View Poll Results: In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tests, ODIs and 20/20

5 8.33%
  • Tests and ODIs

38 63.33%
  • Tests and 20/20

0 0%
  • ODIs and 20/20

0 0%
  • Tests only

14 23.33%
  • ODIs only

0 0%
  • 20/20 only

3 5.00%
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Clarke Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well one could actually argue that Tendulkar and Ponting aren't really from the same era - Tendulkar after all begun his plateau as a Test marvel a full 11 years earlier than Ponting did.

But then, there's still Dravid I suppose.
    They're all from the Cenozoic era, Richard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    FTR.
    z
    Gotta admire the moxy but if we were in person, that remark would have earned at least a hundred flicks behind the ear.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I really think Pup needs to do some deep thinking.

If a businessman who earned $1 million per year just from his employer, bailed out of an overseas business trip because his fiance was distressed (there was no emergency, there was no family illness) I think it would be unacceptable.

Likewise, Clarke is in a leadership position and for him to bail out in these circumstances I think was unacceptable. It's fine if he would rather be at home than on a cricket trip, but he should be upfront about that before the tour. Not bail out half way through.

I'm sure the other players in the team, away for such long periods as they are, have many stresses and strains placed on their relationship. For them, they have to battle through it and make the best of the difficult situation. It shouldn't be different for Clarke.

There was no emergency or family illness here.

gwo
    U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Gotta admire the moxy but if we were in person, that remark would have earned at least a hundred flicks behind the ear.
    FTR.
    z

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I really think Pup needs to do some deep thinking.

If a businessman who earned $1 million per year just from his employer, bailed out of an overseas business trip because his fiance was distressed (there was no emergency, there was no family illness) I think it would be unacceptable.

Likewise, Clarke is in a leadership position and for him to bail out in these circumstances I think was unacceptable. It's fine if he would rather be at home than on a cricket trip, but he should be upfront about that before the tour. Not bail out half way through.

I'm sure the other players in the team, away for such long periods as they are, have many stresses and strains placed on their relationship. For them, they have to battle through it and make the best of the difficult situation. It shouldn't be different for Clarke.

There was no emergency or family illness here.
    There's an emergency if your partner's having a meltdown mate, be it partially self-induced or otherwise.

Who knows what's going on there, but there's word around that they're on the skids.

I take your point, but if that self-same CEO said he needed time away to sort out a family issue, I'd think he'd get it.

I feel sorry for him tbh. He's had, what two partners in eight years - not like he's putting it about ala Warney, and being in the public eye with his various flings. I think her/ their biggest mistake was doing this magazine thing - difficult to cop the 200 large or whatever it is for your "story" then ask for privacy.

They're kids ffs (well she is anyway, and sure was when the pic was taken), it's easy to forget that. Hope they sort it out, one way or t'other asap. Need him in good form for the challenges ahead, and she looks good in the Aston Martin when she drives it around town.
    Last edited by Burgey; 09-03-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Not that it makes a huge difference (because I do agree with your point) but I'm sure i'd read that she's donating the entire mag fee to a children's charity.

Hopefully they can get it sorted out though as you say, need Clarkeh in form for upcoming Ashes (and because I can't imagine it's exactly fun having your name/private life dragged through the media for whatever reason)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    There's an emergency if your partner's having a meltdown mate, be it partially self-induced or otherwise.

Who knows what's going on there, but there's word around that they're on the skids.

I take your point, but if that self-same CEO said he needed time away to sort out a family issue, I'd think he'd get it.

I feel sorry for him tbh. He's had, what two partners in eight years - not like he's putting it about ala Warney, and being in the public eye with his various flings. I think her/ their biggest mistake was doing this magazine thing - difficult to cop the 200 large or whatever it is for your "story" then ask for privacy.

They're kids ffs (well she is anyway, and sure was when the pic was taken), it's easy to forget that. Hope they sort it out, one way or t'other asap. Need him in good form for the challenges ahead, and she looks good in the Aston Martin when she drives it around town.
    I guess I am just speculating obviously, as I'm not involved in their relationship, but is she really having a psychological meltdown? As was written in the paper today:

And how much support does she really need from her fiancee, when last week she was quite happy to have celebrity agent Max Markson by her side to guide her through her trauma and sell her to anyone who would taker her?

Thanks to Markson's skills, Bingle was quite happy to bare her soul to the same magazine that bared her boobs the week before - for a price of course.

