• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the tournament?

Who is your pick for Man of the Tournament?

• David Warner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitchell Starc

• Jasprit Bumrah

• Lockie Ferguson

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shakib did not go home to Bangladesh with the team, and stayed in England "for personal reasons". I wonder if that reason is because he has been asked to be present at Lords on the 14th to receive the award?
I highly doubt it would have been decided yet, before the finals. From what I gather of Shakib's personality though it wouldn't surprise me if by his own initiative he decided to stay because he thinks he will win it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I highly doubt it would have been decided yet, before the finals.
Well they usually award it before the actual final, so deciding before the semi finals doesn't seem too big of a stretch. My best guess though is that they've told him he's heavily in the mix with no promises tbh.

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
Rohit's failure last night probably puts him out of contention in my opinion. It's likely he won't even finish as the leading run scorer and he failed when it mattered most. It's probably now down to Shakib, Starc, a matchwinning hundred from Kane, or Bairstow/Stokes producing back-to-back matchwinning performances.

Funnily enough, Warner is now likely to finish leading runscorer and break Tendulkar's 673 run record but he has barely been mentioned in man-of-the-tournament discussions by the media. He seems to be out of favour.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Funnily enough, Warner is now likely to finish leading runscorer and break Tendulkar's 673 run record but he has barely been mentioned in man-of-the-tournament discussions by the media. He seems to be out of favour.
Funny that . . .

Howe_zat

Audio File
If Root or Williamson get a ton in the final they'll be top run scorer for the tournament. Would be hard not to award it to them

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Roy, Bairstow or Williamson

Depends on who out of these three produce a match winning performance in the final

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
Nothing has happened in the semi finals to diminish Shakib's appeal. If anything, he's an easier choice now. I see Williamson as the only danger. Of all the players in the tournament who have scored 500+ runs, Shakib and Williamson are the only ones who have done it when consistently under pressure with wickets tumbling around them. If Williamson lifts the trophy as captain after a matchwinning 100 then I would be comfortable with the choice if he were to get the award.

Even if England win it, I don't see how anyone from their team can get it. No one has been statistically outstanding...they've just had 5 or 6 very good contributors. Stokes, Bairstow, Root, Roy, Archer... and then you've got Woakes who was the most important contributor in the semi final. It's impossible to choose one of these guys above Shakib.

And as some people have suggested, does the final even matter? Or will it already be picked?

Naarn

Cricket Spectator
Roy, Bairstow or Williamson

Depends on who out of these three produce a match winning performance in the final
Match winning performances in the final have never mattered in the past:
1992: Wasim Akram
1996: Aravinda De Silva
1999: Shane Warne
2003: Ricky Ponting
2007: Adam Gilchrist

Some unbelievable performances in there. None of them won the player of the series.

Yuvraj in 2011 and Starc in 2015 were both very good in the final, but had the tournament stats to back it up regardless.