Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Robert Key to replace Butcher?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I mean, take this for another hypothesis:
    Butcher and Key both make plenty of runs in the warm-up games. Butcher is rightly afforded his place in The First Test, but the wicket is dicey, Pollock, Ntini and Nel are almost unplayable and Butcher scores 3 and 6. Key then comes in for the Second Test
    If they view Butcher ahead of Key, then on match will not change that - something these selectors are to be applauded for.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

This summer has suggested otherwise, with him batting somewhere near his proper position.

Number 3 is closer to opening than any other spot.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    If they view Butcher ahead of Key, then on match will not change that - something these selectors are to be applauded for.
    You think not?
    I don't.
    Poor results can do funny things to the best of us.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Number 3 is closer to opening than any other spot.
    Err, yes, I know that.
    That's what I was saying...

Cricket Spectator
    Key is too inconsistent take him on tour but Butcher should come back in the team in that run of 40 odd test matches he averages 40 odd he's more consistent

Err, yes, I know that.
    That's what I was saying...
    My mistake, for some reason I read "somewhere" as "nowhere".

U19 Vice-Captain
    The last Ashes showed us Key can play every now and then - it didn't show us that he can play consistently.
    This summer has suggested otherwise, with him batting somewhere near his proper position.
    It is good that he has kept himself in the frame while not by any stretch pushing Butcher out.
    I hope it stays that way for the next while.
    In terms of consistency, what this summer has suggested is that he can consistently be out for under 20, although if he survives the chances he always gives early on (eg when Gayle dropped a sitter off him when he was on 17 at Lord's), he can go on and get some runs. That *is* what the first-chance average theory suggests, isn't it?

Cheers,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by badgerhair
    In terms of consistency, what this summer has suggested is that he can consistently be out for under 20, although if he survives the chances he always gives early on (eg when Gayle dropped a sitter off him when he was on 17 at Lord's), he can go on and get some runs. That *is* what the first-chance average theory suggests, isn't it?
    'Tis indeed.
    Key hasn't scored a single chancless half-century in any of his 6 dismissals (remember, 1 of the 7 was a run-out for which he can't really be blamed).
    However, the fact that he scored 204 without giving a chance remains an impressive achievement.
    And the challenges of greater fielding will hopefully await him, and we'll see for certain whether he really can score runs without let-offs.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information