Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: British sports personality of the year

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    You really think so? I have not heard of 4 of them and those that I have heard of hardly seem to have had amazing years and a massive impact internationally.

Fair to say Im not on the pulse of British sports but it isnt a very inspiring list.

Id give it to Button

OOI which 4 haven't you heard of?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Best list for some time I'd of thought. boxing world heavyweight champion, Ashes winning captain and main contributor. F1 World champion and our highest rated mens tennis player since eons. World champion at athletics have always featured too.

Still a meh-event, but slightly less meh then most years, in my opinion.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    OOI which 4 haven't you heard of?
    Risking looking ignorant I have not heard of-
    Jessica Ennis
    Beth Tweddle
    Mark Cavendish
    Tom Daley

I guess their activities do not permeate my world.

Out of intetrest, what has Giggs done to deserve nomination? Did I miss some big event?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

cpr
    Bit harsh on Giggs, yes winning player of the year was a bit of a joke, but he's a 36 year old guy absolutely tearing the hell out of premiership defences (i'd say he's been better this season than last), and is outperforming some of Englands top stars. I think he deserves recognition for what he's doing and how easy he's making it look despite his age. Not a winner, but worth nomination
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Risking looking ignorant I have not heard of-
    Jessica Ennis
    Beth Tweddle
    Mark Cavendish
    Tom Daley

I guess their activities do not permeate my world.

Out of intetrest, what has Giggs done to deserve nomination? Did I miss some big event?
    yeah i guessed three of them, thought the other would have been idowu instead of cavendish.

Ennis (Heptathlon), Tweddle (Gymnastics), and Daley (Diving) are all world champions. Though iirc, Ennis pretty much won by default since Kluft opted out (she hadnt lost for 6 years), Daley is only about 6, and Tweddle looks like she's had a few too many arguments with the parralel bars. (World Champ in gymnastics a decent acheivement tho for a Brit)

Cavendish, depends on how you view cycling, but think he won about 4 or 5 stages on the TDF and is maybe the best pure sprinter in cycling.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Though iirc, Ennis pretty much won by default since Kluft opted out (she hadnt lost for 6 years)
    Yeah, but she would have been injured anyway. (That said, there's a Yank who probably should have beat her, but failed in American qualifying due to injury.)

Cavendish, depends on how you view cycling, but think he won about 4 or 5 stages on the TDF and is maybe the best pure sprinter in cycling.
    No maybe about it.
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 06-12-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

yeah i guessed three of them, thought the other would have been idowu instead of cavendish.

Ennis (Heptathlon), Tweddle (Gymnastics), and Daley (Diving) are all world champions. Though iirc, Ennis pretty much won by default since Kluft opted out (she hadnt lost for 6 years), Daley is only about 6, and Tweddle looks like she's had a few too many arguments with the parralel bars. (World Champ in gymnastics a decent acheivement tho for a Brit)

I know of Phillips Idowu. I was a triple jumper myself (and a pretty good one if I do say so myself) and follow it far closer than any 'normal' person would. Saying that just because it was my event doesnt change the fact that it is a pretty low key track and field event. As is Heptathlon.

As for cycling, I dont know the name as I dont have an opinion on the sport. I dont view it a particular way, it just isnt on my radar (saying that probably more so than diving).

Surely Button has to win, right?
    Last edited by Goughy; 06-12-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Won 6 of them this year and 4 last year in the Tour de France.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Have voted for Strauss, never understood F1 winners, 'tis the car surely.

BTW an heptathlete and a triple-jumper have won this before, so it wouldn't be that odd if either took it out. Ennis would be my second choice.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Makes for pretty awful television as well.

Can give a fairly good reflection on what sort of year it has been for British Sport though, have a reasonable selection of candiates this time round, there was that horrific year when princess whats her face Phillps won.
    Darren Clarke was odds-on to take it that year after helping win the Ryder Cup just after his wife died. There's a feeling in Northern Ireland that the whole thing is ridiculously Anglo-centric, David Healy didn't even make the nominations when he broke the World Cup Qualifiers goalscoring record.

Personally I don't care in the slightest, the whole award is so full of **** that it makes me mildly angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Healy's hardly a shock though, rarely do footballers actually get in the reckoning.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Bit harsh on Giggs, yes winning player of the year was a bit of a joke, but he's a 36 year old guy absolutely tearing the hell out of premiership defences (i'd say he's been better this season than last), and is outperforming some of Englands top stars. I think he deserves recognition for what he's doing and how easy he's making it look despite his age. Not a winner, but worth nomination
    Agree completely with this, unsurprisingly.

The award is supposed to go to a personality apparently, which immediately rules out most of this list.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

True, but if an English footballer broke the all-time record for goals in a World Cup Qualifying campaign (including, amongst other things, a hat-trick to beat Spain 3-2) he'd win the award so conclusively it would barely be worth holding a ceremony. Healy did it in a vastly inferior team and didn't even warrant a mention.

I don't overly care in truth, but the people in Norn Iron who take the award seriously do have a pretty legitimate grievance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Agree completely with this, unsurprisingly.

The award is supposed to go to a personality apparently, which immediately rules out most of this list.
    Yeah. Graeme Swann should have it nailed down if we're taking the award's title literally.

Well, it's one of the reason's I wouldn't vote for Giggs and think Ennis is a worthy winner is that she posesses a "personality".

Mind you it's the most tired joke in the world whether this award is an oxymoron or a contradiction in terms, and with the likes of Davis, Mansell, Faldo, Hendry and Damon ****ing Hill, it's hard to argue at times.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information