• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's quite clear that the coaching staff aren't really that concerned about the Grand Slam. If they were, we'd see some consistency in selection but it appears they want to see different combinations and add more depth.
The goal seems to be W.C 07 in France, which is fine by me. I'd rather take a World Cup win rather than beating 4 Nothern Hemisphere teams who are quite clearly off their game right now.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
It's quite clear that the coaching staff aren't really that concerned about the Grand Slam. If they were, we'd see some consistency in selection but it appears they want to see different combinations and add more depth.
The goal seems to be W.C 07 in France, which is fine by me. I'd rather take a World Cup win rather than beating 4 Nothern Hemisphere teams who are quite clearly off their game right now.
Totally agree...........Henry and Co obviously don't want to leave anything to chance come France 2007. I like this idea of having at least 2 teams to cover every position with each player having international experience. They certainly don't want a repeat of 1999 with Cullen at centre or 2003 with McDonald at centre.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
The goal seems to be W.C 07 in France
As someone with only a passing interest (if any at all) in union I'm probably mistaken, but I thought the one before the last one was in France? Geez. Time to let someone else have a go, I think...

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
steds said:
As someone with only a passing interest (if any at all) in union I'm probably mistaken, but I thought the one before the last one was in France? Geez. Time to let someone else have a go, I think...
THe last one was mainly in Wales? And Ireland and a little bit of Enlgnad and France, though just a little bit.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
KennyD said:
THe last one was mainly in Wales? And Ireland and a little bit of Enlgnad and France, though just a little bit.
Told you I was probably mistaken. I stand corrected.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And let's be honest about this team named against Ireland. You could make a good case for eight of the players being first-choice anyway: McDonald (shared with Muliaina this year), Howlett (started last 3N test against Australia), Mauger, Weepu, McCaw, Williams, Woodcock and Mealamu.

NZ by 20.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can see the Irish test being a bit more closer than the Welsh game.

It'll be interesting to see how Evans goes. He'll have assistance from Mauger, but I hope he takes a bit of onus himself instead of looking for others to get him out of trouble.

I think the Irish forward pack will have a bit more bite to it, particularly up-front..but I can see the AB's wearing them down after about 20 minutes and from then on I think we'll dominate and win reasonably comfortably.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
I can see the Irish test being a bit more closer than the Welsh game.

It'll be interesting to see how Evans goes. He'll have assistance from Mauger, but I hope he takes a bit of onus himself instead of looking for others to get him out of trouble.

I think the Irish forward pack will have a bit more bite to it, particularly up-front..but I can see the AB's wearing them down after about 20 minutes and from then on I think we'll dominate and win reasonably comfortably.
I was a little concerned about Afoa starting. That is, until I saw John Hayes named in the Irish front row. Hayes was absolutely monstered by his opposites on the Lions tour.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not really sure how John Hayes made the Lions side..he looked well out of his depth.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hayes is poo & wasn't even playing well for The Micks. He only went 'cos we were on our uppers tighthead-wise. Should've taken Adam Jones, not that he looked great against the ABs on Sat, mind.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It will be interesting when the NZ selectors pick the starting XV for the Last game against England - Thats assuming they go in with their best XV in that game.

Mellamu or Oliver at hooker?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I think they'll start Oliver - particularly to combat the strong England front row - and bring Mealamu on with about 20-25 mins to go.

Blaze

Banned
Bought the rugby channel yesterday for the month so that I can watch the internationals not shown on sky sports. Must say that from what I have seen the backs really are one dimensional and the teams play with far too much structure. Hardly ever give the ball some air or take risks.

Chubb

International Regular
Fiji (Raqawa) just scored a great try against Wales- I hope they can win. I like watching pacific islands teams, they're so entertaining. It's just a shame they don't do better consistently. Perhaps the answer is the combined Pacific Islands team, with the islands playing a super-14 like thing amongst themselves?

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Chubb said:
Fiji (Raqawa) just scored a great try against Wales- I hope they can win. I like watching pacific islands teams, they're so entertaining. It's just a shame they don't do better consistently. Perhaps the answer is a combined Pacific Islands team, with the islands playing a super-14 like thing amongst themselves?
Been tried - didn't work. The PIRA team played NZ, Australia and SA last year. They were good matches and there was some money raised, but $100,000 magically disappeared. The unions are also concerned about losing their identity, while it's also a great challenge to get players released from Northern Hemisphere clubs.

Wales play horribly boring rugby to win.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
*Refrains from making a comment about union in general.*
Snore. This coming from a fan of the most robotic game about. Five wriggles and a kick, five wriggles and a kick. Most players the same size, unlike union - the game for all sizes.

And if you think union is so boring, get off this thread.