• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Cloete

International Captain
Interesting game. Didn't see the Adelaide one but from what I heard they were unlucky not to get a draw. Sydney definitely deserved the win but Shanghai were quite good, not far off a draw really. Two great goals though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Super goals from both Corica and Talay... Great win by Sydney, really puts them in a good spot especially if they can beat Urawa Red Diamonds next round.. Tharmi, you going to the game?? Im hoping to get out there, we should meet up if you go..
Not sure depends if im working that night, if not i would be pretty keen to head down there. Wouldn't surprise me if over 1,000 Red Diamond fans come down for this game, so the atmosphere will be closest thing we might ever get to European match.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like FC Nurnberg are trying to sign another Australian players with Dario Vidosic on a two week trail from Queensland Roar

Benito Carbone also seems keen to come back for the A-League with Adelaide United looking like a possible home. Its interesting to see whether this talk about Yorke and Carbone wanting to come back is just all transfer hype leading into the European off season, or they just loved the attention they got as marquee players they want more.

EDIT: Surprised no one has mentioned the possible move of Fred to MLS and DC United. Would be a massive loss to the A-League and Victory if they lost him.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Looks like FC Nurnberg are trying to sign another Australian players with Dario Vidosic on a two week trail from Queensland Roar

Benito Carbone also seems keen to come back for the A-League with Adelaide United looking like a possible home. Its interesting to see whether this talk about Yorke and Carbone wanting to come back is just all transfer hype leading into the European off season, or they just loved the attention they got as marquee players they want more.

EDIT: Surprised no one has mentioned the possible move of Fred to MLS and DC United. Would be a massive loss to the A-League and Victory if they lost him.
Has there been talk of how money has been offered to Melbourne?

Andway I see Sydney have let Jeremy Brockie go citing homesickness.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Australia are playing friendlies against China (Mar 24) and possibly Saudi Arabia (Mar 27)
With these two matches a two weeks away what do you think the sides will be. I presume they are on FIFA matchdays so we will go full strength.

GK: Mark Schwarzer, Adam Federici
DF: Lucas Niell, Craig Moore, Scott Chipperfield, Patrick Kisnorbo, Brett Emerton, Adrian Leijer, Michael Beauchamp
MF: Vince Grella, Mark Bresciano, Josip Skoko, Mile Sterjovski, Jason Culina, Luke Wilshire, Nick Carle, Mark Milligan
FW: Mark Viduka, John Aloisi, Brett Holman, Scott MacDonald, Archie Thompson

Not sure if they are going to go with a 18 man or 22 man squad, but you would think this would be a chance to try our back up players if possible.

I think Federici deserves a run as the 2nd keeper. Petkovic hasn't really impressed me and its time we start looking at some youth. I hope they give Leijer a run as a backup left back infront of Stefanutto. Midfield it would be nice to see Milligan and Carle get a run especially Carle with no Cahill in the squad. He could fill Cahill role if given a chance IMO. Up front it would be nice if Thompson, Allsopp and Williams all get a run. But Holman and MacDonald have been in good form and deserve a run as well. I think Josh Kennedy also made a comeback for FC Nurenberg, but it would be too early to bring him back.

Thoughts?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
They could probably throw quite a bit at Fred as a marquee player, if they wanted. Looks like a possible move of Freddy Adu might also have a big impact on DC offering Fred a contract as well. But they could probably afford both if they wanted to.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
With these two matches a two weeks away what do you think the sides will be. I presume they are on FIFA matchdays so we will go full strength.

GK: Mark Schwarzer, Adam Federici
DF: Lucas Niell, Craig Moore, Scott Chipperfield, Patrick Kisnorbo, Brett Emerton, Adrian Leijer, Michael Beauchamp
MF: Vince Grella, Mark Bresciano, Josip Skoko, Mile Sterjovski, Jason Culina, Luke Wilshire, Nick Carle, Mark Milligan
FW: Mark Viduka, John Aloisi, Brett Holman, Scott MacDonald, Archie Thompson

Not sure if they are going to go with a 18 man or 22 man squad, but you would think this would be a chance to try our back up players if possible.

I think Federici deserves a run as the 2nd keeper. Petkovic hasn't really impressed me and its time we start looking at some youth. I hope they give Leijer a run as a backup left back infront of Stefanutto. Midfield it would be nice to see Milligan and Carle get a run especially Carle with no Cahill in the squad. He could fill Cahill role if given a chance IMO. Up front it would be nice if Thompson, Allsopp and Williams all get a run. But Holman and MacDonald have been in good form and deserve a run as well. I think Josh Kennedy also made a comeback for FC Nurenberg, but it would be too early to bring him back.

