• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2006 NBA Playoffs thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Nets are getting killed...looks like game 1 was just a fluke
both nets and the heat have been very inconsistent in the regular season and that form is continuing into the playoffs, that's all....look at how up-and-down miami was against chicago....when they are good, they can be really good, when they are bad, they can be horrible.....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Well thank you! But I think you underestimate the Spurs. Until the Mavs actually win the series, I will continue to think the Spurs are better. But that win yesterday sure did feel good! :)
I am not underestimating Spurs, but they are not playing their best now. They may very well win the series but that doesn't necessarily mean they are playing better. IMO Mavs are playing at a much higher level than the Spurs. Common these spurs were stretched to 6 games against Kings, Mavs swept the Grizs.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
clippers lead 116-94 with 2 min remaining in the 4th...looks like they will level the series....:) hope they go on to beat phoenix....

Fusion

Global Moderator
Anil said:
poppovich needs to come up with a scheme to stop the mav's lane penetration, they were getting into the paint almost at will yesterday and the spurs' vaunted defense looked tired and listless...in any case, either team don't look likely to stop the pistons right now....:@

Why not? These are the two best teams in the Western Conference. So even if they beat up on each other in a game, that doesn't necessarily mean their level of play is poor. It's like Boxing and one heavyweight had a great round...there's still plenty more rounds to go! I think both these teams can defeat the Spurs. That's not to say they will, but they have a shot. IMO, the Pistons, Spurs, and Mavs are all very close to each other in terms of talent.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Why not? These are the two best teams in the Western Conference. So even if they beat up on each other in a game, that doesn't necessarily mean their level of play is poor. It's like Boxing and one heavyweight had a great round...there's still plenty more rounds to go! I think both these teams can defeat the Spurs. That's not to say they will, but they have a shot. IMO, the Pistons, Spurs, and Mavs are all very close to each other in terms of talent.
As much as I like Pistons to lose, I dont see any NBA team beating the Pistons right now. Only Pistons can beat themselves and that's the only way any other team wiil have the NBA title this year. Spurs look great on Paper, but NBA isn't played on paper.:)

1. Pistons are way above everyone else

2. Mavs, Spurs, Clippers, Suns (in that order)
3. Heat, Nets (no particular order)
4. Cavaliers.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
i don't feel the spurs are playing at the same level they were last year even though they won a franchise record 63 games this season, might have something to do with duncan's season-long foot injury, i don't know....ginobli is also not playing at last year's level...parker is playing great, i know but somehow i don't get the feeling they can repeat...

as for the mavs, they have certainly improved under avery johnson...they are as potent offensively and are much improved defensively....but they still cannot compare to either the spurs or the pistons on defense...

this is where the pistons score...they have significantly improved their offense while not letting it affect their defense too much....and it is clearly showing in these playoffs...and that's why i feel they are playing at a different level than even the mavs or the spurs....while a fully fit spurs have a chance against the pistons, i for one don't think the mavs do....

Dravid

International Captain
Pistons have the best defense in the league...no one...I mean no one plays better D than them, and they've proved that through out the season. If any other team wants to win the title this year they have to play really really really REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y good...Pistons might lose 1 or 2 games in the finals..but the series..I highly doubt it

Fusion

Global Moderator
Although it's quite difficult, I'm doing cartwheels and typing at the same time! Mavs win and lead the series 2-1 now. This one came down to the wire, just like game 1. I gotta give major props to Dirk, he twists his ankle there at the end but still finishes the game (including a HUGE rebound and free throws after the injury). And that last shot by Horry...I thought for sure it was going in! How many times have we seen him making those shots in the playoffs? Anyway I'm on cloud nine right now. I just hope Dirk is ok for the next game!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Although it's quite difficult, I'm doing cartwheels and typing at the same time! Mavs win and lead the series 2-1 now. This one came down to the wire, just like game 1. I gotta give major props to Dirk, he twists his ankle there at the end but still finishes the game (including a HUGE rebound and free throws after the injury). And that last shot by Horry...I thought for sure it was going in! How many times have we seen him making those shots in the playoffs? Anyway I'm on cloud nine right now. I just hope Dirk is ok for the next game!
yeah that was a great win for the mavs, duncan's fouling out with a min left that caused nowitzki's injury was a huge factor, i feel....what's with ginobli this season? he is making too many mistakes in the final seconds....and after playing so well in the 4th quarter....yeah you are right, if nowitzki isn't there, it's gonna be tough for the mavs to contain the spurs in game 4....

