• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Standard Of Fast Bowling

Choora

State Regular
tooextracool said:
you have got to be kidding!

Not atall.

Look at the ICC ranking and u will find Harmison's name at the top of bowlers list.The lad has shown tremendous improvement and i think that he will be a leading pacer for some good years.And thats not all, English team also have Hoggard,Anderson and flintoff in their ranks which make me think that this team will soon pose a serious threat to Aussies.

Pathan is without doubt the best young upcomming pacer, while L Balaji is simply awesome.Can' tmention Z Khan, as he's hardly ever injury free!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Choora said:
Interestingly teams like India and Eng, that weren't exactly the "powerhouse" (as far as fast bowling was concerned) seems to be right at the top atm.Its players like Harmison,L Balaji,Pathan and Hoggard that are emerging as the new force in world cricket!
With the exception of Balaji and to an extent Hoggard.

Pathan is looking OK so far in ODI, but needs improvement on his Test figures (then again 12 months ago, we were saying that about Harmison (and Flintoff), and look at them now!)

masterblaster

International Captain
Are you forgetting Marc, this is good old Choora!

Balaji is his favourite player in the whole wide world. Choora was the one who was proclaiming that Balaji was the saviour of Indian Cricket.

A mighty proclamation, but something that hasn't turned out to be true.

Balaji has a lot of talent, but to me at the moment he looks like another Venkatesh Prasad.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
A lil off topic but anyways...

What ever happened to that kid that broke his leg in the first test last time Eng. were out here? Jones i think his name was....he looked pretty good in that test before he went and snapped himself, done anything lately?

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Erm, Balaji is far from awesome

8-0-77-0 wasn't it?
So ?? He got battered in that match, but there are hardly a bowlers who doesn't have an off days.

Balaji has a very good tour of Pak (something that is suppose to be a real test for Indians) and he has loads of talent.

Choora

State Regular
masterblaster said:
Are you forgetting Marc, this is good old Choora!

Balaji is his favourite player in the whole wide world. Choora was the one who was proclaiming that Balaji was the saviour of Indian Cricket.

A mighty proclamation, but something that hasn't turned out to be true.

Balaji has a lot of talent, but to me at the moment he looks like another Venkatesh Prasad.

Interestingly it was none other than good old you who had labelled Balaji as the most useless pacer ever but were later forced to eat your own words!!

L Balaji is much better than Prasad, and i firmly believe that he should share the new ball with pathan.I think they will do much better job than what Srinath and Prasad used to do, as Prasad in my opinion was a very mediocre bowler.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:

Oh yes, of course - adding Balaji to the team would make them the world's number 1 for sure!

masterblaster

International Captain
Well Choora, I agree I did have to bite the bullet and eat my words.

Well so did you mate,

I think even you know that Balaji will never, ever be a saviour when it comes to Indian Cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
Choora said:
Not atall.

Look at the ICC ranking and u will find Harmison's name at the top of bowlers list.The lad has shown tremendous improvement and i think that he will be a leading pacer for some good years.And thats not all, English team also have Hoggard,Anderson and flintoff in their ranks which make me think that this team will soon pose a serious threat to Aussies.

Pathan is without doubt the best young upcomming pacer, while L Balaji is simply awesome.Can' tmention Z Khan, as he's hardly ever injury free!
so you think that balaji,pathan and hoggard are actually as good as waqar,wasim,ambrose and donald then?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
so you think that balaji,pathan and hoggard are actually as good as waqar,wasim,ambrose and donald then?
Yeah, Hoggard and Anderson will have the Aussies shaking in their boots! haha Agreed that Flintoff and Harmison could be interesting prospects for them on the bowling front though (well, Flintoff with batting as well). I think I'd actually back Flintoff to keep it together under fire when bowling ahead of Harmison actually.

Choora

State Regular
tooextracool said:

I wasn't actually comparing them, though it will be interesting to see as to how far Pathan goes,he certainly has the potential to become a great fast bowler.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Choora said:
So ?? He got battered in that match, but there are hardly a bowlers who doesn't have an off days.

Balaji has a very good tour of Pak (something that is suppose to be a real test for Indians) and he has loads of talent.
balaji does not have loads of talent, hes limited in that area, but he utilizes all his limited abilities well, with all that he does he is just a bit close to average bowler, and sadly that is good enough for IND.

Choora

State Regular
Son Of Coco said:
Yeah, Hoggard and Anderson will have the Aussies shaking in their boots! haha Agreed that Flintoff and Harmison could be interesting prospects for them on the bowling front though (well, Flintoff with batting as well). I think I'd actually back Flintoff to keep it together under fire when bowling ahead of Harmison actually.

Hoggard is not all that bad as a back up bowler.Englandhave good frontline bowlers and that backups are all that bad.In contrast if Australian loses McGrath (due to injury/aging ) , then their attack will become very weak.

tooextracool

International Coach
Choora said:
I wasn't actually comparing them, though it will be interesting to see as to how far Pathan goes,he certainly has the potential to become a great fast bowler.
he might....but it will only happen if he goes on to increase that pace cause he looks absolutely harmless in tests when the conditions dont favour swing/seam bowling.
to go on to compare pathan, or even worse hoggard and balaji to waqar,wasim and the rest is plain stupid though.

tooextracool

International Coach
Choora said:
Hoggard is not all that bad as a back up bowler.Englandhave good frontline bowlers and that backups are all that bad.In contrast if Australian loses McGrath (due to injury/aging ) , then their attack will become very weak.
but hes a big let down from some of the quality of bowling we had early in the 90s.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Choora said:
Well, considering Hoggard would only be one of our backup bowlers don't think we're doing to badly in that department. If we lost McGrath but still had Gillespie, Warne, Kasper, etc I think we'd do ok.

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
but hes a big let down from some of the quality of bowling we had early in the 90s.
erm..bit harsh on Hoggard here...he is a good bowler.

Who exactly were the quality England bowlers in the early 90's...must be said I am struggling to think of any