• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And i'm missing it all, gutted. :(

As for the fantasy thing..

Mathew Mitchell - 125 (315)
Craig Walsh - 81 (531)
Haakon Mork - 79 (519)
Sean Fuller - 49 (589)

Overall position in brackets out of 638
If i've missed anyone, i'm sorry but it was done on memory.

Cloete

International Captain
Robbie :D

Every time, just comes from nowhere. Incidentally that's the longest period I've seen him on the TV during the sprint. I assume it's just because he blew them away (like Neil said) by about 20 meters :laugh:

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
O'Grady ran wide on a corner and was holding it together freewheel on the grass, until he ran out of grass and found a ditch. Fourth vertebrae fractured - tour over as far as being a serious contender goes.

Phenomenal effort from McEwen in the sprint today, just blew them away by 20m+ - I'm enjoying this tour more than ever before. Who needs the big guns?

Craig, any thoughts on Damiano Cunego in terms of the GC?
What wizard said, he can't time trial, mainly down to the fact he is so small (5ft 6'), and if he tried to get any lower he would lose power (it is the watts thing you might have heard Paul Sherwin talking about depending on what commentatory you get), so he has to raise the handlebars up, which doesn't help either.

He can climb though, very well, if you have seen footage of the late Marco Pantini, he has a similar style by climbing (especially when launching an attack) on his drops, and in his 2004 Giro win (when he was just 22), he was just too quick for everybody, including his team leader and defending winner Gilberto Simoni (also racing in this race), who can climb pretty good as well, struggling, and when Simoni got all upset, Cunego jusat replied: "It is not my fault he couldn't keep up". This lead to a falling out and Simoni now riding for a different team.

Anyway Cunego will be a factor in the mountains, and has a chance of getting stage wins, and maybe look for KoM points, and has IMO I good shout of a top 5 or 6 placing, but his time-trialing will let him down, especially with a long one coming up.

Craig

World Traveller
Doesn't look good for Basso:

Five points in the Basso-Fuentes link

The withdrawal of Ivan Basso from the Tour de France on the eve of the race was one of several shocks resulting from the Operacion Puerto affair. As Basso was named in the investigation, under ProTour rules he had to pull out of the Tour. Jan Ullrich, Oscar Sevilla, Francisco Mancebo, and the whole Astana-Würth team (even though all weren't named) couldn't start the Tour for similar reasons.

Since the operation hit the public eye on May 23, Basso and his Team CSC mentor Bjarne Riis have always denied that they were involved in the investigation. However, a 38-page summary of the full 500-page Operacion Puerto dossier provided enough circumstantial evidence to link the CSC captain to the affair. Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport published the information concerning Basso, which focused on tapped conversations between Dr Eufemiano Fuentes, and the former director of Comunidad Valenciana, Ignacio Labarta.

In a phone conversation on May 14, at 21:46, the two discuss the Giro stage to Maielletta, won by Basso. Fuentes allegedly said in a 'wink wink' tone, "A stranger won, Basso, Ivan Basso." Labarta responded, "A certain Ivan Basso."

After that stage, Basso and José Enrique Gutierrez Cataluna (a Dr Fuentes client) were lying first and second on the general classification. Labarta: "Well done boy, first and second with a certain Basso and a certain Guti." Fuentes: "Good heavens." Labarta: "Hey...first and second."

On the previous day (May 13), Labarta called Fuentes at 20:02 and spoke about the great performance of the "Buffalo" - Gutierrez' oft-used nickname - who finished fourth in stage 7 on that day. A surprised Fuentes said, "Buffalo?", to which Labarta responded in the affirmative, also listing the stage placings behind Rik Verbrugghe: "Savoldelli [2nd - ed.], yes, and behind at 16 seconds, Birillo arrived with Simoni, at 20 seconds Zapatero [who was identified as Scarponi], at 24 seconds, Uno [La Gazzetta claimed it was Unai Osa, but he finished at 34 seconds - ed]. All very well. I want to say that all those who you are looking after, or who you are interested in, are in the race and also doing well."

In addition to Basso and Simoni, only Rebellin and Gonchar finished at 16 seconds on the seventh stage. Both those riders, as well as Simoni and Savoldelli, have been excluded from having any connection with Dr Fuentes. But "Birillo" happens to be the name of Basso's dog. In Fuentes' code key, it is associated with number 2. The 226 bags of blood and plasma that were seized from Dr Fuentes' apartments in Madrid are encoded with similar numbers and nicknames, and presumably a DNA test could verify whether the blood contained in a "number 2" bag is the same as Ivan Basso's.

