• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

July

Richard Jenkins

Cricket Spectator
Well July has nearly finished, and the quagmire of the political situation ‘twixt both parties in Zimbawe continues ever onwards. Cricket as a sport that can change ideas and regimes has a historical importance, more so than perhaps , arguably, any other sport. What price change in any country as a result of cricket, and should governments channel energy and resources into cricket at the expense of perhaps more urgent issues?
Certainly sport needs to be supported and within most western countries there is a budget to allow for this. In India and Pakistan cricket is huge and again the governments plough money into cricket, and the Asia cup shows that peace can be found between nations even in extreme situations;
This is not to overstate cricket, it isn’t a universal healing salve, nor , come to that matter is sport; But sport at it’s best is a celibration of talents, brought together by the universal motivation of contest.
I find it amusing and amazing that the ICC doesn’t recognise the Asia cup as counting towards any ranking points, it seemingly belittles the tournament and why shouldn’t the teams get points for rankings from any international tournament?

In the English game, the C and G final will be between Worcestershire and Gloucestershire.
County Championship 1
p w d l Batt Bowl PTS
1 Warwickshire 9 4 0 0 38 23 137.0
2 Gloucestershire 9 3 0 2 31 21 110.0
3 Kent 8 4 0 1 17 19 104.0
4 Worcestershire 9 2 0 3 30 22 96.0
5 Lancashire 9 2 0 2 24 24 94.0
6 Surrey 9 1 0 3 32 21 86.5
7 Middlesex 8 1 0 2 28 19 81.0
8 Sussex 8 1 0 2 21 19 74.0
9 Northamptonshire 9 0 0 3 22 22 68.0

County Championship 2
P W D L batt Bowl PTS
1 Nottinghamshire 9 6 0 1 38 27 157.0
2 Glamorgan 9 4 0 0 30 27 131.5
3 Hampshire 8 5 0 1 19 23 120.0
4 Yorkshire 8 3 0 2 23 22 99.0
5 Leicestershire 8 2 0 2 22 20 84.5
6 Essex 9 0 0 3 25 25 74.0
7 Derbyshire 9 0 0 3 25 23 72.0
8 Somerset 9 0 0 4 27 25 72.0
9 Durham 9 1 0 5 18 24 67.0

In national league 1
P W L T N/R R/R Pts
1 Glamorgan 9 7 2 0 0 11.48 28.0
2 Northamptonshire 9 6 3 0 0 13.02 24.0
3 Lancashire 10 6 4 0 0 -3.88 24.0
4 Kent 9 4 3 0 2 0.1 20.0
5 Hampshire 10 4 4 0 2 -0.66 20.0
6 Warwickshire 9 4 5 0 0 6.43 16.0
7 Gloucestershire 9 3 5 1 0 -4.09 14.0
8 Essex 10 2 6 1 1 -9.38 12.0
9 Surrey 9 2 6 0 1 -14.21 10.0
In National league 2
P W L T N/R R/R Pts
1 Middlesex 12 9 3 0 0 6.86 36.0
2 Yorkshire 11 6 4 0 1 2.69 26.0
3 Nottinghamshire 10 5 3 0 2 11.15 24.0
4 Durham 11 5 4 0 2 5.81 24.0
5 Leicestershire 10 5 4 0 1 7.86 22.0
6 Worcestershire 9 5 3 0 1 7.04 22.0
7 Somerset 10 4 6 0 0 1.36 16.0
8 Derbyshire 11 4 7 0 0 -13.88 16.0
9 Sussex 10 3 6 0 1 -1.18 14.0
10 Scotland 12 1 9 0 2 -23.12 8.0

In 20/20,champions Surrey host Worcestershire, Essex visit North Division winners Leicestershire and last year's finalists Warwickshire face a trip to take on Glamorgan.
Hampshire, the best second-placed team, also have a home tie against big-hitting Lancashire.

On the international Stage, the Asia cup will carry on, England play West Indies, South Africa tour Sri Lanka, Holland hosts a trinations tournament between Australia, India and Pakistan and the ICC champions trophy starts at the beginning of september.
Asia cup so far

Pakistan beat Hong Kong by 173 runs

Pakistan beat Bangladesh by 76 runs

Sri Lanka beat United Arab Emirates by 116 runs
Bangladesh beat Hong Kong by 116 runs

India beat United Arab Emirates by 116 runs

Sri Lanka 282-4 (50 overs) beat India 269-8 (50 overs) by 13 runs

Jammy Jenko's predictions

Sri Lanka beat India in tha Asia cup, but I still feel that India could win.
South Africa will beat Sri lanka
Austalia will win the trinations touramant.
The ICCCT trophy will be won by New Zealand.

‘till next month,
Good cricketing.

Craig

World Traveller
Well I understand the season isn't over, but I'm shocked to see Surrey's position in CC1 and NL1.

