• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Sim?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right, I'm thinking that Syedur Rahman's is getting towards the end of its lifespan as the Official CWXI simulator - as shown by the farce that was the NatWest Final.

I'm planning on writing an entirely new one from the ground up (which in due course will be incorporated into Beach Cricket 2006 - http://www.gingergaming.cjb.net) so right now I'm looking at people's ideas for what needs including in a cricket simulator.

At present, I'm thinking:

Players' Heights
Bowling Type
Bowling Speed
Bowling Accuracy
Bowling Movement/Spin
Bowling Lines
Bowling Lengths
Batting Foot Preference
Batting Side Preference
Batting Shot Power
Batting Timing
Pitch - Pace, Movement, Spin
Outfield
Weather
Field Placements (not to the nth degree as I do not have the ability/time)

The bowling and batting attributes will determine the abilities of players rather than their averages.

Obviously with sensible bowling changes and movable batting orders and properly paced run-scoring.

Please add to the list and I will attempt to knock this up

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
this game will take some time..will it not?

i was wondering why not cricet 2004 when it comes out or Total Cricket for OD simming?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't trust the results of an EA Sports cricket game to be accurate.

I like Neil's idea and I think that it would be the best long-term option. Total Cricket still has a couple of bugs to be worked out, and Lord and I decided that we won't switch to a new simulator until the end of the England tour, when we may do so.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Any more ideas?

It's likely to take a long time as I do need to fit it around the rest of my life and my degree :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Clearly you don't have your priorities straight. :)

It would be good if it had decent stat tracking capability and a reader-friendly scorecard output.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Stat tracking I can do (as you can see in BC02) - but it's anal to code - and I think the current cards are readable - a few tabs will be used in the next versions, however.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think the sooner we move away from Syedhur Rahman's sim the better...

Basically you can look at sims like total cricket, and international test cricket (commercial)... these are top notch for what we want...

As long as stats are relevent, the sim is easy to use and we can control basic things such as bowling options, maybe fielding and aggresion, that would be ideal...

Ill be looking into Cricket 2004 as a sim, i dont hold much hope, but it has a full editor, and ill see what simmed matches turn out like when the thing finally gets released...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
well yea as mxy said nothing has been decided yet..

and we will test other programs as the days go by to have something sorted out..

yes as you see Syedur Rehman is getting quite out of hand

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
At present, I'm thinking:

Players' Heights
Bowling Type
Bowling Speed
Bowling Accuracy
Bowling Movement/Spin
Bowling Lines
Bowling Lengths
Batting Foot Preference
Batting Side Preference
Batting Shot Power
Batting Timing
Pitch - Pace, Movement, Spin
Outfield
Weather
Field Placements (not to the nth degree as I do not have the ability/time)

The bowling and batting attributes will determine the abilities of players rather than their averages.

Obviously with sensible bowling changes and movable batting orders and properly paced run-scoring.

Please add to the list and I will attempt to knock this up
Abitily to swing the ball
Catching / ground fielding ability
speed between wickets

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: Re: New Sim?

age_master said:
Abitily to swing the ball
Catching / ground fielding ability
speed between wickets
1/ That's included under Bowling Movement/Spin
2/ Cheers. Also Keeping ability standing up/back
3/ Good thinking.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Re: Re: Re: New Sim?

Neil Pickup said:
1/ That's included under Bowling Movement/Spin
2/ Cheers. Also Keeping ability standing up/back
3/ Good thinking.
This is sounding a very detailed and comprehensive game! Are you sure you want it to be freeware?

David

International 12th Man
Experience? Form?

Will players be able to improve over time etc etc?

or is that just too much?

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Re: Re: Re: Re: New Sim?

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
This is sounding a very detailed and comprehensive game! Are you sure you want it to be freeware?
Yes, He is...:D

No, but seriously that is a good question. If you happen to actually finish the game what with your social life, What are your plans for it? other than CWXI and Devs