• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will McGrath AND Pollock still be playing international cricket this time next year?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
He's the most inconsistent bowler there is!
Not when you compare him with any other Sri Lankan seamer in their entire history of test cricket. Sure he goes for a few on occasion (got took apart by the Aussies in one innings at least recently), but his stats stand up far, far better than any number who have been adopted as the favourites by others - yes, even me (Cork, White, Caddick to name but three - I would take Vaas over any of those any day of the week in either form of the game)

a massive zebra

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Not when you compare him with any other Sri Lankan seamer in their entire history of test cricket. Sure he goes for a few on occasion (got took apart by the Aussies in one innings at least recently), but his stats stand up far, far better than any number who have been adopted as the favourites by others - yes, even me (Cork, White, Caddick to name but three - I would take Vaas over any of those any day of the week in either form of the game)
I think Marc was refering to the fact that Vaas inevitably takes 18 wickets at 19 one series, then 3 at 100 in the next.

And he is more inconsistent than nearly any other Sri Lankan seamer in their entire history, because the rest are consistently bad.

Vaas may be a better bowler than any of those you mentioned, but he is not more consistent.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
masterblaster said:
Australia have Shaun Tait
Things just keep looking better and better for the Ashes...

Pollock will definitely be playing international cricket this time next year, it's not like he can lose any more pace in his bowling and he's not that old anyway.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
And how many of those names would worry the batsman the night before the game?
I never said they did, I just posted the next list of Australian seamers.

If you are talking about pace, Lee and Tait might.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
I never said they did, I just posted the next list of Australian seamers.

If you are talking about pace, Lee and Tait might.
Going off this recent performances, the only way those two will affect the batsmens' sleep is by making them so excited at the prospect of a lot of quick runs and a career high score...

a massive zebra

International Captain
He has been very consistent.

Pakistan in Bangladesh, 2001/02 [Series]
Pak 1 17 63 4 4/48 15.75 3.70 25.5 0 0
Pakistan v West Indies Test Series in U.A.E., 2001/02 [Series]
Pak 2 60 178 10 5/24 17.80 2.96 36.0 1 0
New Zealand in Pakistan, 2002 [Series]
Pak 1 8.2 11 6 6/11 1.83 1.32 8.3 1 0
Australia v Pakistan Test Series in U.A.E./Sri Lanka, 2002/03 [Series]
Aus 2 43 114 9 5/21 12.66 2.65 28.6 1 0
Pakistan in Zimbabwe, 2002/03 [Series]
Pak 2 61.2 218 10 4/75 21.80 3.55 36.8 0 0
Bangladesh in Pakistan, 2003 [Series]
Pak 2 77.5 195 13 6/50 15.00 2.50 35.9 1 1
South Africa in Pakistan, 2003/04 [Series]
Pak 1 28.3 98 6 4/36 16.33 3.43 28.5 0 0
Pakistan in New Zealand, 2003/04 [Series]
Pak 1 38.3 78 11 6/30 7.09 2.02 21.0 2 1

It seems inevitable that the fastest bowlers will be labelled as inconsistent, irrespective of results.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
He has been very consistent.

Pakistan in Bangladesh, 2001/02 [Series]
Pak 1 17 63 4 4/48 15.75 3.70 25.5 0 0
Pakistan v West Indies Test Series in U.A.E., 2001/02 [Series]
Pak 2 60 178 10 5/24 17.80 2.96 36.0 1 0
New Zealand in Pakistan, 2002 [Series]
Pak 1 8.2 11 6 6/11 1.83 1.32 8.3 1 0
Australia v Pakistan Test Series in U.A.E./Sri Lanka, 2002/03 [Series]
Aus 2 43 114 9 5/21 12.66 2.65 28.6 1 0
Pakistan in Zimbabwe, 2002/03 [Series]
Pak 2 61.2 218 10 4/75 21.80 3.55 36.8 0 0
Bangladesh in Pakistan, 2003 [Series]
Pak 2 77.5 195 13 6/50 15.00 2.50 35.9 1 1
South Africa in Pakistan, 2003/04 [Series]
Pak 1 28.3 98 6 4/36 16.33 3.43 28.5 0 0
Pakistan in New Zealand, 2003/04 [Series]
Pak 1 38.3 78 11 6/30 7.09 2.02 21.0 2 1

