• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Ok this is it, this is the Official Rugby Thread.

So Voltman, Richie Rash, and anyone else who is a big fan of rugby, get in here, and we'll down a few Irish Coffees and chat about the game they play in heaven.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Question: Once our forward pack potentially gets Keith Robinson back (although that is questionable) and our loosies consistently work together like they did against France, can the All Blacks be beaten?

Discuss. :laugh:

bryce

International Regular
from what i hear he may not be back, but otherwise i would say i'm looking foward to the lions going down, especially up front

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
from what i hear he may not be back, but otherwise i would say i'm looking foward to the lions going down, especially up front
I've heard a quote third-hand from the man saying that he is pretty much f****d. Bit of a shame really.

Maxwell to give 40 minutes with Gibbes off the bench for mine.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Voltman said:
Question: Once our forward pack potentially gets Keith Robinson back (although that is questionable) and our loosies consistently work together like they did against France, can the All Blacks be beaten?

Unfortunately no.

bryce

International Regular
Voltman said:
I've heard a quote third-hand from the man saying that he is pretty much f****d. Bit of a shame really.

Maxwell to give 40 minutes with Gibbes off the bench for mine.
gibbes is a bit of a worry IMO, he looked to be well above his normal playing weight in the final rounds of the npc and his work rate is nowhere near what it used to be - admittedly he has being playing in the tight of late and i think he will stay a lock for the rest of his career.
i hope ali williams can string together some consistent performances because he is the sort guy who can come onto the park as a sub, absolutley fizzing to go and really get stuck into it and potentially lift the team, he would be my ideal bench second rower provided he finds some form.

KennyD

Voltman said:

Robinson with that great big shining head could potentially be the best lineout jumper in the world. Add to his decent ball running skills, I have a lotta of respect for the man.

Can the All Balcks be beaten? Its hard, but all yo0u have to tell the ABs is that its an important World Cup match and then *gasp* can-t *gasp* b-b-b *cough* b-b-breathe *gasp* Im *cough splutter* ch-ch-choking...

:p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KennyD said:
Robinson with that great big shining head could potentially be the best lineout jumper in the world. Add to his decent ball running skills, I have a lotta of respect for the man.

Can the All Balcks be beaten? Its hard, but all yo0u have to tell the ABs is that its an important World Cup match and then *gasp* can-t *gasp* b-b-b *cough* b-b-breathe *gasp* Im *cough splutter* ch-ch-choking...

:p
Tee, hee! :p

When did the ABs last bump into Bill? 87 was it? :D

Seriously tho, The Lions winning in NZ is a huge ask. Off the top of my head it's happened once ever. That said, with our potential tight five, (England with Shane Byrne @ Hooker, essentially. No disrespect to Wally, but it'd be nice to have a guy who can throw in) if we play ugly, ten-man, old-skool England-stylee we have a chance. But if NZ can anything approaching parity of possession I fear for us.

If I could have one thing for Xmas it'd be D1ck Hill fit for the summer.

Oh, and Jonno will tour. As skipper. He can't leave it alone.

KennyD

BoyBrumby said:
Tee, hee! :p

When did the ABs last bump into Bill? 87 was it? :D

Seriously tho, The Lions winning in NZ is a huge ask. Off the top of my head it's happened once ever. That said, with our potential tight five, (England with Shane Byrne @ Hooker, essentially. No disrespect to Wally, but it'd be nice to have a guy who can throw in) if we play ugly, ten-man, old-skool England-stylee we have a chance. But if NZ can anything approaching parity of possession I fear for us.

If I could have one thing for Xmas it'd be D1ck Hill fit for the summer.

Oh, and Jonno will tour. As skipper. He can't leave it alone.
Play your ugly rugby with Wilko then...drop drop drop, PG, PG, drop, PG... :p

And even though I dont now who Shane Byrne is, hes most likely a hella lot better than that, that...that thing Tompson. I mean his face come on, we are trying to encourage children to watch rugby nowadays, not scare them away.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KennyD said:
Play your ugly rugby with Wilko then...drop drop drop, PG, PG, drop, PG... :p

And even though I dont now who Shane Byrne is, hes most likely a hella lot better than that, that...that thing Tompson. I mean his face come on, we are trying to encourage children to watch rugby nowadays, not scare them away.
Ironically enough there's a court-order preventing Wally going near children. Joke, not true! But he's bit of a child-scarer in the looks dept, yes.

