• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** South Africa Tour of CW !!! **

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The Chairman's XI this time around is composed of two experienced yet not incumbent Test players with an opportunity to force their way back into the team. There are two batsmen very likely to debut in the first Test and are looking to make an impact. One batsman gets a run out in the middle order to solidify a likely Test spot. Two players are there simply for exposure. One bowler will get a taste for use later in the series. One bowler tries his utmost to relinquish waterboy duties. On bowler attempts to force his way into the team from just outside. One bowler tries to retain his spot.

Reading that and looking at the team I can't work out exactly who is which!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
12th Man: DA Kearsley (Black)

The 12th Man will be released to play for his club and a random Blue cricketer will do waterboy duties.
I trust the random Blue will be a first team regular though?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
I trust the random Blue will be a first team regular though?
The sense of that would be? I can almost feel the impending gripe as to the number of Blue players in the team, but all the players there are picked on merit or for some purpose pertaining to the upcoming Test series.

The waterboy will be a Blue player only because the game is to be played at the PDV Dome. Otherwise it would be any player who does not make his team's first XI.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
cbuts said:
very pleased to have made the team
Well done to Chris, Mike and Sangrah for making the team, and unlucky Kears for missing out - have to capitalise on it now and make a Dev League ton!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard said:
Not sure about Kwase's "alas" at Kyle being kept faith with!
I'd say it was a darn good decision, personally!
Supercooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well - I'm glad you think so but personally I think any fool could see that was the right decision.

masterblaster

International Captain
Thrilled to have made the side, and am looking forward to putting up a strong performance against the South African side.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard said:
Well - I'm glad you think so but personally I think any fool could see that was the right decision.
haha I was not talking about the decision at all, merely saying:

SUPERCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCHHHHHHH!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Because in effect it is a meaningless game, so to remove 3 first choices from each team is the fairest thing to do.
How is it a meaningless game when the team selection is so thoughtful? Perhaps it's meaningless to you, but I'm pretty sure those players are all thrilled at the opportunity to address the selectors.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because in effect it is a meaningless game, so to remove 3 first choices from each team is the fairest thing to do.
Perhaps if it's meaningless you'd prefer not to play and give someone else the opportunity to compete for a test spot?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Best of luck to fellow green members rose and timewell.. lets put up a strong individual performance so we can put some pressure on the fellow members and hopefully put the S.african team on the backfoot as a strong welcoming note into our nation..

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How is it a meaningless game when the team selection is so thoughtful? Perhaps it's meaningless to you, but I'm pretty sure those players are all thrilled at the opportunity to address the selectors.
well if it's so meaningful shouldn't you choose the blue first XI player with the best fielding skills or best skills to go with the squad in case of a late injury???

FaaipDeOiad said:
Perhaps if it's meaningless you'd prefer not to play and give someone else the oppurtunity for a test spot.
Don't try to victimise marc mate. it won't get u very far...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Don't try to victimise marc mate. it won't get u very far...
hes only putting up a fair opinion.. if marc doesnt think much of the game then he should step down and give someone else an opportunity.. The board has made the selections after careful thinking..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Slats4ever said:
well if it's so meaningful shouldn't you choose the blue first XI player with the best fielding skills or best skills to go with the squad in case of a late injury???
In case of late injury, David Kearsley goes into the team. The meaningful part is for individual players who want to establish something. No one is getting picked for Test cricket based purely on fielding.