• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Australian Under 23s leading Chinese Taipei 3 nil at half time. Goals to Milligan, Burns and Sarkies. Good result so far but its always hard to tell the quality of these teams.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Australian Under 23s leading Chinese Taipei 3 nil at half time. Goals to Milligan, Burns and Sarkies. Good result so far but its always hard to tell the quality of these teams.
Game ended 11-0 to Australia and Sarkies scored 4 goals. Lets hope the group matches are harder...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not the worst result ever considering the large number of players we had out and quality of the Danish team. It does look like John Alosi days are numbered at International level. If Viduka doesn't comeback soon it might be time to give the likes of Holman, MacDonald, Kennedy (when his fit again) and Williams an extended run in the national team. As well as Allosopp and Thompson.

The real worry is the defence and keeper, might to be time to just blood Brad Jones and Nathan Cole, even if they are not playing regular football. Defence well we really do seem to rely a lot on Niell and Moore. The others look servicable at best. Should be interesting to see how we go against Uruguary and Argentina, then in the Asia Cup.
Now that i'm back and finally got my PC to work.

First goal was because of an utter dire pass from Emerton, Tomasson put it away cleanly.
Aus then scored only for it to be disallowed for god knows what.
Second Goal was against the run of play and they took it cleanly.
Aus then scored again only for it to be disallowed for god knows what.
Denmark then scored with some a very good passing move in which the Aus defence hadn't a clue.
Aus then finally scored because of an Emerton freekick, when it looked like Griffiths was nearly fouled in the box tbh.

Aloisi was fouled the entire match by the Danish centre halfs and only late on did he get anything for it. The ref was dire as. E.g. if i can see a blatant handball from the stands, why can't he?

Australia pretty much dominated Denmark for much of the game, but Denmark took their chances.

Cloete

International Captain
Now that i'm back and finally got my PC to work.

First goal was because of an utter dire pass from Emerton, Tomasson put it away cleanly.
Aus then scored only for it to be disallowed for god knows what.
Second Goal was against the run of play and they took it cleanly.
Aus then scored again only for it to be disallowed for god knows what.
Denmark then scored with some a very good passing move in which the Aus defence hadn't a clue.
Aus then finally scored because of an Emerton freekick, when it looked like Griffiths was nearly fouled in the box tbh.

Aloisi was fouled the entire match by the Danish centre halfs and only late on did he get anything for it. The ref was dire as. E.g. if i can see a blatant handball from the stands, why can't he?

Australia pretty much dominated Denmark for much of the game, but Denmark took their chances.
Fair calls all round bar the one disallowed goal which Haakon correctly pointed out as being the right decision. Honestly, we should have won that. Like Tharmi said, keeping and defence was quite poor. Danish finishing was quality and ours was dire. That Emerton free kick was actually top drawer though. Great dip and swerve on it.

Also Tharmi, was that Under 23's game on TV?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hasn't been mentioned yet but the GF tickets sold in two hours, this could be the biggest day in Australian football outside reaching the WC. If only there was free to air coverage of this game, for the whole Australian public to see. There hasn't really been much coverage about the game in Sydney, but from last experience i guess most of the coverage would be in Melbourne and Adelaidle.

Also Culina is the new Sydney FC coach, a good move IMO overseas coaches haven't really worked. You need guys that understand Australian football. We also announced this squad a while ago, some intersting names:

Sydney FC's AFC Champions League squad: Clint BOLTON, Jeremy BROCKIE, Alex BROSQUE, Dean BOUZANIS, Adam CASEY, David CARNEY, Steve CORICA, Iain FYFE, Luka GLAVAS, Terry McFLYNN, Robbie MIDDLEBY, Mark MILLIGAN, Justin PASFIELD, Noel SPENCER, Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY, Mark RUDAN, Ufuk TALAY, Jacob TIMPANO, Nikolas TSATTALIOS, Ruben ZADKOVIC, David ZDRILIC.

Noel Spencer, Luka Glavas and Adam Casey caught my eye. The first two could be really good signing for us and Casey has some potential.

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
Hasn't been mentioned yet but the GF tickets sold in two hours, this could be the biggest day in Australian football outside reaching the WC. If only there was free to air coverage of this game, for the whole Australian public to see. There hasn't really been much coverage about the game in Sydney, but from last experience i guess most of the coverage would be in Melbourne and Adelaidle.

Also Culina is the new Sydney FC coach, a good move IMO overseas coaches haven't really worked. You need guys that understand Australian football. We also announced this squad a while ago, some intersting names:

Sydney FC's AFC Champions League squad: Clint BOLTON, Jeremy BROCKIE, Alex BROSQUE, Dean BOUZANIS, Adam CASEY, David CARNEY, Steve CORICA, Iain FYFE, Luka GLAVAS, Terry McFLYNN, Robbie MIDDLEBY, Mark MILLIGAN, Justin PASFIELD, Noel SPENCER, Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY, Mark RUDAN, Ufuk TALAY, Jacob TIMPANO, Nikolas TSATTALIOS, Ruben ZADKOVIC, David ZDRILIC.

Noel Spencer, Luka Glavas and Adam Casey caught my eye. The first two could be really good signing for us and Casey has some potential.
Good decision. Branko should do a good job. Should get Jase back as your marquee :p

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good decision. Branko should do a good job. Should get Jase back as your marquee :p
get him pretty cheap now, we are trying to offload him, dont know why, he actually got a start for us on sunday and scored...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Do u guys reckon there will be any big(ish) names coming back next season. I say most of the major Socceroos will stay in Europe.

Maybe some forgotten players like Paul Agostino(sp)