• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicketkeepers who bowl

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Yeah I enjoy a good gesture like that - last year Richie Benaud said he thought Graeme Smith should bring himself on when England were about to win the last test last year, as apparently it was traditional for a while (maybe just in Australia, I don't know) for the captain to be the one who conceded the winning runs, it was considered noble that the captain would both concede the match to the opposition and bear the "shame" (!) of conceding the winning runs himself.

Smith bowls some handy offies too.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
#

I'm 17, and I live in Sherborne but don't go to school there, I go to a boarding school in Sussex, which is where I play all my cricket. You don't happen to know a club I could join in Sherborne do you? I nearly joined one a couple of years back but I was always off at school, now I think they might have gone under after their playing fields got redeveloped or something.
Im 17 too, I'm not familiar with any clubs in Sherborne because our leagues don't cover the Yeovil area, but Im sure there must be some around, Just get looking on the internet is the best bet.. And get talking to people, clubs in this part of the country are dying for more personelle....

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
I see that Lees guy bowled when the target was very low - I would have liked to see, earlier in the summer when England needed 1 run to win the final test going out to bat, Brian Lara bowl the first over as a gesture in his last test in England - but instead he made Fidel Edwards warm up and bowl, plus England sent out their real openers - I wanted them to send out Flintoff and Giles so the crowd could thank them for the great summer they both had. That would have been a great moment.
Ag, England were obviously scared of losing.. You can never be too careful :)

Craig

World Traveller
If managed to lose while needing four runs to win, I would be calling in the firing squad.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
they needed one to win, not four! and trescothick actually bothered leaving the first two balls!!

and thanks for the advice Langeveldt, i'll bear that in mind.

Last edited:

PommieMacGill

State Regular
Looked like Little Kalu rolled his arm over in a recent Twenty20 match in Sri Lanka. He was fairly successful as well! Check it out here

Good to see him have a bowl, something different. I would have liked to have saw it happen in our, English Twenty20 competition. It's only 20 overs, someone else could have put the keeping gloves on for that amount of time and do a decent job. It would be good to see these keepers bowling actions!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
andrew hall, of south africa showed that he is a true all rounder

in a world cup match in 99 i believe, he opened the battig (or played a high batting position), then the keeper (might have been boucher) got injured whilst batting,and so hall donned the gloves for south africa

he then gave the gloves to someone else,and began bowling a few overs

in a world cup matc!
Given that Andrew Hall wasn't even in the squad for WC99 you'll realise your mistake.
marc71178 said:
Wasn't it in one of those indoor challenge games down under?

And I think he kept for the last over of the innings or something like that.
It was indeed in one of the Super Challenge matches - the last one.
Prior to the game (not during it) Boucher had got injured (sliced his fingers cutting dried meat). Hall was the designated-wicketkeeper.
In the penultimate over, Hall came on to bowl, having had great success in the previous game in forcing a tie when Australia seemed certain to win. Kirsten kept in that over.
In those days Hall was a proper one-day opening batsman; it is only in recent years that he has become a bowling-all-rounder.
So both of you have got something right and something wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
I see that Lees guy bowled when the target was very low - I would have liked to see, earlier in the summer when England needed 1 run to win the final test going out to bat, Brian Lara bowl the first over as a gesture in his last test in England - but instead he made Fidel Edwards warm up and bowl, plus England sent out their real openers - I wanted them to send out Flintoff and Giles so the crowd could thank them for the great summer they both had. That would have been a great moment.
You enjoyed, then, the Motera Test-match three winters ago when India allowed Iqbal Siddiqui to open (though only because Shiv Sundar was injured) and he hit Hoggard for 2, 4 to win the match (a target of 6)?
Personally I always think it's taking the mickey when you open with a tail-ender though I can quite understand an opening-batsman who doesn't want to go in when the target's even 20, let alone 1.
Personally I think it would have been funny if they'd opened with Hoggard and Anderson in that Oval Test most recent - the two most notorious blocking-tail-enders in the country. And one would have most likely hit the wininng run.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Yeah I enjoy a good gesture like that - last year Richie Benaud said he thought Graeme Smith should bring himself on when England were about to win the last test last year, as apparently it was traditional for a while (maybe just in Australia, I don't know) for the captain to be the one who conceded the winning runs, it was considered noble that the captain would both concede the match to the opposition and bear the "shame" (!) of conceding the winning runs himself.
Only occasion I can think of that's especially famous is Morris and Hassett bowling the final 2 overs (Hassett, the skipper, actually completed his over without conceding the runs) in 1953 when Compton and Edrich finally got themselves into a position to win England The Ashes after 20 years (and 25 if you exclude Bodyline, which would probably have gone the other way but for illicit tactics).
That would make a great CricInfo bbb:
Morris to Compton, FOUR, and that's it! Compton gleefully pulls a short-ball to the backward-square fence and races toward the pavilion as the crowd stream onto the ground. Police will have a hard job keeping them off the wicketism. England have regained The Ashes after 20 years.
Hassett's comment after the game "there's no doubt about this victory - thye earned it right from the very 1st ball to the... well... second-last over in any case" has to rank as one of the greatest in cricket history for mine.