The fourth link is a document with Dr Fuentes' company letterhead on it that features a list of "contributors and participants in the festival taking place in the month of May." Basso, Marcos Serrano, Michele Scarponi, José Enrique Gutierrez and Jan Ullrich are all on the list. The Civil Guard has interpreted the 'festival' as being the Giro d'Italia, since all those riders took part in it.

The final link is contained in details of payments for products and services. There is no direct naming of Basso, but a handwritten note by Fuentes appeared to give 'Birillo' instructions to take certain products. "Birillo: take 2 x plasma; 3 x HM (gonadotropin); 10 patches (testosterone); code Swiss account."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul05news4

Matteh

Mathew Mitchell - 159 (331)
Craig Walsh - 113 (502)
Haakon Mork - 108 (508)
Sean Fuller - 69 (585)

Overall positions in brackets.
The game is harder than it looks 8-)

Craig

World Traveller
Well done to Oscar Feriere for his stage win, eventually a break away is going to succed, it could be tonight with an important time-trial coming up, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a bunch sprint, and this time I will tip Tom Boonen if it is a bunch sprint, he has been close enough, and I think he will get one sooner or later (not to mention the Belgian press will tear strips off him if he doesn't).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour065/33

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think we'll have a successful break for the first time today - not a big one, but they'll get there nonetheless. Otherwise, if we hit bunch sprint central again, I think Hushovd's probably due one.

Matteh

Mathew Mitchell - 209 (324)
Craig Walsh - 145 (504)
Haakon Mork - 140 (509)
Sean Fuller - 89 (583)

Cloete

International Captain
Robbie!!

Quite possibly the best leadout I've ever seen there from Steegmans. He's sitting in about 10th wheel with Robbie behind and there's a rider on the front leading out from Lampre. No worries, just pops out and flaws it. Overtakes a leadout and about 8-9 other riders gives Robbie the inside next to the barriers and holds out wide so the rest have to go around him. Gave him about a 5 metre lead and Robbie extends it to 10. Absolutely brilliant from Steegmans and well done to Robbie! They were both boxed in with a km to go and I thought Robbie was done for.

Make or break time in tonight's TT. Hopefully Rogers and Cadel put in good performances.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Matteh said:
And i'm missing it all, gutted. :(

As for the fantasy thing..

Mathew Mitchell - 125 (315)
Craig Walsh - 81 (531)
Haakon Mork - 79 (519)
Sean Fuller - 49 (589)

Overall position in brackets out of 638
If i've missed anyone, i'm sorry but it was done on memory.

Ahem...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Time trial today - not quite a pancake, and quite long (52km), but it still looks like Rogers territory, especially given that he has a yellow jersey to hunt. Light wind, but as the course is fairly circular

Today's key men:

(number in start order/number on bike)
15 /139 Wiggins (GBR, Cofidis) 11:16 (Paris time, 9:16 GMT)
52 /002 Ekimov (RUS, Discovery) 12:30
60 /072 B Grabsch (GER, Phonak) 12:46
81 /171 Voeckler (FRA, Bouygues Telecom) 13:28
103/081 Cunego (ITA, Lampre) 14:12
113/121 Mayo (SPA, Euskaltel) 14:32
140/014 C Sastre (ITA, CSC) 15:26
141/097 Pereiro Sio (SPA, Illes Balears) 15:28
142/051 Menchov (RUS, Rabobank) 15:30
145/001 Azevedo (POR, Discovery) 15:36
146/084 Bruseghin (ITA, Lampre) 15:38
147/041 Leipheimer (USA, Gerolsteiner) 15:40
148/016 Vandevelde (USA, CSC) 15:42
149/007 Popovytsj (UKR, Discovery) 15:44
151/011 Julich (USA, CSC) 15:48
154/021 Klöden (GER, T-Mobile) 15:54
155/018 Zabriskie (USA, CSC) 15:56
158/146 Millar (GBR, Saunier Duval) 16:02
159/031 Moreau (FRA, AG2R) 16:04
160/061 Evans (AUS, Davitamon-Lotto) 16:06
162/023 Hontsjar (UKR, T-Mobile) 16:10
163/096 Karpets (RUS, Illes Balears) 16:12
164/071 Landis (USA, Phonak) 16:14
165/009 Savoldelli (ITA, Discovery) 16:16
167/003 Hincapie (USA, Discovery) 16:20
169/026 Rogers (AUS, T-Mobile) 16:24
170/065 McEwen (AUS, Lotto) 16:26 (key question: how many will catch him? My guess is only Rogers...)

