• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's Doosra

Is it illegal ?

• yes it is illegal

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • no its not illegal

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Cant say without proof

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • whose murali ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scallywag

Banned
When asked about the whole controversy surrounding the action with which Murali delivered the doosra, Ranatunga said, "I don't think Murali has changed his action over the years. He always used to bowl the occasional legbreak, which has now been christened doosra by the media. Of course, he bowls it more often these days. And in my book, you can't chuck a legbreak."

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/JUN/162594_SL_06JUN2004.html

Dude Murali has been very selective as to which country he can chuck the ball, Murali has thrown this ball from day one and when he was called for chucking he put this delivery away and only used it when friendly umpires umpired. I may not like Broad very much but I will give him credit for doing the right thing. Sri Lanka is a blot on international cricket and have destroyed their own credibility.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scallywag said:
When asked about the whole controversy surrounding the action with which Murali delivered the doosra, Ranatunga said, "I don't think Murali has changed his action over the years. He always used to bowl the occasional legbreak, which has now been christened doosra by the media. Of course, he bowls it more often these days. And in my book, you can't chuck a legbreak."

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/JUN/162594_SL_06JUN2004.html

Dude Murali has been very selective as to which country he can chuck the ball, Murali has thrown this ball from day one and when he was called for chucking he put this delivery away and only used it when friendly umpires umpired. I may not like Broad very much but I will give him credit for doing the right thing. Sri Lanka is a blot on international cricket and have destroyed their own credibility.
Think that's a bit strong.

I agree that the Doosra at the very least deserves investigation, but to write off a test nation cos of one player's iffy delivery isn't on.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Scallywag said:

errr...yeah right...ok...who are the FRIENDLY umpires ?

has the icc thought of disqualing murali's wickets that he took whist bowling his doosra? Surely this is fair because they have ruled that muralis doosra is illegal. This would then hand the record back to the greastest bowler in cricket at the momet\nt shane warne and set the wicket taking record straight

Swervy

International Captain
pontingrulz said:
has the icc thought of disqualing murali's wickets that he took whist bowling his doosra? Surely this is fair because they have ruled that muralis doosra is illegal. This would then hand the record back to the greastest bowler in cricket at the momet\nt shane warne and set the wicket taking record straight
cant do that..then would you alter the averages of those who were dismissed by the doosra and maybe then discounting the results of the games in which Murali bowled the doosra???????

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Sri Lanka is a blot on international cricket and have destroyed their own credibility.
Really ? Speak for yourself. To me Sri Lanka is a great cricketing nation with lot of credibility.

Scallywag

Banned
Sanz said:
Really ? Speak for yourself. To me Sri Lanka is a great cricketing nation with lot of credibility.
Err I was speaking for myself.

And I have no problem with you displaying your own blinkered view.

JBH001

International Regular
Who is blinkered?
Right... Mendis and Wettimunny and Dias and Ratnayake and Jayasuriya and Aravinda and Vaas etc. are not a credit to the game and their country?
LOL thats a laugh!
(oh thats right, you're Australian...)

Anyway, returning to the doosra.
The first time I saw it being used was in the second series against England in SL.
Thorpe who had countered Murali the first time around was completely flummoxed by it.

I dont believe it was being used before that - unless it was variations on the top spinner which has been deemed legal.
I really would take whatever Ranatunge says with a spoonful of salt, as the man is - frankly - an ass. Murali did use to bowl the leg break as a variation but that was a leg break which was not thrown as opposed to the doosra which is being thrown.

Also, the law is not retrospective.
It is a 'new' delivery - now that it has been barred, all further wickets from it should be no balled. But this does not apply to wickets already taken with it.

Scallywag

Banned
JBH001 said:
I dont believe it was being used before that - unless it was variations on the top spinner which has been deemed legal.
I really would take whatever Ranatunge says with a spoonful of salt, as the man is - frankly - an ass. Murali did use to bowl the leg break as a variation but that was a leg break which was not thrown as opposed to the doosra which is being thrown.
QUOTE]

He turns round to Kaluwitharana and asks him what I'm bowling. Kalu says offspin. Border hits the next one, but he's not confident. He asks Dean Jones, the non-striker, what I'm doing, and he says legbreaks."
Muttiah Muralitharan recalls Allan Border's reaction on facing him for the first time, in 1992

JBH001
By yhe end of this thread you will have take what everybody says with a pinch of salt and call them an ass, of course if they are Australian then that would explain things.

