• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A-League Thread

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Surely with the hype the first season is going to be the best chance to attract any names though...

Unless a hasbeen and a playboy hasbeen are the extent of your ambitions...
I'm not so sure we need big names. Dwight Yorke is one of the most recognised players because he was playing for Man U during their time of dominance.

But players like Muscat, Thompson, Milicic, Brosque, Zelic and Colosimo are the sort of players the league would rather attract. Former Socceroos, current Socceroos and fringe Socceroos. Plus there are alot of good young players.

Next season maybe one more well known player can be added and so the trend continues. But one thing is for sure, there has been alot of quality football played.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Surely with the hype the first season is going to be the best chance to attract any names though...

Well similar leagues around the world like J-League and MSL didn't big names in the first season, they started attracting them more in later seasons. But TBH i think most football fans in Australia prefer to see top Australian play rather then overseas so called stars. So i think its more important to bring back guys like Zane, Agostino, Okon, Moore and Skoko etc then some more guys like Yorke. When it comes down to it majority of the overseas big names have been flops, so far. The last thing the A-League wants to become is another league like Qatar or Saudi Arabi, where they bring over guys that just want a some extra money before they retire.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
Kazu was around before Nakata, but they did play for Japan together for a long while.

Did any of you guys see Total Football last week? Apparently an Asian Champions League isn't spot for 2006 isn't looking good, as logistically it would throw off the competition structure. Hence they'd need to go from 28 to 32 meaning they'd need to find more teams even though alot of it has already been sorted. From 2007 onwards though our spot is 100% assured.
I didn't see Total Football, but i thought they were expanded the group stages by 4, by allowing Australia to have 2 spots, one spot to the last seasons winner and another to the AFC Cup winner.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeh i heard its likely Aus wont get representation, apparently theres just not enough time to revamp the competition to make it work...

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:

Another point you miss is that clubs here have a salary cap of approx $1.25 - 1.5m (not sure on the exact figure) and one marque player which isn't included in the salary cap (can be whoever or how much the club wants to spend), for the time being, so isn't as though clubs are going to have a Qantas/British Airways Jet tuning through 'Galaticos' (sp?) through the arrivals lounge now are they?

I mean the crowd support in Queensland has been pretty good - the Roar were the first team to hit the 100,000 supporters to come through their gates at Suncorp.

If you get the chance, take some well earned holiday leave and on a well deserved holiday to a warmer climate and see for yourself (although you won't pay so much for alcholol at the ground but it isn't that special).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
But players like Muscat, Thompson, Milicic, Brosque, Zelic and Colosimo are the sort of players the league would rather attract. Former Socceroos, current Socceroos and fringe Socceroos.
And without exception rubbish.

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
And without exception rubbish.
Certianly not.

Australia doesn't have the calibre of players that England has. Does that mean we're all rubbish? Clearly you're trying to be as negative as you possibly can towards Australian football.

Blaze

Banned
Cloete said:
Certianly not.

Australia doesn't have the calibre of players that England has. Does that mean we're all rubbish? Clearly you're trying to be as negative as you possibly can towards Australian football.

It is bordering on flame bait.

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Those players you listed aren't even good enough for Championship standard though.
Muscat has played for Rangers, Crystal Palace, Wolverhampton and Millwall

Zelic has played for Borussia Dortmund, 1860 Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt, Auxerre, Queens Park Rangers, FC Tirol and Urawa Reds

Milicic has played for NAC Breda, Rijeka and Pahang

Colosimo has played for Man Citeh, Racing Genk and Antwerp

Archie Thompson has played for Standard Lierse (He was basically their best player for a long time)

Brosque's played for Westerlo and Feyenoord

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I really dont like soccer, but Im interested in how the A-League is going.. after all, Aussies like to be good at everything.

WHY do English people come in here and just bag it out with snotty side remarks? Its not as if were comparing it to the Premier League, its got nothing to do with your competition AT ALL. Cant you just let people discuss it peacefully?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
My mates and I have started calling it association (as in association football of course). It means we don't get confused with the other football codes. This trend will take off I tell you :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
My mates and I have started calling it association (as in association football of course). It means we don't get confused with the other football codes. This trend will take off I tell you :p
How about Real Football... :D :p

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I still don't understand why they call it football instead of soccer.

One half of the country thinks of one sport as football, the other half thinks of two. None of these are soccer.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
I still don't understand why they call it football instead of soccer.

One half of the country thinks of one sport as football, the other half thinks of two. None of these are soccer.
Probably something to do with the fact that out of the 200odd countries that play football only 5 countries refer it to as another name and they are trying to make it only 4.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
But not all those 200 countries speak English. Of the English as first language speaking coutries, Britain calls it football, USA calls it soccer. What do Canada, NZ, etc call it?