• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richie Benauds All Time Team

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
IMO to compare Hammond to Richards and Tendulkar is an insult to Hammond.
I cannot conceive any reasons why Richards and Tendulkar, who average lower than him anyway, could be considered better given relative pitch conditions. He was also surely a better looking player.
Still, I can see why Richie would "like" Richards and Tendulkar more. I don't think he ever watched Hammond, if so only an occasional match.
Also, don't forget about his bowling and slip fielding.

Craig

World Traveller
superkingdave said:
Yeah as he opened precisley 5 times in 140 innings i dont think he can be considered an opener

I would have Pollock at 4, a left hander to mix things up
Graeme Pollack always seems to miss out on these selections.

I have him in my all-time XI and I figured that if nobody wanted him I will most certainly take him!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Also, don't forget about his bowling and slip fielding.
I wouldn't be surprised if the standard of slip fielding has a lot lower in his day. My guess is he was good for his time. Just a guess though...

Mr. P

Hey mate im not going to deny wasim was brilliant. Hell, he was a superstar. But to put him ahead of the likes of Lillee, Marshall, Hadlee and Larwood (And also others) is an insult to those bowlers...

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Mr. P said:
Hey mate im not going to deny wasim was brilliant. Hell, he was a superstar. But to put him ahead of the likes of Lillee, Marshall, Hadlee and Larwood (And also others) is an insult to those bowlers...
those are all undeniably great bowlers, and im sure richard benaud will put them ahead of wasim in the final 3 but i still believe wasim deserves to at the very least have his name in the fold.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. P said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the standard of slip fielding has a lot lower in his day. My guess is he was good for his time. Just a guess though...
By his own recollection he dropped 26 catches in his First-Class-career.
Hammond was, surely, the greatest slipper ever.
Though he couldn't have been much better than Bobby Simpson.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Here is mine

1. J Hobbs
2. RG Pollock
3. IVA Richards
4. D Bradman
5. G Sobers
6. B Richards
7. A Gilchrist
8. SK Warne
9. DK Lillee
10. M Marshall
11. M Holding

Reserves: W Hammond, A Roberts, GD McGrath, S Gavaskar, S Barnes, SM Pollock,

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Here is mine

1. J Hobbs
2. RG Pollock
3. IVA Richards
4. D Bradman
5. G Sobers
6. B Richards
7. A Gilchrist
8. SK Warne
9. DK Lillee
10. M Marshall
11. M Holding

Reserves: W Hammond, A Roberts, GD McGrath, S Gavaskar, S Barnes, SM Pollock,
wasn't Barry Richards an opener??

Dasa

Mr. P said:
I disagree. I would rate Wasim higher than Lillee and Hadlee but I can't say about Larwood since I've obviously never seen him bowl. Marshall I would rate higher than Wasim.
Don't forget, Wasim offers something extra not just with the ball, but with the bat as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
viktor said:
wasn't Barry Richards an opener??
Yes, so?
Rich's only Richards in there was IVA - Sir Vivian Richards.
Not Barry, though I know who I think was the better player.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Yes, so?
Rich's only Richards in there was IVA - Sir Vivian Richards.
Not Barry, though I know who I think was the better player.
True, however, my question was about Langeveldt's team where he has Graeme Pollock opening and Barry Richards at no. 6 !!!
From what I have read about the latter, he was pure class and quite possibly better than Viv. Though my team would include both.
My team:

B Richards ---supposed to be one of the best openers ever
S Gavaskar---great technique, good foil for the Richards b4 and after him
Bradman
V.Richards--- the original master blaster
Tendulkar---master blaster II
G.Sobers--- IMHO the best all-rounder ever
A.Gilchrist---a favourite
W.Akram---- another favourite
S.Warne--- one of the best spinners I've seen
D.Lillee--- again, one of the best ever
B.Bedi--- a brilliant spinner from whatever little i've seen of him.
12th man--Allan Donald (depending on the pitch swap with Bedi)

Mr. P

Dasa said:
I disagree. I would rate Wasim higher than Lillee and Hadlee but I can't say about Larwood since I've obviously never seen him bowl. Marshall I would rate higher than Wasim.
Don't forget, Wasim offers something extra not just with the ball, but with the bat as well.
Its a mutual disagreement then. Lets just keep it peaceful :mellow:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Based on how good some of the catches he's been filmed taking are.
He wasn't averse to a dive or a stretch, as, contrary to popular belief, weren't plenty of the better fielders of that day.