• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
CricketWeb Times

We got it all over them
Sick Test batsman speaks out

Chris Butler, the CW XI batsman who has been taken ill with chickenpox and required intensive treatment in Nixontown General Hospital, is now on the way to returning to the world of the living, and is expected to be released from hospital in the next week, with another week required to reach full match fitness. The CricketWeb Times caught up with him, and conducted an interview from a safe distance.

Butler is particularly positive about the next two Tests, despite the fact that he will still be bedridden during them. When questioned about his predictions for the series, Butler was confident that the side would prevail in both the next two Tests, and said that "apart from the 1st Test fielding meltdown, we have completely dominated this Pakistan team", and also said the recent injury to in-form batsman Mohammad Yousuf gave the team an advantage.

When asked about the "fielding meltdown", Butler mentioned watching the second Pakistani innings of the first Test as "particularly painful"; Pakistan racked up over 600 as CW XI dropped catches and bowled inaccurate lines, one of their worst Test bowling performances since the infamous Test defeat in Bangladesh. Nevertheless, he said that the team "showed a lot of heart to come back."

Butler has been solid in Test cricket, scoring 1,286 runs at a batting average of 36.74, with two Test centuries. The best of them, at least in memory if not in the scorebook, was the magnificent 107 in the series-drawing effort at Melbourne, as he and captain Brendan Goff took the game away from the Aussies and helped CW XI achieving what was arguably their greatest achievement in the Test arena. This was meant to establish him as a Test player. Instead, he faces an upward battle after both David Kearsley and Rob Dauth played mature knocks in the second Test against Pakistan; still, Butler says that he's had "encouraging words with the selectors," and is "positive" about his chances to return to the international fold in the next series.

This despite his recent World Cup, where Butler had an important role at four behind ODI greats Markus, Camps and Goff. However, when CW chased a stiff 299 in the final, Butler came in at 187 for three and failed to keep the run rate up against Gillespie, who had him caught behind for six. He ended the World Cup with an average of 26.12, though he didn't have the chance to boost his average against the weak opposition in the preliminary stages, and said that "the World Cup was strange" and that he hoped he had "done enough in the past to keep his spot."

cbuts

International Debutant
i said it was a strange world cup for me personally, as i didnt play a part for the team in the first 2 or 3 games.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wright To Play On

It has been a big week for the Cricketweb Colts with the gaining of experienced fast bowler Nath Patrick and the news gets better for Colts' fans with inaugural captain and former Cricketweb fast bowler Kyle Wright announcing today that he will not retire at the end of this domestic season and will play on.

In a move that has been welcomed by many given the speedster’s recent form and the Colts desperately needing experienced players given their recent woes on the field, Wright said that he could not leave a team in need of obvious experience stating that his personal situation has changed and he has been able to devote more time to the Colts which is the catalyst for his decision.

"At the end of last season I just wasn't enjoying my cricket. I had a few issues of the field which affected my performance on the field which ultimately led to my sacking from the international side. I didn't think I could give my best for the Colts so I decided to make this season my last." Wright said.

"However I have started this season in fairly good shape and after consulting with Daniel and the Colts' management I decided that my commitment was back and I was enjoying the game again. My off field situation has improved and I'm looking forward to this season and hopefully many more to come.

"Fans have been telling me that I shouldn't give up, and well, they're the people who we play for so I can't let them down. I'd also like to be playing in this team when we win a trophy, so I'll be around for a few more seasons yet, hopefully watching this team grow and develop into one of the more successful sides. I'm here to say, I'm not done yet. There is plenty more for me to do."

Asked if he had any thoughts of breaking back into the test team Wright said although he thought it unlikely that he would ever be called back, he said he would take the opportunity if presented.

"While I enjoyed playing for my country at all levels, I think my time has passed. I was never the most consistent bowler, particularly in the one day games, but of course I would play for the international eleven if given the chance. There's a good bunch of young bowlers currently playing or in the mix for playing so I think I'm a long way behind, but if the selectors think I'd be the man to do the job, I would take the opportunity." Wright said.

The Colts next face black tomorrow night.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The NJS News
The Official Newspaper of Nixonstown Junior School: Issue 64

"I said it cause Blackman did"
By Christopher King

A nine-year-old boy has been suspended from Nixonstown Junior School after swearing at a member of staff during a PE lesson.

LEFT OUT: Steven, 9, has been suspended for three days

Year five pupil Steven Bainbridge will miss the rest of the week's lessons, and also sports matches for the rest of term. He has been suspended because of what he said to his class teacher, Michael Rydon, whilst playing a game of cricket.

Paul Jensen, another boy in 5B, told the NJS News what happened. "Steven was batting and I was bowling to him. I thought he missed the ball and it hit him on the pads, so I asked Mr Rydon if it was LBW."

"Mr Rydon said it was out, but Steven didn't think it was. He said he hit it, then when he got told that not to argue, he said 'that's a f-ing joke'. We just stood there really shocked and then Mr Rydon told Steven to go back inside and get changed and then go straight to the headteacher."

Steven has not been in any big trouble at school before. When we asked him why he said it, he told us, "I didn't know it was that bad, I didn't think I would get suspended for it. I only said it because Alex Blackman did after a Dev League match in the press conference, I thought that meant it was okay."

Whether Steven understood or not, it can't be good that our heroes are using this language in front of everyone. They should be setting examples and not teaching us how to swear.

What do you think about this story? We'll print the best comments next week. Email njsnews@hotmail.com

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I have to say it's a sad day when a school suspends a pupil with no history of causing trouble for merely an isolated incident, the most sensible cause of action would have been a meeting with the childs parents, lunchtime detention or ban from participating in extra curricular activities. Disruption the childs education is the worst thing that can happen in this case. LEA should intervene imo.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wright In Hot Water

Text messaging scandals have often only been a place for the Australian cricket team and in particular Shane Warne, however former Cricketweb International fast bowler and Colts Captain Kyle Wright has been accussed of sending abusive text messages to his former Reds skipper Marc Robbins after the Colts destroyed the Reds in their recent First Class outing where the Colts won by 10 wickets.

In an unsual display, Colts' 12th man David Comley was seen running out Wright's mobile phone at the fall of each wicket in the Red's first and second innings as Wright spent up to 1 minute huddled with the team and laughing continuously as Wright has been accused of sending messages to Robbins who is currently in camp with the Cricketweb team to face Pakistan in their ODI series.

When asked whether the accusations were true, Wright had this to say, "Of course they are. Robbins has been outspoken about the Colts all year, bordering on public humiliation of the side. I thought it was time he copped some of his own medicine. I was particularly brutal during Howler's (Malthus-Howell) innings. I was updating Marc every 2 minutes. I sure don't look forward to getting my phone bill this month. But, it will be worth it, it is a great price to pay after beating the biggest mouths in the dev league - yes, that's the Reds. Of course I want the Colts to keep winning, but if that is our last win of the season it is a satisfying one. The Reds deserve all they get, they just can't shut up." Wright then spent the next three minutes laughing, and we were unable to ask him any more questions.