• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Here's an idea for Englands ODI squad!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So which one isn't?

Ramprakash isn't in there ;)
Solanki is every bit as out-of-position as Ramprakash was in First-Class-cricket.
Sadly, that experiment wasn't abandoned quick enough (probably mostly because of a wholly impressive 164* against the mighty Shropshire), unlike the Ramprakash one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I've got an idea then.

Ban people below number 8 from batting because that just ruins the game.

If these bowlers are so good, then how come they don't get the "rubbish" batsmen out?
Because believe it or not, no-one can bowl well all the time.
For me, I don't like seeing someone slogged by some people who normally wouldn't be capable of doing so.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
For me, I don't like seeing someone slogged by some people who normally wouldn't be capable of doing so.
So you didnt even raise a slight smile when Harmison hit that 30 odd vs WI the other week

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, that was all crap bowlers - I certanly won't be smiling if he does it to Ntini and Nel this winter (though I can't see it's very likely).
Also, it was a wholly needless innings that didn't make any difference to the match-situation - and you can go on all you like about mental demoralisation, I don't think it made a difference and you can't prove it did.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Solanki is every bit as out-of-position as Ramprakash was in First-Class-cricket.
In spite of the fact he's been doing it for a fair while now and is getting results in that position in List A games?

Just because he didn't start there, doesn't mean he's out of position now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:

Yet you think Batsmen can concentrate for every ball?

If they were that good then they wouldn't be troubled by the tail.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
In spite of the fact he's been doing it for a fair while now and is getting results in that position in List A games?

Just because he didn't start there, doesn't mean he's out of position now.
One season of success doesn't make someone a player of position.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yet you think Batsmen can concentrate for every ball?

If they were that good then they wouldn't be troubled by the tail.
No, I don't think batsmen can concentrate for every ball.
Anyone who thought that would be totally insane.
But I don't think bowlers deserve any credit for their inability to do so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
One season of success doesn't make someone a player of position.

He's been doing it for several seasons now.

Just because this season he's been more successful doesn't change the fact that he's been doing it for a while, so is not out of position in doing it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:

Yet you don't think they succomb to pressure?

If these bowlers are as good as you make out, then they would dismiss tail enders quickly - especially since the fall of one wicket brings about it being more likely another will fall (now)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
He's been doing it for several seasons now.

Just because this season he's been more successful doesn't change the fact that he's been doing it for a while, so is not out of position in doing it.
He became a regular opener in 2003 and had no success there in that season.
He has only had success there this summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yet you don't think they succomb to pressure?
No, I don't think the bowlers deserve any credit if they do (in the First-Class game, if the pressure is caused by a slow rate). There is a difference. It is a difference you still appear not to have understood.
If these bowlers are as good as you make out, then they would dismiss tail enders quickly - especially since the fall of one wicket brings about it being more likely another will fall (now)
Yes, they would - more often than not. And they do.
But I dislike it intensely when it does not happen like this.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
No, it's not fun, not if good bowlers are involved.
There is absolutely nothing worse, for me, than seeing good bowlers slogged by tail-enders.
Fun seeing crap ones slogged, though - like Harmison being hammered all over The Oval by Harbhajan. :D
If a good bowler runs in and bowls a bad ball/s, what is the batsman (tailender or other wise) supposed to do? Block it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if a perfectly decent bowler runs in and bowls three well-directed length-balls at 79mph on middle that are swung to and over the square-leg boundary, and hasn't got anything left in the tank having sweated it out for 4 for 100 in searing heat on a pitch offering no seam, for that 88mph spearing Yorker, that's what gets at me.
If someone bowls three Half-Volleys, they're likely to get tanked and deserve to be.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
So basicly you don't want batsman to hit a bad ball because the bowlers made a mistake :laugh:

That's like not attempting to catch an edge because the batsman's made an edge :laugh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Anyone who thought that would be totally insane.
But I don't think bowlers deserve any credit for their inability to do so.
You've said before Richard that you think good batsmen wouldn't be troubled by pressure, but then these same batsmen can't concentrate for every ball. I think the secret is to concentrate on the delivery and then turn off. It's a bit similar to a golfer not being able to concentrate for 4 and a half hours, but being able to concentrate for the 20-30 seconds it takes to play each shot.

What exactly are they doing if they're not concentrating when the ball is being bowled?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, I don't think the bowlers deserve any credit if they do (in the First-Class game, if the pressure is caused by a slow rate). There is a difference. It is a difference you still appear not to have understood.

So where has the pressure come from?

The bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jamee999 said:
So basicly you don't want batsman to hit a bad ball because the bowlers made a mistake :laugh:

That's like not attempting to catch an edge because the batsman's made an edge :laugh:
No, I don't, I don't want to see good balls being slogged by "batsmen" who wouldn't normally be capable of doing so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So where has the pressure come from?

The bowlers.
No, the batsman's mistaken thought-process.
Worrying about the scoring-rate when he need not.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
No, I don't, I don't want to see good balls being slogged by "batsmen" who wouldn't normally be capable of doing so.
Neither do I Richard, neither do I (we've had this conversation before! haha) :D