• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI in Australia Tour Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
broncoman said:
Jaques would be pretty happy with the captaincy in that side! id have though Katich would have the job...

Yeah that's a bit off IMO. I mean, Katich captains NSW and therefore Jaques...

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Cricket Australia Chairman's XI

PA Jaques (C)
SM Katich
MJ Cosgrove
MJ Clarke
A Symonds
L Ronchi (wk)
CL White
MC Henriques
DJ Cullen
MS Kasprowicz
SW Tait

12th Man: MG Johnson
Wow. Not a bad team at all. Good luck to the CW XI!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
broncoman said:
Jaques would be pretty happy with the captaincy in that side! id have though Katich would have the job...
That's because Katich wasn't in the side until the last minute. I added him in as a late change.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah, I can't see why Jaques is the (c), seeing as though Katich and White captain their states, and Clarke has been touted as the next Australian captain if he can get his batting together.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Yeah, I can't see why Jaques is the (c), seeing as though Katich and White captain their states, and Clarke has been touted as the next Australian captain if he can get his batting together.
True. But how often does Liam get something wrong? He knows it now :happy:

PY

International Coach
And who cares! Dear me, you guys are picky sometimes.

When's the CW side being named Liam? Good luck to all involved. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

dontcloseyoureyes said:
So here's the thing folks... Jaques won't REALLY be captaining the side. It's a strange phenomenon called a computer simulation, and well, I'll be captaining the side in reality. Why me? Because I'm more awesome than Jaques and Katich put together.

Wowz0r extremez0r.

Pedantry at its finest.:sleep:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web XI to face CA Chairman's XI

T Mamesh
H Moerk (wk)
BJ Goff (C)
CR Butler
DA Kearsley
PE Young
LA Camps
BC Cunningham
TC Halsey
DM Kennett
GM Thomas

12th Man: NS Hoy

Mr Mxyzptlk

CW XI steal late victory
CW XI vs CA Chairman's XI
at the Adelaide Oval

The Cricket Web XI found form in emphatic fashion, as a huge second innings century from Thamba Mamesh inspired a revival of epic proportions. Having been bowled out for 165 on day one, the Webheads charged back to limit their hosts to the same score from a position of 2/73. Thomas starred with 5 for 53, following in the form that saw him dominate the Dev League Season X.

The show was then passed on to Mamesh. Following a risky start, the young man struck the ball with ferocity and displayed impeccable placement on his way to 155 off 179 balls. He forged an opening stand of 93 with Mørk, and later 130 for the fifth wicket with David Kearsley.

By the time Pete Young was yorked for 38, the score read 7/417, and Brendan Goff declared the innings closed. Some 63 overs remained in the game, but a target of 418 left just two possible results.

Even so, when the Australians recovered from early uncertainty to be cruising at 2/86. A draw seemed inevitable. It was then that Halsey stepped in to bowl Cosgrove off the inside edge and the Webheads raced back into contention.

David Kennett took the cue and discovered his form with the wickets of Henriques and Symonds, then Greg Thomas and Tom Halsey wrapped the tail in the final stages.

Cricket Web XI 1st Innings 165 all out
CA Chairman's XI 1st Innings 165 all out
Cricket Web XI 2nd Innings 417 for 7 dec.
CA Chairman's XI 2nd Innings 166 all out
Cricket Web XI won by 251 runs.

Man of the Match: GM Thomas

Scorecard.
Commentary.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Congrats Thamba! Quiet time in the middle for me, didn't do much but still a solid opening stand. And eight wickets from Greg, too, well done.

bryce

International Regular
Well batted Thamba, it's good to see we know how to finish off quality sides. Can't really complain about my performance either, I still think i'm in really good form.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bryce - you were in the running for the squad earlier and you are now too. It can be frustrating when you don't get to play when in good form but such is cricket.

We are in discussions over the squad and the joint decision will be announced soon. Your efforts aren't going unnoticed. You will get your chance - if not now, then later. Don't worry regarding if you will not be in as good form then. It is not under our control.

Just keep performing whenever you get the opportunities, giving in your best.

bryce

International Regular
It's alright coach, i'm not overly fussed by it since I know the management are going to put the XI on the park that they think will have the highest chance of winning the test and if i'm not picked then I know the players preferred will be equally capable of doing the job.

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
CW XI steal late victory
CW XI vs CA Chairman's XI
at the Adelaide Oval

The Cricket Web XI found form in emphatic fashion, as a huge second innings century from Thamba Mamesh inspired a revival of epic proportions. Having been bowled out for 165 on day one, the Webheads charged back to limit their hosts to the same score from a position of 2/73. Thomas starred with 5 for 53, following in the form that saw him dominate the Dev League Season X.

The show was then passed on to Mamesh. Following a risky start, the young man struck the ball with ferocity and displayed impeccable placement on his way to 155 off 179 balls. He forged an opening stand of 93 with Mørk, and later 130 for the fifth wicket with David Kearsley.

By the time Pete Young was yorked for 38, the score read 7/417, and Brendan Goff declared the innings closed. Some 63 overs remained in the game, but a target of 418 left just two possible results.

Even so, when the Australians recovered from early uncertainty to be cruising at 2/86. A draw seemed inevitable. It was then that Halsey stepped in to bowl Cosgrove off the inside edge and the Webheads raced back into contention.

David Kennett took the cue and discovered his form with the wickets of Henriques and Symonds, then Greg Thomas and Tom Halsey wrapped the tail in the final stages.

Cricket Web XI 1st Innings 165 all out
CA Chairman's XI 1st Innings 165 all out
Cricket Web XI 2nd Innings 417 for 7 dec.
CA Chairman's XI 2nd Innings 166 all out
Cricket Web XI won by 251 runs.

Man of the Match: GM Thomas

Scorecard.
Commentary.
Liam, any chance of that scorecard being put at the top of the post before you ruin the result? :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That warm-up's just made selection several times more difficult, hasn't it? :)

The way I see it from here, the only places up for dispute are 5-7 (Butler, Kearsley, Camps), with Halsey, Cunningham and Young the outsiders. None of the incumbents did anything to suggest they ought to be disposed of, none of the outsiders screamed 'pick me now'... but equally no incumbent inked in their place, and no outsider ruled themselves out... I think it's status quo for Test two.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cloete said:
Liam, any chance of that scorecard being put at the top of the post before you ruin the result? :p
There's a huge headline at the top and the first line states what the result is anyway. If I put it at the top, how does that stop you from seeing the result? You're just as likely to not have the result spoiled as you would be if you scrolled down to the bottom and clicked it before reading anything.

Just don't read the match report. Simple as.

PY

International Coach
What a win! A domination really, happy to be involved in any way I can. Big kudos to Mamesh on a storming innings, I look forward to seeing it in the Tests as I'm sure we will.

On a personal note, pleased to top score in first innings but disappointed I couldn't go on further in either innings after two very solid starts.

As Neil says, I don't think anyone has done anything either way to break the status quo. I look forward to seeing what the selectors have to say though.

Majin

International Debutant
Thamba is a legend and Greggy made everyone in the colts proud. Keep up the form, boys. :)