• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France

Steulen

International Regular
Pedro Delgado said:
How can we have any other view than "guilty until proven otherwise"? Sad to say it but today has been the final straw for me. Sorry if that sounds melodramatic.
I disagree. As in every other occupation, whenever there's an accusation of misconduct it should be "innocent until proven guilty". Yes, there is widespread drug abuse in sports, but at the moment it's a witchhunt. Just being named on a list is enough to get you suspended. That is unfair. Every single person should have the right to argue in his own defence before being sentenced.

If the current system of guilty until proven innocent had been in place in the late '80's, one Pedro Delgado would never have won the Tour.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought that seeing as I made fun of the tennis and not the big milk run they do every year in France it was time to make an appearance, even if belated somewhat.

I hear that next year the bike riding element of the Tour de France is going to be scrapped and the winner will be crowned upon who managed to clog their shower drain with the most leg hair.

Steulen

International Regular
I hear that anyone who will purchase a razor will get a free pro cycling licence.

"Now you can win the Tour de France...with Gillette leg razors for men!"

this purchase comes with a mandatory life sentence for being a drug taking cheat

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
"Gillette razors - putting your body hair in perspective. Just a one gram pile of your leg hair is equal to 100% of your manliness!

"Gilette: Emasculating men across the globe since the seventies."

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Craig said:
That's a fair assessment (sic?).

Maybe we might see the return of Mayo?
Could be, looked good in DL a couple of weeks back. Thou, i just don't see anyone being able to hang with vino's climbing and TT. Although, could we see the big 4 from Disco blow everyone away? :wacko:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It'll certainly be very interesting tactically in the mountains. I'm thoroughly looking forward to seeing how it pans out. I might be in a minority, but my enthusiasm for the tour hasn't been dimmed at all.

Wishing I'd took my own advice and had the e/w on Cadel now.

Chubb

International Regular
Wow, this has turned the tour from a fascinating probable two-way battle into a fantastic free-for-all. I'm gonna take Popovych to win now, and Landis, Valverde and Evans to be his main rivals and podium-sharers. I still think Mayo will disappoint again, but his chances of figuring in the GC have gone up.

Unfortunately, the scandal has also marred le tour once again. It's so much worse than Festina because it's across so many teams.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Casson said:
"Gillette razors - putting your body hair in perspective. Just a one gram pile of your leg hair is equal to 100% of your manliness!

"Gilette: Emasculating men across the globe since the seventies."
So you probably say the same about swimmers?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Woohoo!

Code:
001  	118    	HUSHOVD Thor  	  	NOR  	C.A  	00:08:17:000  	
002 	003   	HINCAPIE George 	USA 	DSC 	00:08:17:730 	at 00h 00' 01"
003 	018   	ZABRISKIE David 	USA 	CSC 	00:08:21:210 	at 00h 00' 04"
004 	044   	LANG Sebastian   	GER 	GST 	00:08:21:800 	at 00h 00' 05"
005 	091   	VALVERDE Alejandro 	ESP 	CEI 	00:08:21:920 	at 00h 00' 05"

Cloete

International Captain
Good rides by O'Grady, Cadel and McEwen who had a good time trial by his standards. Rogers was a bit disappointing in 7th. Was hoping he'd go top 5 or top 3. Thor was a big surprise, congrats to him.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:
Good rides by O'Grady, Cadel and McEwen who had a good time trial by his standards. Rogers was a bit disappointing in 7th. Was hoping he'd go top 5 or top 3. Thor was a big surprise, congrats to him.
I agree, it was great to see his expression after the race.

Attachments

Craig

World Traveller
Cloete said:
Especially that he is a sprinter who can time-trial well, which is a rareity AFAIK. Tonight/today's stage will have an antipodian look to do it, with McEwen challanging for the stage win, O'Grady will probably have a crack now that Basso is gone, Kiwi Julian Dean will be leading out Thor Hushovd for the immediate points for the Green Jersey and for the stage win, and South African Robbie Hunter (Phonak) will be contesting the sprints, although I will be surprised if he does do anything. I'm surprised Phonak would bother taking him since they are looking for the overall with Floyd Landis.

Anyway for the inevitible break, if Thomas Voeckler is not in there, then there is something not right, since he is a local (he was born in the region) it should only be right he is there. Expect to see him, Flecha, Casar, Chavanel, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Voight in there. Some guys from Agritbul (they are an Agricultral company/business/board/whatever apparently) should get up there and get some TV Exposure for their sponsor (the cycling version of Sunderland in the Tour).

Sprint finish is my tip.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Agritul to attack within the first 5 km...is my tip.

Wasn't real suprised by the TT results, with the short distance (7km) the power spinters (Thor, Boonan etc) were always going to do well. Rogers 'should' do better in the longer ones. What about Landis thou...missed the start by a bit then only finished 9 seconds behind.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fantasy game starts with tomorrow's stage. I may get chance to make up a table but being in Austria means i won't necessarily.

Interesting to see Hincapie doing well after years as being effectively Armstrong's number two...

Cloete

International Captain
Interesting day's racing.

Sad to see what happened to Hushovd, hopefully he's ok.

Robbie could have had it, he was boxed in but it opened up late and he didn't push straight away. When he did push he got 2nd. Top ride by Casper who seemed very surprised :D

Should be an interesting one today. It's a bit hilly at the start with two category 3's then a couple of category 4's at the end. My tip is a breakaway will win it unless the sprinters teams work alot harder than they did yesterday.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Matteh said:
Fantasy game starts with tomorrow's stage. I may get chance to make up a table but being in Austria means i won't necessarily.

Interesting to see Hincapie doing well after years as being effectively Armstrong's number two...
Surprised he's shown his hand so early tbh.