JBH001

International Regular
No thats only with you.
(though I did not call you an ass, and there are many other Aussies who take a more knowledgeable and less biased attitude towards Sri Lankas cricketing status)

Also, Murali was hard to pick because of the difficult nature of his action.
However in the early part of his career all he could bowl was the big spinning Off Spinner, the other variations like the Top Spinner would come in time as he developed as a bowler.
You only have to look at his early record to realise that he was not much of a threat at test level.
Besides, you cant chuck a leg break.

Scallywag

Banned
JBH001 said:
Who is blinkered?
Right... Mendis and Wettimunny and Dias and Ratnayake and Jayasuriya and Aravinda and Vaas etc. are not a credit to the game and their country?
LOL thats a laugh!
(oh thats right, you're Australian...)

Dont back away from your statement JBH001, you want bag me for being bias against SL but you dont want to admit your own.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
This is complete garbage.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
another aussie vs sl thread... cut down on the racism guys. personally i think murali chucks (at least the doosra) but that is my opinion. murali will be the worlds leading wicket taker for a looooooooooong while in the history of the game (unfortuantely... :p )

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nnanden said:
another aussie vs sl thread... cut down on the racism guys. personally i think murali chucks (at least the doosra) but that is my opinion. murali will be the worlds leading wicket taker for a looooooooooong while in the history of the game (unfortuantely... :p )
I reckon you talk a lot of sense Nnanden. Surely we can disagree about something without turning it into an excuse to diss another country's manners/sportsmanship/etiquette?

I agree that it looks like Murali chucks, but cleverer people than me who understand about biomechanics & stuff have ruled his standard offie legal. As currently defined by the degree of straightening permitted his wrong 'un is a chuck.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
cant say im the least bit sad about this at the current time.

"Muttiah Muralitharan will miss the rest of South Africa's tour of Sri Lanka, and could be a doubt for the ICC Champions Trophy in September as well after aggravating a shoulder injury that has left him needing urgent surgery. He will fly to Australia on Thursday night, and consult a surgeon on Saturday before deciding on a course of action.

"We spoke to Dr David Young last night and Murali will be leaving for Australia tonight to have surgery," said Ajit Jayasekara, the team manager. "We hope to have the results back by Saturday and if all goes well Murali can return on Sunday."

CJ Clarke, Sri Lanka's physio, gave a little more insight into the problem. "Murali has been having shoulder pains for months now," he said. "He looks to be suffering from two problems, basic wear and tear of the shoulder joint and a build-up of fluid around a nerve, from overuse, which is not usually a serious condition. However, until we know what the surgeon has done we cannot speculate on how long he will be out of action.

"If the fluid is drained and that relieves the pain then he could be back for the Champions Trophy, which is our aim at the moment. But if David Young decides to clean up the joint, or discovers something else that is wrong, then he could be out for longer."

Murali had been nursing a sore shoulder for many months, but prior to the first Test at Galle he complained that the pain was worsening. He played in the Test, and took five wickets, but aggravated the injury.

Sri Lanka had hoped that he would recover sufficiently to play in the second Test in Colombo, but an hour before the start of play they decided that the risks of playing him were too great. He was replaced by Rangana Herath, a left-arm spinner.

Murali went clear of Shane Warne at the top of the Test wicket-takers' list during the Galle Teat before this latest setback.

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd"

JBH001

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Dont back away from your statement JBH001, you want bag me for being bias against SL but you dont want to admit your own.
What bias?
I apologise to any other Aussie on these threads if what came across from my post was anti Aussie sentiment.
For the record, I am a New Zealander, living and travelling in OZ and - from the conversations I have gathered here - you'd have to go a fair way to find an Australian who would give Murali a fair hearing.
Thats not meant as Anti Australian, more a reflection of my experience here regarding this particular subject. Note Murali's action is a different topic to SL's credibility in cricket.
Therefore my comment "Oh, thats right, you're Australian..." as that was - to me - the only was I could believe anyone could be so biased as hold that SL had no credibility as a cricketing nation. The comment was not against Ausses but against you - as the only way I could believe and excuse your sheer ignorance.
Interestingly you've chosen not to reply to my subsequent post or even elaborate on your original "Sri Lanka have no credibility" post. Perhaps thats because you really have nothing to say? Or are you just trolling? Either way, it doesnt say much for you and your contribution cricketwise...

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
JBH001 said:
What bias?

Therefore my comment "Oh, thats right, you're Australian..." as that was - to me - the only was I could believe anyone could be so biased as hold that SL had no credibility as a cricketing nation. The comment was not against Ausses but against you - as the only way I could believe and excuse your sheer ignorance.
A New Zealander bludging in Australia I should have guessed.

I'm not suggesting all NZ's in Australia are bludgers but its just how I would describe you.

PS have you ever done a days work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.