• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Red Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Northern Districts v CW Red
in Gisborne

Scorecard
Commentary

Big hitting from in-form Rob Dauth and Chris Dwyer, and key left-arm nigglers from Kingsley Clapham, ensured a comfortable victory for the Reds at the tiny Harry Barker Reserve in Gisborne. The couple of men and dogs assembled saw Luff and Bennett get the Red innings off to a confident start with 88, and though Alun Evans struck to remove David Kearsley, Red kept the momentum going throughout. Bennett led from the front, making a measured and patient 86 amid accusations from opposing bowlers that he "batted like Simon Katich". However, with Dauth and Dwyer's attractive strokeplay (35 and 38 respectively) the target got up to an attractive 270 for nine. Gaurav Nayak also made an application for a batting position higher than ten with a couple of lovely pull shots in the final overs.

In reply, Northern Districts never got going at all. Alun Evans' 31 was the best score; he sliced a cut to Luff at point, as Clapham came on as first-change to take three for 26 and send the hosts into disarray at 99 for four. James Marshall, Peter McGlashan and Mark Orchard all failed to carry on with their starts, as part-timers Robbins and Dwyer outfoxed them with variations, and Bennett and Raghav cleaned up the tail for a comfortable win.

Cricket Web Red 270-9 (50 overs)
SA Bennett 86, MD Luff 44, CR Dwyer 38, RJ Dauth 35; DR Tuffey 4-58, GW Aldridge 2-50

Northern Districts 177 all out (41.1 overs)
AW Evans 31; KR Clapham 3-26 [7], SA Bennett 2-11 [4], MJ Robbins 2-33 [6]

Cricket Web Red won by 93 runs
Man of the Match: S. A. Bennett (Red)

Tomorrow, we travel to Napier for a couple of matches in the McLean Park. The elevenses are as follows:

Carmine

A Sharma
SA Bennett
RJ Dauth
CP Thompson
CR Dwyer
MS Sinclair
MR Reddlapalli
BBJ Griggs
+H Mørk
S Raghav
DM Kennett

Vermilion

MD Luff
GKK Dobson
DA Kearsley
MJ Robbins
+JR Gray
GN Nayak
GEF Barnett
AD Niblett
KR Clapham
DJ Watt
MU Amir

One-day match first, then first-class.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:D Left Arm Nigglers, 3-26 :)

Well played by Bennett as well... a good all-round performance from Reds :cool:

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Fre promising signs by the lads there.... Especially by Bennett!

Please dont tell me im going to have one of these annoyingly bad seasons again!

Bobisback

International Regular
Hmm, im yet to make an impact, hoping to step my game up soon, so i can have a shot at cementing a spot.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Its a good field day for REDS.....

Good Performance by Benett and Clapham...

And this being my debut game, I got a good decent performance in my first match...

Tuffey got the wicket the wicket of mine, and I responded with a wicket of his..

Hot things are boiling here....Anyway, we got a good start to this season..

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, that knock was unexpected...

Anyway, two top-class wins there, with everyone contributing. Nice 5-for from Amir in the first game, and good bowling from Clapo in the last one.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
yea well batted dauth and well bowled amir in the first match and clapham in the second a pretty good start to the tour allround

David

International 12th Man
Just so you all know, I'll be away in China from the 6th until the 14th. I'll not have internet access afaik.