Byrne's the be-mulleted Mick Hooker. Had a very tidy six nations & was magic at Twickers when they d1cked us there. Unlikely to win any beauty contests either tho...

& there's something to be said for kicking points...Charlie H would do well to remember that....

KennyD

BoyBrumby said:
Ironically enough there's a court-order preventing Wally going near children. Joke, not true! But he's bit of a child-scarer in the looks dept, yes.

Byrne's the be-mulleted Mick Hooker. Had a very tidy six nations & was magic at Twickers when they d1cked us there. Unlikely to win any beauty contests either tho...

& there's something to be said for kicking points...Charlie H would do well to remember that....
Ahh Hodgson, yes, I like his attacking play, hes very organised and his opassing is spot on, but that goal kicking and jis defence is a problem. And Andy Gormasall!, perhaps one of the easiest conversions you can get, and I know hes only a backup kicker, but he must have been kickin himself after the game for missing those 2 simple points.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KennyD said:
Ahh Hodgson, yes, I like his attacking play, hes very organised and his opassing is spot on, but that goal kicking and jis defence is a problem. And Andy Gormasall!, perhaps one of the easiest conversions you can get, and I know hes only a backup kicker, but he must have been kickin himself after the game for missing those 2 simple points.
To be fair to Gomersall, he's very much a goal-kicker of the deputy-assistant-fourth choice variety. Our actual back up was Henry Paul, who Andy Robinson hauled off after about 20 mins. No injury, a real bum call. :dry: If Robbo didn't fancy Henry he shouldn't have picked him in the first place. Sort of thing that can wreck a bloke's confidence. I wouldn't have blamed Henry if he'd have told us to shove it.

BTW: is your Paul (Jeremy, too gay a name for a hooker by far!!) related to Henry & Robbie, do you know? I saw in the program he's NZ-born too & they look pretty similar. Mind you, small country, small gene-pool I guess! :D

KennyD

BoyBrumby said:
To be fair to Gomersall, he's very much a goal-kicker of the deputy-assistant-fourth choice variety. Our actual back up was Henry Paul, who Andy Robinson hauled off after about 20 mins. No injury, a real bum call. :dry: If Robbo didn't fancy Henry he shouldn't have picked him in the first place. Sort of thing that can wreck a bloke's confidence. I wouldn't have blamed Henry if he'd have told us to shove it.

BTW: is your Paul (Jeremy, too gay a name for a hooker by far!!) related to Henry & Robbie, do you know? I saw in the program he's NZ-born too & they look pretty similar. Mind you, small country, small gene-pool I guess! :D
About Jeremy, no, I dont think they are related at all.

And with Henry, he was having a shocker though. He took a crash ball like 3 times only to have it ripped out of his grasp, and 2 forward passes I can remember.

But I watched him a bit in the England premiership league with Gloustecer? (& sp?) Yeah and he was playing really well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was having a mare, yes; but you really have to give a bloke at least a half. I know I'd be having a "frank & open exchange of opinion" with my coach if he hauled me off after 20!

Good game tho, enjoyed it a lot more than the Canada game. Props to my mate Chris for coming thru with a ticket at the last minute! Only international I missed in the autumn woulda been the one to go too! So much for the Saffies. Looked well average & pretty much full strength too!

BTW, how good is Matt Gituea? With Mortlock & Rathbone fit again you're looking well-served in the backs suddenly.

KennyD

oh Matt Giteau, boy wonder hey, and MOrtlock, class center, alwayes getting over that advantage line, and Rathbone too, great start to his career.

Yeah the backline that faced England was really weak for us, we had Sailor in for Rathbone, Tirinui in for Mortlock, and we missed our best bak in my opinion, Steve Larkham.

But then our backs have always been great, just a pack that needds a boot up the bum.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
nah Larkham is past his best by a long way, still has the odd good game but hes nowhere near what he used to be

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
nah Larkham is past his best by a long way, still has the odd good game but hes nowhere near what he used to be
Played some of his best international rugby in years on the recent NH tour...

KennyD

Voltman said:
Played some of his best international rugby in years on the recent NH tour...
Yes and his best ever Super 12 season with the Brumbies this year, helping them win the cup.

Dont worry about Bernie, he'll be right for another years to come he will be. :D