• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who Smoke ?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
How ridiculous is it that fags are being discussed on here?
For all intents and purposes they're all as bad as each other, and the sooner anyone who doesn't realise that realises it the better for them and society as a whole.

I think most smokers know this (well I do) and every day I smoke I feel guilty about it...but nicotine is a very powerful drug,and once it gets you, its hard to give it up.

I didnt start smoking until I was 26,and I was one of the ones when I was younger who said I would never ever start smoking...but working in a crappy office doesnt help (and in actual fact I started when I got burgled once)

So yes they are bad, but when you need one, they are soooo good in a really bad way.(I will give up soon)

Craig

World Traveller
Well all the best in trying to give up, if you really want to quit, don't worry you will.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
I think most smokers know this (well I do) and every day I smoke I feel guilty about it...but nicotine is a very powerful drug,and once it gets you, its hard to give it up.

I didnt start smoking until I was 26,and I was one of the ones when I was younger who said I would never ever start smoking...but working in a crappy office doesnt help (and in actual fact I started when I got burgled once)

So yes they are bad, but when you need one, they are soooo good in a really bad way.(I will give up soon)
A better attitude than that possessed by some smokers, but I've helped countless people pack it in and IMO you need to be more proactive than "I'll give-up soon".
It needs to be "I'll get it down by 1 a week" (or something like that). Above all, don't try and do it all at once, that's the worst idea. Nicorette patches have been invented for a reason.
And it's true what they say that it's every bit as much about breaking habits as addiction.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
A better attitude than that possessed by some smokers, but I've helped countless people pack it in and IMO you need to be more proactive than "I'll give-up soon".
It needs to be "I'll get it down by 1 a week" (or something like that). Above all, don't try and do it all at once, that's the worst idea. Nicorette patches have been invented for a reason.
And it's true what they say that it's every bit as much about breaking habits as addiction.
quite true...but i just bought a packet of baccy (I smoke roll-ups, thats was one of my ploys to stop, if it was a pain in the **** to make a ciggy, i would be arsed making one...didnt work) so i will have to at least use that.

And I am starting a DJ-ing job in a rough as hell pub in Leeds on Friday, so my nerves will need the nicotine big time.

Best advice: DONT START :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well, I don't intend to even try it.. Im absolutely paranoid about getting addicted, I was shocked to see this girl i have grown up with at school puffing away.. She looked damn relieved too, thats already got a hold on her then.. :(

However if people wan't to smoke, then I am not going to get on my high horse and say it's bad or anything, because everyone knows that, and they have got as much right to do it as people have to drink alcohol... I just get ****ed off when I have to sit in people's smoke, but smokers are on the whole pretty understanding people anyway...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Well, I don't intend to even try it.. Im absolutely paranoid about getting addicted, I was shocked to see this girl i have grown up with at school puffing away.. She looked damn relieved too, thats already got a hold on her then.. :(

However if people wan't to smoke, then I am not going to get on my high horse and say it's bad or anything, because everyone knows that, and they have got as much right to do it as people have to drink alcohol... I just get ****ed off when I have to sit in people's smoke, but smokers are on the whole pretty understanding people anyway...
Exactly. Everyone has their own vices, and if you don't smoke, it could be something else like - drink too much alcohol or speeding or drugs.

If you smoke, go for it, everyone now knows the dangers of smoking, so they do it at their own risk, I just ask them to be considerete(sp) of non-smokers.

Craig

World Traveller
Swervy said:
And I am starting a DJ-ing job in a rough as hell pub in Leeds on Friday, so my nerves will need the nicotine big time.
Just take a deep breath and be yourself really.

If you have worked in rough pubs before, then you can just draw from that experience (whether it is good or bad).

Swervy

International Captain
Craig said:
Just take a deep breath and be yourself really.

If you have worked in rough pubs before, then you can just draw from that experience (whether it is good or bad).
first days at work are always a nightmare...i'll just neck a few beers

Legglancer

State Regular
Pardon me for playing "Devil's Adovocate" here but I believe that anything taken to the extram can be harmful ..... speaking for my self a Ciggy once in a while can help me see things more clearly .... take things more calmly. Many times when I may have "jumped the gun" and perhaps done something stupid a mere "Ciggy" has made me think of the consequences and let my saner head prevail.

*** This message is has not been endorsed by the tobbacco corporation ***

Swervy

International Captain
Legglancer said:
Pardon me for playing "Devil's Adovocate" here but I believe that anything taken to the extram can be harmful ..... speaking for my self a Ciggy once in a while can help me see things more clearly .... take things more calmly. Many times when I may have "jumped the gun" and perhaps done something stupid a mere "Ciggy" has made me think of the consequences and let my saner head prevail.

yeah thats my excuse...happens 15 times a day :D

Legglancer

State Regular
Swervy said:
yeah thats my excuse...happens 15 times a day :D

Me ... its more like 10, depending if i am having drink or not, my excuse is it makes me stop and "smell the roses" or ponder my existance .... :D

Swervy

International Captain
Legglancer said:
Me ... its more like 10, depending if i am having drink or not, my excuse is it makes me stop and "smell the roses" or ponder my existance .... :D
you sure thats just tobacco you are smoking :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Legglancer said:

I'd love a ciggy to do that for me once in a while, yeah.. But wish i could keep it at the odd one and not let it become an addiction

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
The number of times this has happened to me is unbelievable.
I've lost count of the times I've been stunned to find-out so-and-so is on the stuff... cricketers and people I know.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
The number of times this has happened to me is unbelievable.
I've lost count of the times I've been stunned to find-out so-and-so is on the stuff... cricketers and people I know.
The thing that shocked me most was I thought we were nearly the last two people who hadnt been on the ciggys.. Now I think everyone I know at school has had one. And about half are regular smokers. Thats going some

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In my previous school but one (given that my most recent school is now not my present one) our year consisted of 72 pupils at the end of the 4 years (after about 20 drop-outs down the years). By my count there were 10 non-smokers in June 2002, when we left.
That is terrifying. And 4 of them were my only close friends in the entire place, two girls with some sense, the rest were all people who were going for careers as pro. outfield footballers.
So far, the only one to make it is Martin Rice, a goalkeeper.
And we all know that goalkeepers can get away with it... as far as football's concerned.

Aylott

Cricket Spectator
I know Rob Key smokes and he didn't look too knackered after his 221 and after he's ran a few quick singles.

Swervy

International Captain
Aylott said:
I know Rob Key smokes and he didn't look too knackered after his 221 and after he's ran a few quick singles.
sometimes I have been really surprised at how nimble between the wickets he has been