• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 Memorial sporting moments ever......

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
:lol: :laugh: :lol:

That proved conclusively that short-track speed skating is the most idiotic, fake sport ever.
Nah, synchronised swimming, rhythmic gymnastics & figure skating all have it licked on that score. ;)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If this is a memorial sporting thread, surely it would mean those involved would need to have died?

If so:

1. Jack Lovelock wins gold in the 1500m at the 1936 Olympic Games before jumping/falling in front of a subway train in New York in 1949.
2. Ayrton Senna, just for being Ayrton Senna, right up until the second he died.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
If this is a memorial sporting thread, surely it would mean those involved would need to have died?

If so:

1. Jack Lovelock wins gold in the 1500m at the 1936 Olympic Games before jumping/falling in front of a subway train in New York in 1949.
2. Ayrton Senna, just for being Ayrton Senna, right up until the second he died.
I think it is just a case of confused terminology on the part of the thread-creator. In the case of a memorial, a recent cricketing example would be Malcolm Marshall, died of cancer at the age of 41 in 1999.

vasetti12

U19 Captain
Remember the 1966 world cup winners........England Glorious winners.....I think ill add that to my list and take out SA vs Aussies because at the end of the day SA never won the game so bad memories...lol

steds

Hall of Fame Member
1) St Helens beating Wigan in last years Challenge Cup final 32-16. The first time we'd beaten the scum in the cup final since 1966.
2) St Helens beating Brisbane Broncos in the 2001 World Club Challenge
3) Murali's second game for Lancashire, vs. Warwickshire at Southport in 1999, when his match figures were 68.5-29-117-14. Lancashire eventually lost by 19 runs, but to see him bowl the way he did was magical.
4) St Helens beating Wigan 19-0 in 2002.
5) Take your pick from any sporting game that Yorkshi*e (or a team from there) has lost.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm. Most memorable for me personally, in no particular order...

1999 - WC (cricket) semi-final between Australia and South Africa
1996 - WC (cricket) semi-final between Australia and West Indies (both amazing games, and Warne specials)
2000 - McGrath following up on his pre-series prediction that Lara would be his 300th test wicket AND completing a test hat-trick with the next ball.
1997 - Preliminary final of the A.F.L. where Adelaide came back through Darren Jarman from 6 goals down at 3/4 time to hit the front, and then Ben Hart's diving stop in the last few seconds on the goal-line to ensure a 2 point win, a grand final place and eventual premiership.
1994 - Brazil's WC win. Pretty terrible final in general, but I just remember really clearly watching Baggio miss that penalty and throw it all away.

vasetti12

U19 Captain
steds said:
1) St Helens beating Wigan in last years Challenge Cup final 32-16. The first time we'd beaten the scum in the cup final since 1966.
2) St Helens beating Brisbane Broncos in the 2001 World Club Challenge
3) Murali's second game for Lancashire, vs. Warwickshire at Southport in 1999, when his match figures were 68.5-29-117-14. Lancashire eventually lost by 19 runs, but to see him bowl the way he did was magical.
4) St Helens beating Wigan 19-0 in 2002.
5) Take your pick from any sporting game that Yorkshi*e (or a team from there) has lost.
You Gonna watch the Super 12?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
1) 26/5/99, 9:45pm.
2) World Cup Semi '99
3) Rugby 2003
4) Cantona's goal in FA Cup Final '96
5) Irani hammering a huge score (I forget exact amount) to help Essex survive in the Norwich Union last year

Link

State Vice-Captain
vasetti12 said:
Ah cantona those were the days.
of what, bad mouthing kicking people in the chest.

crime rate has dropped since then, until rooney showed up

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
superkingdave said:
Hey Sean, Paul Sculthorpe did the half time draw at Oldham today, shame it didn't do us any good
That defeat sent MK Dons one step closer to League Two.

Sometimes self interest must take a step back behind the good of the game.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Link said:
tat was'nt funny. that guy went to hospital
That guy was also a racist pig and deserved what he got - not that I'd advise Cantona to do it again.

After that, Cantona was a different player and only got booked once or twice afterwards in his career.

Also Link, with players like Viera and Petit on the scene, Arsenal didn't help the 'crime rate' either. Neither did Chelsea with Frank LeTwat as Rodney Marsh so admirably described him. Not that I like Rodney Marsh either, and usually he wasn't a very good pundit, but he did come out with some funny stuff.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
From before my time the best events are:

1) NZ win the Olympic hockey gold medal (beating the Aussies too!) - 1972 I believe
2) Peter Snell and Murray Halberg win gold at the Rome Olympics
3) NZ make the World Cup - 1982

During my life:

1) Hamish Carter and Bevan Docherty finish 1-2 in the Triathlon
2) Shane Bond's 6-23
3) NZ repeatedly beating the Aussies in the VB series

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
1) Sri lankas World cup win 1996
2) Jayasuriyas 340 against India (i loved the way the indian team congradulated jayasuriya once he got out)
3) France beating New Zealand in the rugby WC semi finals (1999 i think)
4) SL winning against England in the one off test series where murali rocked !!!

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
1) Sydney Roosters winning the 2002 premiership (Finally they came up with the goods, great for Freddie)
2) Steve Waugh's Ashes century in Sydney (The highlights still send chills up my spine)
3) The Roosters coming from well behind to beat Newcastle in the finals, 1998 (Stuck it up Joey)
4) Michael Slater's 219 (Got me into cricket)
5) The first day of the ashes, 2003 (At the ground, it was amazing)