Craig

World Traveller
Being the Judas that I am, I'm leaning towards Dave Zabriskie or David Miller.

For those who are not aware, tonight you will see Michael Rogers wearing the rainbow jersey - the World Time Trial Champion, in the time trial but not in the road stages, because being the TT Champion he can only wear it in that event only, whereas you will see Tom Boonen (apart from tonight) wearing a normal Quick Step jersey because he is only the road race champion. Same applies for the national champions.

As for Steegmans, he really has a motor, and they reckon he could even be quicker then McEwen's usual lead out man Freddie Rodriguez, and there are some fast finishers on Quick Step as well (de Jongh, Pozzato, Cretskens etc.) and if they rode for another team they could be the number one man yet here they all work for the one man. I have noticed Euskatel's sprinter who has been good placings (3rd on stage 5) so far, and IMO he could be off to a bigger team next year.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Intermediate timing

km 16.5

1 Gustav Larsson (Swe) Francaise Des Jeux 20.36
2 Viatscheslav Ekimov (Rus) Discovery Channel 0.16
3 Victor Hugo Pena (Col) Phonak 0.19
4 Joost Posthuma (Ned) Rabobank 0.21
5 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Cofidis 0.34

km 36.5

1 Gustav Larsson (Swe) Francaise Des Jeux 44.53
2 Victor Hugo Pena (Col) Phonak 0.23
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Cofidis 0.55
4 Magnus Backstedt (Swe) Liquigas 1.29
5 Christopher Horner (USA) Davitamon-Lotto 1.47

km 46.3

1 Gustav Larsson (Swe) Francaise Des Jeux 56.36
2 Victor Hugo Pena (Col) Phonak 0.26
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Cofidis 1.15
4 Magnus Backstedt (Swe) Liquigas 2.16
5 Christopher Horner (USA) Davitamon-Lotto 2.21

Finish - km 52

1 Gustav Larsson (Swe) Francaise Des Jeux 1.03.17
2 Victor Hugo Pena (Col) Phonak 0.35
3 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Cofidis 1.36
4 Christopher Horner (USA) Davitamon-Lotto 2.40
5 Magnus Backstedt (Swe) Liquigas 2.41

http://live.cyclingnews.com/?id=latest

Hooray for Sweden for this time being.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Speacking of Pozzato, is there something wrong with him? been dropped on more then one stage so far or is he just a bit underdone?

Craig

World Traveller
I think Boonen has been working him like a dog on the front (like Garate), and at the speed has been setting, he drops off knowing he won't get eliminated due to the time limit (which is 18% of the winners time) and cruises in. Job done.

I think we will see him a break eventually, maybe on a transistational stage, I mean he has won one before (2004), and is a good one-day rider in his own right (biggest win is Milan-San Remo), so it wouldn't surprise me to see him in there during a a break on the stage after they are done in the Pyrennes.

The only man who has been exempt is Jose Rujano. But they are saving him for the Pyrennes and Alps.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Early results are mental... Rogers and Hincapie had better be saving themselves for their sakes - the GC is going to take one hell of a shake up.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
T-Mobile. Wow.

They have seven men in this race. Five of them are ahead of the best Discovery rider. The sixth is then a further four seconds behind Savoldelli.

GC (own calculations, might be a couple of seconds off)

1 Honchar (Ukr, TMO) 0'
2 Landis (USA, PHO) 59"
3 Rogers (Aus, TMO) 1'7"
4 Sinkewitz (Ger, TMO) 1'45"
5 Klöden (Ger, TMO) 1'50"
6 Fothen (Ger, GST) 1'50" (white jersey)
7 Karpets (Rus, CIB) 1'52"
8 Evans (Aus, DVL) 1'53"
9 Menchov (Rus, RAB) 2'
10 Zabriskie (USA, CSC) 2'3"
12 Moreau (Fra, AG2R) 2'7"
13 Savoldelli (Ita, DSC) 2'10"
14 Mazzoleni (Tys, TMO) 2'14"
16 Sastre (Spa, CSC) 2'27"
17 Hincapie (USA, DSC) 2'30"
Pererio Sio (Spa, PHO) 2'58"
Lövkvist (Swe, AG2R) 3'1"
Rous (Fra, BTL) 3'5"