• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Here's an idea for Englands ODI squad!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Difference between those two is, Harmison can bat....
No, difference is, Afridi's got a shedload of talent that he's totally wasted for the last 2 years; Harmison is massively overrated after a few slog-fests against a totally clueless attack recently.
I'd like to see him (or, rather, I wouldn't) do that to Nel and Ntini in 5 months' time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Neil Carter is a bit of a guru up the order for Warwickshire...
Carter's continued presence at the top of Warwicks' order in one-day-cricket is one of the more infuriating things for me.
It's reached the phase where Nick Knight, England's greatest ever one-day player and an opener and nothing else, has been forced to bat three of times this season.
Mark Wagh, also a natural opener in the one-day game (not so in the First-Class game IMO), hasn't batted there.
Carter is basically a number-eleven and whenever he makes 5 or less I laugh emphatically.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
fun to watch though :D
No, it's not fun, not if good bowlers are involved.
There is absolutely nothing worse, for me, than seeing good bowlers slogged by tail-enders.
Fun seeing crap ones slogged, though - like Harmison being hammered all over The Oval by Harbhajan. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Yeah, I bet Afridi can't play the reverse sweep like Harmy. Harmy's gonna break Afridi's 37-ball hundred record in the Ashes ODIs next year, you heard it here first! :p
So The NatWest Challenge has been renamed "The Ashes ODIs", now, then? :p

Waughney

International Debutant
No, it's not fun, not if good bowlers are involved.
There is absolutely nothing worse, for me, than seeing good bowlers slogged by tail-enders.
Fun seeing crap ones slogged, though - like Harmison being hammered all over The Oval by Harbhajan
What exactly is so bad about it?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Players who shouldn't really be scoring any runs either messing-up figures or compounding agony.
Nothing worse for me than seeing a good player made to look bad by someone who isn't really good enough to be doing so, and under normal circumstances wouldn't have a cat-in-hell's chance of doing so.

Waughney

International Debutant
Richard said:
Players who shouldn't really be scoring any runs either messing-up figures or compounding agony.
Nothing worse for me than seeing a good player made to look bad by someone who isn't really good enough to be doing so, and under normal circumstances wouldn't have a cat-in-hell's chance of doing so.
All part of the game Richard, all part of the game. The 'normal circumstances' (for tailenders) aren't when the ball is new and when the bowler is at his prime, but when the ball is old and bowlers are tired.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd take seeing a tail-ender against the new-ball every time. Then we'd see a much more proper reflection of their ability. :)
Still, even in normal circumstances (older ball) the good bowler will oust the useless slogger more often than not.
It's the anomalies that annoy me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except that, in Test-matches in 2004, them not winning has been very much the anomaly. :p :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Neil Carter is a bit of a guru up the order for Warwickshire...
He's only good because he either hits very quick runs or gets out, and if he gets out early we have England's best opener in ODI coming in at 3 :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I've got an idea then.

Ban people below number 8 from batting because that just ruins the game.

If these bowlers are so good, then how come they don't get the "rubbish" batsmen out?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
Yeah, I bet Afridi can't play the reverse sweep like Harmy. Harmy's gonna break Afridi's 37-ball hundred record in the Ashes ODIs next year, you heard it here first! :p
hahahahahahahaha, that's a good one. :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
You realise I was kidding, right? :) I'd be surprised if anyone scores a hundred quicker than 37 balls any time soon, let alone Harmison!!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
You realise I was kidding, right? :) I'd be surprised if anyone scores a hundred quicker than 37 balls any time soon, let alone Harmison!!
haha, well the smiley with tounge did give me a hint.