]
Jeff Rangers 46 (534th) [22]

First number - Total points
Second number - Overall Rank
Third number - Points earned into today's stage.
No concerned just yet though. Although if Boonen or McEwen win it will be handy for me. My lot should come into fore during the Alps, and Pyrennes.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
As Mitchell said and you never know what could happen. This break nearly succeded but as typical nobody is going to help anybody, and why would you? Why do a big long turn on the front and only for the rest of the break to go past you and get the win? If there were two guys from the one team in a break then it is a different story, but not if it is four rival teams. There are some guys who base their whole careers on being in random crazy breakaway attempts, Jacky Durand being the most notable one. And besides it is an unwritten rule for a smaller team to send guys up the road anyway.

Fair play to Cancellara though, deadset his tighs must be bigger then your average flyweight Spanish climber.
It reminded my of the good old CM4 days (just riding away from the front of the bunch at the end of the stage:laugh: .

Would it be fair to say that Cancellara is some what similar to pre cancer lance? (in terms of body size and shape as well as favourite terrain...)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As Mitchell said and you never know what could happen. This break nearly succeded but as typical nobody is going to help anybody, and why would you? Why do a big long turn on the front and only for the rest of the break to go past you and get the win? If there were two guys from the one team in a break then it is a different story, but not if it is four rival teams. There are some guys who base their whole careers on being in random crazy breakaway attempts, Jacky Durand being the most notable one. And besides it is an unwritten rule for a smaller team to send guys up the road anyway.

Fair play to Cancellara though, deadset his tighs must be bigger then your average flyweight Spanish climber.
Thought he was Swiss?

Matteh

No concerned just yet though. Although if Boonen or McEwen win it will be handy for me. My lot should come into fore during the Alps, and Pyrennes.
Did notice that your team wasn't quite as sprinter friendly as mine. Thinking Haakon will struggle in the mountains given that he has 8 out of the 15 as sprinters.

Craig

World Traveller
Did notice that your team wasn't quite as sprinter friendly as mine. Thinking Haakon will struggle in the mountains given that he has 8 out of the 15 as sprinters.
I'm banking on the two big time trials in Albi and Cognac, the near certainty that Jens Voigt will either be in one of the transation stages or Stage 7 to Le Grande Bornand when the race hits the Alps. After that I should be ok.

Interesting break has gone clear: Juan Antonio Flecha (Rabobank), Gorka Verdugo (Euskaltel - Euskadi), Matteo Tosatto (Quickstep), Sébastien Chavanel (Française des Jeux), Christian Knees (Milram) and Paolo Longo Borghini (Barloworld).

Considering Tosatto and Knees acts as lead out men for Boonen and Zabel and Freire has a key man in the break, this will have to put a lot of pressure on Credit Agricole and Predictor-Lotto.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeees. Well done is-hofd.

Good day for non-dominant cricketing nations, really. Dean (NZL) did THE perfect lead-out, Hunter (RSA) finish second, and Freire (ESP, team from NED) makes third.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Interesting...

Code:
  London-C'bury    Dunkirk-Gent      Waregem-Compiégne   V'C-Joigny
1 McEwen   AUS PRL Steegmans BEL QSI Cancellara  SUI CSC Hushovd NOR C.A
2 Hushovd  NOR C.A Boonen    BEL QSI Zabel       GER MRM Hunter  RSA BAR
3 Boonen   BEL QSI Pozzato   ITA LIQ Napolitano  ITA LAM Freire  ESP RAB
Excluding prologue because it's a different beast to all these flat stages: ten different riders, four different stage winners, nine different teams and eight different nations. Pretty well spread out overall.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Nice work from Hushovd and Dean today - great to see Credit Agricole getting an early stage win. Hopefully Hushovd can pick up another stage or two, I think he'll cope better in the mountains than most sprinters, so maybe he'll do well on the flat stages between the Alps and the Pyrenees.

Hunter was impressive again today though, he almost had Hushovd at the end. Much like Zabel and Napolitano yesterday, he just timed it too late.

I'm looking forward to the stage tomorrow - it's always nice to get the first non-4th category climb! The scenery should start getting more interesting as well...

Matteh

After Stage 4:

Håkon Mørk 172 (44th) [66]
Neil Pickup 157 (98th) [57]
Mathew Mitchell 151 (140th) [51]
Manjunath Reddlapalli 118 (329th) [38]
Craig Walsh 92 (451st) [22]
Greg Thomas 82 (489th) [18]
jeff rangers 58 (550th) [12]

Craig

World Traveller
Finished 16th, obviously didn't make it through for whatever reason.
Still suffering from his crash the other day?

Don't know what is up with David Zabriskie as he is finishing at the back every day, unless it is a cunning plan to lose a fair bit of time so he can get in a break and they won't chase him down.

Useless fact of the two day: Two riders in the top twenty used to ride for US Postal - Dean and Boonen.

Matteh

Still suffering from his crash the other day?

Don't know what is up with David Zabriskie as he is finishing at the back every day, unless it is a cunning plan to lose a fair bit of time so he can get in a break and they won't chase him down.

Useless fact of the two day: Two riders in the top twenty used to ride for US Postal - Dean and Boonen.
Knackered from being at the front all day probably. Same reason we've not seen O'Grady at the front.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guys, are you able to answer a questin for me please?

McEwan had a 1st, a 7th and I think a 12th after three stages and was ranked overall 50 somethingth.

How can that be? Is it because of points, etc? I thought if u finished wherever in an overall stage, that would reflect your overall position in the race.