• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
Did English supporters think that before they won? While I want the ABs to win the World Cup, I don't want us dropping a shedload of games inbetween. It's not part of the All Blacks culture. In saying that, I don't have any problems with the way the Henry Cartel is going about things.
I don't think it's any great secret things are pretty bad for us just lately. Our WC team has got older & v few of the players gone have been effectively replaced. I think it's a sign of how bad things are when we call up a Kiwi who barely used to make his provincial team much less the Super 12 side. Not that Van Gisbergen is a bad player, far from it. Just a tad ironic that as soon as he's eligible his form goes completely to pot.

Nz are looking v good just now, your strength in depth is quite amazing. It looks like a team to rival the best AB teams of recent history. However, to be fair, Mitchell's NZ didn't really do to much wrong until that semi either.

I don't necessarily agree that winning the WC should be the yardstick on which coaches reps are judged, but could you honestly say you'd be happy with a Slam tour, two more Tri-Nations titles & then another choke in the Webb Ellis?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It was always dangerous having Carlos Spencer as pivot. He could be brilliant one day, but he can also cost you matches with his erratic play too. With Daniel Carter, NZ will have more direction next time around..he's still got 2 years of development before the World Cup so he could be extremely dangerous by that time.

I think our forward pack will be much better in the next World Cup too. No longer is our forward pack being shunted back..its pretty much the opposite these days.

Our biggest weakness is still the line-outs, but Oliver looks as though he's improving and we've got some good jumpers coming through like James Ryan & of course the brilliant Chris Jack in the fold.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I don't think it's any great secret things are pretty bad for us just lately. Our WC team has got older & v few of the players gone have been effectively replaced. I think it's a sign of how bad things are when we call up a Kiwi who barely used to make his provincial team much less the Super 12 side. Not that Van Gisbergen is a bad player, far from it. Just a tad ironic that as soon as he's eligible his form goes completely to pot.

Nz are looking v good just now, your strength in depth is quite amazing. It looks like a team to rival the best AB teams of recent history. However, to be fair, Mitchell's NZ didn't really do to much wrong until that semi either.

I don't necessarily agree that winning the WC should be the yardstick on which coaches reps are judged, but could you honestly say you'd be happy with a Slam tour, two more Tri-Nations titles & then another choke in the Webb Ellis?
God, I get sick of this "another choke" business. 1991 was not a choke - we had got soundly beaten by Australia in the second Bledisloe test earlier that year and it was an old team. 1995 - choke? No. The team was sick - regardless of whether they were poisoned or not, they were sick. Along with this, the South Africans had the crowd, a vigorous defence and fervent support all going for them.
1999 was a mixture of a choke and France's brilliance. However, what others seem to neglect is another thrashing - 28-7 - we received from Australia earlier that year. I don't think we would have necessarily won the 1999 RWC anyway.

2003 was a choke - although that takes away somewhat from the tactics of Australia, who worked out to hold onto the ball to keep our outside backs' kick-return talents out of the game. Mitchell was found out for his lack of Plan B when nothing changed after halftime.

Tim, you say the lineouts are a weakness and neglect to mention Ali Williams. The man has been massive this year - and has outplayed Jack in most tests they've played together. Only one throw went awry from Oliver on the weekend, and we stole more ball than a kleptomaniac.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
To be fair, didn't the side start winning about 2 years before?
So was that building for the World Cup or winning every test, and treating every match as vital?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think it was builind towards the World Cup, and IIRC we did peak too early as it is - but we were still at a level good enough to win it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I think it was builind towards the World Cup, and IIRC we did peak too early as it is - but we were still at a level good enough to win it.
So is every test important to you as a supporter?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
God, I get sick of this "another choke" business. 1991 was not a choke - we had got soundly beaten by Australia in the second Bledisloe test earlier that year and it was an old team. 1995 - choke? No. The team was sick - regardless of whether they were poisoned or not, they were sick. Along with this, the South Africans had the crowd, a vigorous defence and fervent support all going for them.
1999 was a mixture of a choke and France's brilliance. However, what others seem to neglect is another thrashing - 28-7 - we received from Australia earlier that year. I don't think we would have necessarily won the 1999 RWC anyway.

2003 was a choke - although that takes away somewhat from the tactics of Australia, who worked out to hold onto the ball to keep our outside backs' kick-return talents out of the game. Mitchell was found out for his lack of Plan B when nothing changed after halftime.
Wow. Think I touched a nerve! :p

Last time I looked "another" just means "one more"! I didn't mean to denigrate NZ's efforts since time immemorial! You just have an unfortunate habit of looking like (being?) the best team in the world until in comes to the crunch. The 2005 vintage look very, very special & have the advantage of being a young team too. 1997 ABs were about the best team I've ever seen live (saw you play Wales @ Wembley), but Bunce & Little must've been well into their 30s by then and the Brooke bros not too far off it either. I def think the current line up has more mileage in it, certainly another 2 years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Voltman said:
So is every test important to you as a supporter?
To be honest no.

At the moment I find the Six Nations more important than the Autumn ones - possibly because we have more of a chance against them!

open365

International Vice-Captain
^me too.

The Autumn internationals were only good when England used to win them so we good show off how good we were.Now,if we win the 6 nations i'm happy,we play Australia and NZ to often.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
^me too.

The Autumn internationals were only good when England used to win them so we good show off how good we were.Now,if we win the 6 nations i'm happy,we play Australia and NZ to often.
:lol: Fair weather fans, eh? 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well I'm going to an autumn international this year. And If we don't win it I'll change my sig to "I love Eddie Jones & want to have his babies"!

I'm going to watch us v Samoa... :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
This weekends predictions:

France to beat Canada
NZ to beat Ireland
England to beat Australia
Italy to beat Tonga
Wales to beat Fiji

Scotland versus Argentina is a tricky one, but im gonna pick Scotland with home advantage.

Anna

Pretty fair predictions there. I'm not sure about Ben Cohen starting on the wing for England but I'll wait & see how he does on sat.

open365

Anna said:
Pretty fair predictions there. I'm not sure about Ben Cohen starting on the wing for England but I'll wait & see how he does on sat.
Me neither,He used to be the best wing in the world but went crappy after the world cup(like bloody Ben Kay.I know he's scored 6 tries in four games,but 3 of them were against an italian club side.i'm just not sure if he's really turned the corner yet.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KennyD said:
He has a japanese mother.

So watch what you say, white boy.
As Roger Daltry sang "I look all white, but my dad was black" & by "black" of course I mean "white". :p

Eddie's not so bad really, just a cartoon Pom-basher. Kinda ironic him & Campo have such issues with each other...

On a completely different topic I see NZ have announced 15 changes for the Ireland game! Literally the whole team. Beeb's report here. If the All Blacks were the Harlem Globetrotters Henry would be spinning the ball on his finger about now.