ash chaulk

International Captain
broncoman said:
Prime Ministers XI match a few seasons ago, dan marsh turned his ankle on the ball while trying to field it off his own bowling, it was the middle of the over, so adam gilchrist brought himself on to bowl. Finished with 0/20 odd from 3.4 overs. I think it was Ganga who got a ton that day hit his 3rd ball for 6 straight over midwicket.

was that the one at lilac hill cos i was thurr..

gilchrist got belted with his left arm spin it was sooo funny tho he got belted

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Herschelle Gibbs bowls leg breaks, and according to Cricket 2004, they are quite decent.

It wouldnt shock me to see him bowl in tests or ODIs quite soon.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Personally I think it would have been funny if they'd opened with Hoggard and Anderson in that Oval Test most recent - the two most notorious blocking-tail-enders in the country. And one would have most likely hit the wininng run.

I would say Hoggard is exclusively a tail end blocker.

He can now tailor his style depending on who's at the other end!

His batting improvement should be an inspiration to all "rabbits"

Andre

International Regular
Prince EWS said:
Herschelle Gibbs bowls leg breaks, and according to Cricket 2004, they are quite decent.

It wouldnt shock me to see him bowl in tests or ODIs quite soon.
Gibbs bowls medium pacers, and is an almost certain non-bowler for the remainder of his career!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
PommieMacGill said:
Looked like Little Kalu rolled his arm over in a recent Twenty20 match in Sri Lanka. He was fairly successful as well! Check it out here

He bowled better than he batted! 2-24 from 2 overs and 6 from 4 balls - at least you could say he makes things happen, an economy rate of 12 and a strike rate of 150.... :D

Behlol

U19 Vice-Captain
I have bowled acouple of times while a im the keeper of my class`s team.i regularly take wickets when i bowl

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Good for you Behlol!

The school team I play for (3rd XI - I'm quite crap :shy: ), we have three guys who are all genuine all-rounders - they all bat in the top 7, bowl (two medium-fast swing bowlers who have taken the new ball before, and one leg-spinner), and keep wicket, depending on the situation. Trouble is, we're still crap. One victory in two and a half seasons.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I would say Hoggard is exclusively a tail end blocker.

He can now tailor his style depending on who's at the other end!
Eh?
You're saying that Hoggard is and isn't exclusively a blocker? :blink: :mellow:
Personally I'd say he - very rarely - manages to play innings where he scores a few runs in not many times. I can think of two instances post-improvement (summer 2002) where he has played innings containing any trace of aggression - Trent Bridge 2002 and The Oval 2004.
His batting improvement should be an inspiration to all "rabbits"
Hoggard is the classic example of being better than he'd ever given himself credit for.
He practised, and found he was far from a rabbit, and has turned himself into a very useful blocker.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Good for you Behlol!

The school team I play for (3rd XI - I'm quite crap :shy: ), we have three guys who are all genuine all-rounders - they all bat in the top 7, bowl (two medium-fast swing bowlers who have taken the new ball before, and one leg-spinner), and keep wicket, depending on the situation. Trouble is, we're still crap. One victory in two and a half seasons.
It's the same as most teams of your age.
When I was an under-15 most of the side batted and bowled.