But all of a sudden, with the interview done, the writ filed and amateur snapper Brendan Fevola suitably chastised by the world and the AFL, Bingle now needs her man by her side?

Nobody is saying cricket must come before family - everybody has a right to choose. But, when you're shouldering the responsibilities of being vice-captain, I just think the only time you should be allowed leave is when there is an emergency or family illness. Otherwise, maybe touring life is not for you, which is fine. Nobody is compelled to cricket for Australia, but once you decide to, then a certain level of committment is required.

And why couldn't she fly over there and join him?
    Last edited by howardj; 09-03-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeh, amazing how quickly public opinon has turned too. When it was her and Fev, she was a homewrecking slut. Now she's an unstable petal who so desperately needs her man by her side, he shoots through from NZ. Not buying either, tbh.

Doing the mag was a terrible idea. Not as if Fev was in the news making a series of claims that needed to be answered, he just sent around a nuddy pic of her to all his mates. Motifying for her but the classy response would have been to offer little comment in the press whilst quietly suing him.

I really like Clarke, I think he's a very good natured guy.

But guys like Slats had to tough it out when his marriage was disintegrating.

There was no leave pass for him - as there was no emergency as such and no family illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yeh, amazing how quickly public opinon has turned too. When it was her and Fev, she was a homewrecking slut. Now she's an unstable petal who so desperately needs her man by her side, he shoots through from NZ. Not buying either, tbh.

Doing the mag was a terrible idea. Not as if Fev was in the news making a series of claims that needed to be answered, he just sent around a nuddy pic of her to all his mates. Motifying for her but the classy response would have been to offer little comment in the press whilst quietly suing him.
    Agree that would have been the best response by far mate. She's been terribly advised through this. I do wonder whether Clarke had any input into that decision at all.

Still and all, I can understand his leaving the tour. If she's in a bad way, for whatever reason, well I can't say I blame him for going. And if they're on the skids, well the longer they leave it, the worse it will be for them both.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I really like Clarke, I think he's a very good natured guy.

But guys like Slats had to tough it out when his marriage was disintegrating.

There was no leave pass for him - as there was no emergency as such and no family illness.
    Yeah, and look how he ended up - pissed on stage with Barnes belting out Khe Sanh; piublic brain snap at Dravid in India; loss of form and dropped from the side as he lost it. Had a mental illness too tbf.

Steve Waugh says one of his biggest regrets was the way the Slats thing was handled. Maybe that partially explains the very different approach they're taking with Clarke here.

If Tony Abbott supported paid leave of absences for family issues, you'd be right behind it!
    Last edited by Burgey; 09-03-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah, and look how he ended up - pissed on stage with Barnes belting out Khe Sanh; piublic brain snap at Dravid in India; loss of form and dropped from the side as he lost it. Had a mental illness too tbf.

Steve Waugh says one of his biggest regrets was the way the Slats thing was handled. Maybe that partially explains the very different approach they're taking with Clarke here.

If Tony Abbott supported paid leave of absences for family issues, you'd be right behind it!
    haha

I just think one has to be mindful that it's a team sport and the rules you set for this sort of thing must be applied equally or it can cause resentment real quick. As I say, I'm sure all the guys at some stage have strains on their relationships as they are away for such long periods. I would hate to think that the daily stresses and stains (or anything other than an emergency) was enough to get any team member a leave pass from a tour. I guess, when I think about it, I'm more alarmed that you'd be allowed leave (especially if you're the VC) for this sort of thing, than I am alarmed at Clarke's behaviour.

I've been impressed with Clarke's captaincy of the t20 side (innovative and mature) but I dont think this latest episode will do his chances of succeeding Ponting as test captain in the near future any good at all

I know for a fact that certain senior people at CA regarded his relationship as an unwanted distraction as early as the summer before the last Ashes tour and this will have done nothing to alleviate that feeling

Having said that, it's interesting that even guys like Roebuck and Chappelli, whilst not supporting his actions, have both said that he is basically a nice young guy so, as usual, it's all the woman's fault

He should take Erina Lea Connelly back.

She seemed a reserved, modest young lass.

Here for you Pup, if you want to talk.
    Last edited by howardj; 09-03-2010 at 10:54 PM.

I can't help but wonder if he knew about this before Sunday's match. The shot he played on Sunday to get out was so odd... not the shot a man fully concentrating on the match would normally play.

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread Information