• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Offical** Commentary complaints thread

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not impressed with Ganguly. And very surprised to hear Kallis on. He is not the most boisterous guy and his almost no commentary experience to start at a WC.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nasser Hussain was ****ing terrible in that game last night. Jingoistic and partisan AF. As bad as I've heard from him. I usually don't mind his understated sort of schtick.
To be fair, why shouldn't he sound more bullish and confident about them given how well they've been playing in recent years, considering he used to be dour, and cynical about them when they were garbage?

Bill Lawry's my all-time fav, but Hussain isn't even close to his level in terms of flying the flag from the comm-box when his side was dominating.

Zinzan

Not impressed with Ganguly. And very surprised to hear Kallis on. He is not the most boisterous guy and his almost no commentary experience to start at a WC.
Ah, that was Kallis was it? I did wonder. For a big strong strapping all-rounder, a little surprised to hear a slightly effeminate voice.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I missed Kallis commentating. Pretty happy about that, as I can only imagine it was dull.

I really enjoy Pollock's commentary but I got really annoyed yesterday when he twice in about 10 seconds said that England scored 319 when they'd scored 311 and the scoreboard was up on the screen to prove it.

Zinzan

I missed Kallis commentating. Pretty happy about that, as I can only imagine it was dull.

I really enjoy Pollock's commentary but I got really annoyed yesterday when he twice in about 10 seconds said that England scored 319 when they'd scored 311 and the scoreboard was up on the screen to prove it.
I've always enjoyed Pollock's commentary tbh, and even Graeme Smith is growing on me a little after I thought he was god-awful when I first heard him.

_Ed_

even Graeme Smith is growing on me a little after I thought he was god-awful when I first heard him.
A couple of times I saw him play highlights of his own batting as part of his analysis. I'm glad he's stopped doing that.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I've always enjoyed Pollock's commentary tbh, and even Graeme Smith is growing on me a little after I thought he was god-awful when I first heard him.
Yeah Polly just seems like a great guy. And always sounds incredibly calm on the mic.

Not a fan of Smith, but indeed, he's not by any stretch god-awful. Which I find somewhat surprising.

Flem274*

123/5
graeme smith is a meme in this house. he's awful. my flatmate is a casual fan and even he thinks smith's commentary is so state the obvious its punishing.

"they'll want to pick up a wicket" a particular highlight.

morgieb

I think the commentators for the most apart (apart from the cringe Viv stint) have been decent, then I see the Aus game has Michael Clarke and Russell Arnold. Groan.

EDIT: It's Sanjay Manjrekar actually. That's even worse.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just find myself agreeing with Slats that the penalty for Smith and Warner was excessive.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I think the commentators for the most apart (apart from the cringe Viv stint) have been decent, then I see the Aus game has Michael Clarke and Russell Arnold. Groan.

EDIT: It's Sanjay Manjrekar actually. That's even worse.
Yeah, Sanju Manju is horrible. Always reserved in appreciation of a good/great player and never misses an opportunity to bring down a decent/average player.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'm getting really tired of Slater talking past stuff over every ball.
Example is he was talking about him and Taylor running between the wkts while a very good bouncer was bowled and was almost nicked behind. Not a word from Slats, just kept talking himself (he even keeps talking when a 4 is scored, or just offers 'shot'

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Is Sunil Gavaskar around this time ? Him mentioning run rate of 4.36 as "Four Point thirty six" is an insult to the conventional description of decimals.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm getting really tired of Slater talking past stuff over every ball.
Example is he was talking about him and Taylor running between the wkts while a very good bouncer was bowled and was almost nicked behind. Not a word from Slats, just kept talking himself (he even keeps talking when a 4 is scored, or just offers 'shot'
I really enjoyed hearing the story about how Wasim Akram hit him in the nuts twice in a row in the nets.