It seems inevitable that the fastest bowlers will be labelled as inconsistent, irrespective of results.
thats quite brilliant, you managed to edit all of his performances and come up with his 8 good performances from the last 3 years, 3 of which are against zimbabwe and b'desh.....shows alot about consistency

a massive zebra

International Captain
tooextracool said:
thats quite brilliant, you managed to edit all of his performances and come up with his 8 good performances from the last 3 years, 3 of which are against zimbabwe and b'desh.....shows alot about consistency
I did not edit anything. Its consecutive series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Assuming we have McGrath, Gillespie, and Kasprowicz as our front liners, Australia's next crop is of Shaun Tait, Brad Williams, Nathan Bracken, Damien Wright, MarK Cleary, Brett Lee, Matt Nicholson (could consider himself unlucky not to win his second Test cap against India, however, the selectors decided to recall Bracken and Lee) and that is the best I can thing of at the moment.
Whether any of that lot have the potential to be Test-class is debatable.
Certainly I don't think Williams or Lee do. Bracken, if he could swing the ball, would be a deadly bowler because he is usually very accurate, but he's been playing for a number of years and you'd really expect him to have learnt by now if he was going to at all. Same thing applies to South Africa's Charl Willoughby.
Nicholson is a bowler I've always liked in spells but he's yet to show the neccessary consistency, and he too has been playing for a number of years now. Wright can't be young exactly, and though he does seem like a decent bowler, I'm not sure he's always been very penetrative.
Cleary and Tait, meanwhile, might have all the potential in The World but right now they're two of the most overrated bowlers I've ever seen! Both come over here with the reputations of Australia's next big young quicks, having both had moderate Pura seasons, and both get the treatment.
If either were to be involved in next year's Ashes, I think Strauss and co. will be licking their lips.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
Even with McGrath and Pollock gone, there are a lot of young promising fast bowlers in the world, and who knows? With the experience and some super performances we might have a really good new generation of fast bowlers.

Pakistan have Umar Gul, India have Irfan Pathan, West Indies have Tino Best, Australia have Shaun Tait, England ofcourse have Steve Harmison and James Anderson, not to mention guys like Simon Jones, Sri Lanka have Lasith Malinga, so there is really no shortage of exciting upcoming fast bowling talent.

With the right amount of time and experience, im sure most of the bowlers mentioned above will blossom into world class bowlers. (Key word here is most)

:)
Personally I'd rate Maharoof way above Malinga - if he can bowl like he bowled in the Eng-SL Champions Trophy game with some consistency he'll be a phenominal bowler. History warns, though, not to automatically expect any young subcontinental seamer to repeat an early good performance for too long.
I'm not sure if Umar Gul will ever play again myself, seen too many nasty back-injuries result in the end of a career. He didn't look too bad from what I saw of him, but he did have rather an easy ride WRT playing mostly against Bangladesh. I know Shabbir's not quite as young, but he's certainly got much the higher potential IMO.
Everyone knows what I think of Tino Best - nasty piece of work if there ever was one. Don't think he's anywhere near as good a bowler as some seem to, either - might have made a few Englishmen look uncomfortable on some pretty poor wickets, but he's not done much besides.
Shaun Tait, meanwhile, the one thing I can say for certain - applies to Cleary, too - is that he's got one hell of a lot of work to do!
Malinga I'm yet to be convinced of. There's a reason no-one has ever really been successful with a round-arm action in the modern era - it's very, very hard to control where the ball's going, and a First-Class economy-rate over 4-an-over sort of suggests that.
The jury is, of course, out on Jones and Anderson.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
yet you somehow managed to miss the series against india.....and all the series before 01
He's not fibbing, though, TEC - 8 consecutive series. Just ignored the ones before and the one after. Hey, it's a trick many others use.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Going off this recent performances, the only way those two will affect the batsmens' sleep is by making them so excited at the prospect of a lot of quick runs and a career high score...
Out of interest have you seen Tait bowl or are you going off stats?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not to mention the wholly impressive First-Class average of all but 30.
TBF he's not been quite so bad as last season (really that wouldn't be possible) but why he's rated so highly has always so far been a mystery to me.
Ditto Cleary.

Craig

World Traveller
Maybe it is because he has pace, movemoment, plus talent and potential.

If you get to see him play in the near future, then you can make your mind up.