For a side with a good batting line-up like Warwickshire I would have thought they would have been up near the top of the NL 1.

Wouldn't it be funny if (and it looks likely) that Surrey get relegated from NL 1?

Richard Jenkins

Cricket Spectator
Why the French quote from Lance Armstrong? (translates as 'three things about the french sir, they all smoke, they hate the english and they all have a cousin who has won the tour de france already')? He is second at the moment, saw the tour in Angers last week.

Surrey have had a 'shocker' of a season. I'm a Kent fan, so yes I'd be amused if Surrey did get relegated.
The leagues and championships have't finished yet, so anything could happen. it was just a 'photo' of what the standings are now.
You must like cricket a lot to have 6000 posts!!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Well I understand the season isn't over, but I'm shocked to see Surrey's position in CC1 and NL1.

For a side with a good batting line-up like Warwickshire I would have thought they would have been up near the top of the NL 1.

Wouldn't it be funny if (and it looks likely) that Surrey get relegated from NL 1?
.. as well as CC1, which could very easily happen.

To this Surrey supporter, the signs have been there for a year or so. The bowling's lacked penetration for a while - even Saqlain hasn't been that threatening over the last couple of seasons. This year, of course, Bicknell is suffering from anno domini and Tudor is permanently injured, so we're really struggling to bowl sides out. At for the batting, we've lost Ward & the occasional appearances from Stewart, Butcher & Thorpe are rarely available, Brown's past it, Hollioake's heart isn't really in it and Batty has too much on his plate.

But where we've really failed is in developing bowlers, which is hard to explain, given the resources available.

Richard Jenkins

Cricket Spectator
Wow. I had no idea surry had been milked quite so dry. I knew Alex Tudor had injury problems, but how much of it is really 'between the ears?' (If he is genuininly injured fair enough ,hope he gets better, but I take a 'john mcenroe' approach to injuries)
The death of Hollioake really affected his brother, and I think he'll leave cricket soon.(sad loss)
Surry don't belong in either of the lower divisions, and could still get themselves out of jail.
All to play for.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard Jenkins said:
I find it amusing and amazing that the ICC doesn’t recognise the Asia cup as counting towards any ranking points, it seemingly belittles the tournament and why shouldn’t the teams get points for rankings from any international tournament?

Probably because there's the likes of HK and UAE in there?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard Jenkins said:
The death of Hollioake really affected his brother, and I think he'll leave cricket soon.(sad loss)

I think he's retiring at the end of the season.

I did really affect him, but bizarrely it inspired him to play better than before.

Richard Jenkins

Cricket Spectator
Ok for HK and UAE . But how do they increase their points if the ICC won't let them ? Surely they should be allowed some credit?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard Jenkins said:
Ok for HK and UAE . But how do they increase their points if the ICC won't let them ?

They're not "full" ODI (a la Kenya) members yet are they?

Therefore they're not on the points table, so can't have points awarded (or not awarded as may be the case)

Craig

World Traveller
Richard Jenkins said:
Why the French quote from Lance Armstrong? (translates as 'three things about the french sir, they all smoke, they hate the english and they all have a cousin who has won the tour de france already')? He is second at the moment, saw the tour in Angers last week.
I actually got it from an Australian cycling magazine.

Most people will tell you I like cycling and Armstrong is one of my heros. I think he will be yellow either by the end of today's or tomorrow's stage.

Richard Jenkins said:
You must like cricket a lot to have 6000 posts!!
Sure do!

In my first month and a half I made only two posts!

Imagine that!

Richard Jenkins

Cricket Spectator
"In my first month and a half I made only two posts!

Imagine that!"

So you must have come storming back to get 6000 cposts. How long you been a memeber?
Armstrong wins or loses the tour in the alps. It depends who else can attack, and Ulrich eats to many pies!

What do you reckon for August's cricket then? Will England win V WI?
Who wins the Asia cup?
What about the saffers and Lankans?

Richard Jenkins

Cricket Spectator
Appearances

Yes perhaps this post is a little 'full of myself' mode!

i'm not seeking the shallow sustenence of fame, nor do I wish to worship at the church of celebrity

it was just like some thoughts. probably boring ones at that. Sorry for wasting so much space.

Langeveldt

Soutie
What I think about the Saffers and the Lankans?

I think SA will struggle, I can't really see much happening for us out there really.. TBH The showdown will come against England in the winter. I am looking forward to some quality cricket, big returns from Van Jaarsveld in the middle order and an improved England side giving them the same fight they gave them in 2003..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
What I think about the Saffers and the Lankans?

I think SA will struggle, I can't really see much happening for us out there really.. TBH The showdown will come against England in the winter. I am looking forward to some quality cricket, big returns from Van Jaarsveld in the middle order and an improved England side giving them the same fight they gave them in 2003..
It should be a cracking series. England should be better than in 2003, but so should some of your younger batsmen. What do you make of the return of Hayward?