Thoughts?
Good squad, I would give Federici a start since he looks like he is Schwarzer's successor, if not I would bring him on at half-time or givie him at least 20-25 minutes on the field. This is more taking a punt in a friendly to give an opportunity to pick a young player on potential in a non competitive match (well in name only at least).

Cloete

International Captain

Andway I see Sydney have let Jeremy Brockie go citing homesickness.
Woulkd be interesting. Nurnberg would also have to pay the Roar for Vidosic's services with atleast a year left on his contract. It's about time A-League clubs starting demanding reasonable transfer fees. Atleast into the hundreds of thousands, if not touching a million, for some of our brightest prospects. We've been shooting ourselves in the foot with regards to transfers far too oten over the years.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is that the players want all the transfer stuff sorted out ASAP and get pissed off at the club if they hold back at all. Also in generally one of the reason why clubs look over for players is that they can get cheap prices for similar players in lower European leagues. If we start asking for up to mil for a player, they will look elsewhere and it will be harder for players to move overseas.

Yes we don't get what the player is worth, but we can't really do much until the league is more established, so signing an A-League player means something. The only way its going to mean anything is if players go over and dominate straight away.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Woulkd be interesting. Nurnberg would also have to pay the Roar for Vidosic's services with atleast a year left on his contract. It's about time A-League clubs starting demanding reasonable transfer fees. Atleast into the hundreds of thousands, if not touching a million, for some of our brightest prospects. We've been shooting ourselves in the foot with regards to transfers far too oten over the years.
You can only ask for what they're worth though - in general the sorts of sides buying players from Aus will not have the money to pay that sort of money.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Socceroos squad announced to play China and Saudi Arabia.

Michael Beauchamp (FC Nuremberg, Germany), Mark Bresciano (Palermo, Italy), Jacob Burns (Wisla Krakow, Poland), Nick Carle (Newcastle Jets, Australia), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Holland), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Ryan Griffiths (Rapid Bucuresti, Romania), Brett Holman (NEC Nijmegen, Holland), Brad Jones (Middlesbrough, England), Patrick Kisnorbo (Leicester City, England), Scott McDonald (Motherwell, Scotland), Lucas Neill (West Ham, England), Jade North (Newcastle Jets, Australia), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England), Shane Stefanutto (Lillestrom, Norway), Mile Sterjovski (Basel, Switzerland), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory, Australia), Michael Thwaite (Wisla Krakow, Poland), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England), Luke Wilkshire (Twente, Holland)

Big news i guess is the re-call of A-League player of year Nick Carle, as well as Brad Jones getting the No 2 keeper spot. Very disappointed that Leijer didn't get the spot in the squad ahead of Jade North and Shane Stefanutto. Mind you his performances for the Olyroos have been below par.

Jordon held the Olyroos to a 1-1 draw thanks largely to a wonder strike by Ahmad Alzugheir. Kristian Sarkies scored the first goal and they had quite a few more chances, but couldn't find the 2nd goal. They need a win away from home and they have to beat Saudi Arabia at home at the end of the month, to have any chance.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Im surprised no one has mentioned anything about Stan Lazaridis 'failing' a drug test. From all reports he has to take this drug for a medical condition and he was allowed to for most of his career. Just forgot to get permission before the recent drug tests were taken. I doubt much will come of this, but there has been a fair bit media write up about this.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Some interesting stuff surrounding the Wellington bid for the last spot in the A-League. Wellington put in a official bid for the spot yesterday. The big problem they seem to have is lack of funds, with NZ Soccer likely to have to fund a large amount of the start up capital.

Wheras as Townsville the other main contender for the licence has apparently already got enough money to fund club intially. They also got a coach in Wynton Rufer and are already looking to sign players like Tony Popovic and Craig Moore.

But even more interesting is that Gold Coast is also looking to put a bid in as, the last spot seems to have been completely open. With Wellington/NZ no longer have a certain spot in the A-League next season. Wellington would still be the favorties if they can come up with the money and show that NZ still is a viable option. But i can see a few more twists in this story yet.

luffy

International Captain
With regards to the Australian squad, it's a shame to not see Cahill, Kewell, and Aloisi playing.

Last edited: