• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

luffy

International Captain
Yeah, heard that also.

Did Schwarzer have a good match, ie lots of saves, or were the Bahrain shots off target?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look, that may all be true, but he juggernaut rolls on.

It's better playing **** and winning than doing what we did BG (Before Guus) when we'd look a million bucks but find a way to lose when we should have won comfortably.

luffy

International Captain
That's the spirit.

But from what i've heard, if we play like that against a real quality team we'll get the **** kicked out of us.

Burgey

That's the spirit.

But from what i've heard, if we play like that against a real quality team we'll get the **** kicked out of us.
Yeah, but we won't. Recent histoy shows they won't, coz even if they're off their games, they generally scrap well enough to stay competitive.

I understand Grella didn't play? He's very important to us IMO. Cahill's carrying an injury, Kewell under done as well.

Seriously, they can't play well all the time. And at least we aren't as bad as England.

9 points in the bag. 2 more wins gets us there boys (according to the pundits).

A point in Japan in February will also go a long way to helping us out. Watch 'em lift for that one.

TORY

Cricket Spectator
Japan is the only threat in our group.... we should be winning by 2-0, 3-0 against these opponents. Its very important we put some quality into our victories. Anyways bring on Japan!!!!

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poor game eh. Probably not helped by the fact that some of the most important players in the team only had 2 days training with the rest (well that's how I understand it)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Poor game eh. Probably not helped by the fact that some of the most important players in the team only had 2 days training with the rest (well that's how I understand it)
I think that is something we are going to have to get used to, as AFC don't seem to be moving fast to ensure qualifiers are on International weekends. Though I guess the fact that all matches are on International dates it is atleast a start.

Though considering Bahrain had 4-6 players out and don't have anywhere near the depth of Australia. That a very poor performance which ever way you want to look at it. Thats the beauty of Asia, no easy matches.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that is something we are going to have to get used to, as AFC don't seem to be moving fast to ensure qualifiers are on International weekends. Though I guess the fact that all matches are on International dates it is atleast a start.

Though considering Bahrain had 4-6 players out and don't have anywhere near the depth of Australia. That a very poor performance which ever way you want to look at it. Thats the beauty of Asia, no easy matches.
I don't disagree that it's something the players/management have to get used to, but imo there surely are better ways to approach/prepare for the match. Even if it does mean using a few more of the best A-League players (combined with those international players who have more than just 2 days to prepare). Obviously they aren't going to form our best team, but at least they're a better chance of working as a team.

I read somewhere that Bresc, Kewell and I think Kennedy only turned up in Bahrain the day before? Asking for trouble when 3 of your most important attacking players are basically turning up 1 day before the game, no matter how good they are.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The problems those three had were hardly to do with fitting into the setup. For one, their touch was way off (rough pitch didn't help) and they were all way too behind the ball. I understand jet-lag but when you're paid thirty thousand pounds a week, I don't care about your jet-lag.

Pim's tactics weren't great either. Played 4-2-3-1 but Kennedy pushed so far up the ground that it became 4-2-4 with no-one forward of the midfield. Plus Kewell on the right, Bresc on the left? wtf?

Burgey

They're also better than us by some distance. I'm all for England bashing, but keep it where it's legit (like everything outside of football).
Look, I hear what you're saying and ordinarily I'd be in full agreement with you, were you speaking about anyone else.

But this is a country (England) that thinks it's good at:
Rugby League
Cricket
Rugby
Football
Netball

and other things.

And they're not, though I grant you they're better at football than the other sports.

I mean, no other country has given the world so many sports, yet been so utterly **** at them.

FFS, they talk about the "Twin Pillars of English Sport" - the 1966 Soccer WC and the 2003 Rugby WC.

They spent 150 odd years as the dominant empire on Earth, and gave birth to so many sports it isn't funny, and they have two (2!!!!) sporting pillars?

We, on t'other hand, have more pillars than an Ancient Greek temple.

England 1 Australia 3. Stick that in yer 1st Chance Average and smoke it fellas!!!!

Written and authorised by the Unrealistic Australian Sporting Expectations Party, Sydney