Fusion

Global Moderator
Anil said:
yeah that was a great win for the mavs, duncan's fouling out with a min left that caused nowitzki's injury was a huge factor, i feel....what's with ginobli this season? he is making too many mistakes in the final seconds....and after playing so well in the 4th quarter....yeah you are right, if nowitzki isn't there, it's gonna be tough for the mavs to contain the spurs in game 4....
Yeah Ginobli has taken a step back this year for some reason. Is he injured perhaps? You can't blame one guy for the loss, but him losing the pass at the end was huge. I agree with you that Duncan fouling out was probably the deciding factor for the Mavs win. If he's in the game with a minute to go and Dirk playing hurt, I don't think the Mavs win.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
james pulls a triple-double out of his hat to get a win against detroit....they will still lose the series but his playoff debut has been a memorable one...

Fusion

Global Moderator
Anil said:
james pulls a triple-double out of his hat to get a win against detroit....they will still lose the series but his playoff debut has been a memorable one...
Sanz thinks that King James won't stick around to win titles with Cleveland. I don't know about that. It's not going to happen anytime soon, but I have a feeling that when (not if) he does win titles it will be with the Cavs.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
I agree with you that Duncan fouling out was probably the deciding factor for the Mavs win. If he's in the game with a minute to go and Dirk playing hurt, I don't think the Mavs win.
yes, especially considering how well he was playing till then....anyway, game 4 is a must-win for the spurs, if they fall into a 1-3 hole against this mavs team, i don't think they can climb out of it....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Sanz thinks that King James won't stick around to win titles with Cleveland. I don't know about that. It's not going to happen anytime soon, but I have a feeling that when (not if) he does win titles it will be with the Cavs.
well....it's possible but he needs a much better support cast, i really can't see him going all the way in the company of ilgauskas, hughes, marshall, gooden, snow et al...all good players mind you but look at the limitations: 1. james is the only playmaker 2. most of the time he is the only big scorer 3. they are not a good defensive team....he needs much better players around him for the cavs to be serious contenders....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
James isn't going anywhere and for Cavs to win a championship, it would require a massive rebuild and I dont see that happening in near future. He will end up like KG in Twolves and hey KG put up great numbers for years both offensively and defensively.

James may go on to become a better player than KG but he is not there yet and did I say that KG never won a championship and he never will (at least not with Minnesota). Also dont forget KG played mostly in the era of Shaq, Robinson and Duncan and still became the MVP(second twice to Duncan), took his team to West Conf Finals once, made to seven straight playoffs.

Also I dont think Lebron is a better player than Kobe (on either side of court) and I have watched Kobe for close to 8 years and I dont think he is going to win any more championship either.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Heat up 3-1 and that's without much help from Shaq. I hope he is going to step up his game against Pistons. Also hope that the Heat dont go down like the Lakers and lose 4-3.

Suns/Clips next, Clips better take care of Suns in this game else they are out.

Edit :- Clips made it look easy. Did anyone watch Raja Bell in the 3rd Q, the guy was raining 3s.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the heat string together 3 consistent games! i guess part of that is due to a reasonably fit roster after a long, long time.....i don't think the nets can come back from this.....as for the clippers, i think they have to try and steal this in 6, if it stretches to 7, i feel phoenix will take it on home court just like they did against the lakers....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the cavs tie the series with the pistons....:laugh: i hope now 'sheed shuts his big mouth and lets his game do the talking....the pistons will still win but they will find it difficult to brush off this loss like they did game 3....a little too arrogant and dismissive they were, hopefully they learned their lesson....