• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Odi Captain

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. Ponting said:
marc your comments are dumb and made through jealousy or something. stop being so bias. going by your logic, it is not possible to be rated a good captain if you have a good side.

I said it's impossible to compare them because a bad captain with world beating resources will still win more often than not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
If what you say Marc is true then the current Australian side is the most talented ODI team ever to play the game. And you would also have to agree that the current Aus ODI side is the best ODI team ever to play.
It quite possibly is - that number of consecutive wins at a time when most other sides can beat each other on any given day must say something.

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
I said it's impossible to compare them because a bad captain with world beating resources will still win more often than not.
Cant agree with that, a poorly led team will not last 70 games winning 56 of them. I think Ponting has proven he is a very good captain, especially as you say when most captains are very inconsistant at the moment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, I said most teams can beat each other on any day - that says nothgin about captains.

It also says a lot about the gulf in class between Australia and the rest.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hansie used to be so impressive, although he did have the best fielding side in the world at his disposal which made him look good :)

Nowadays Fleming immediately comes to mind.. He seems to get 110% from his NZ players...

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
New Zealand have a better one day record than Australia in the current calender year so what does that say about the two captians. Also you just hav to look back at the v.b series where New Zealand beat Aus 3 out of 4 times through tactical brilliance mostly. Australia were clearly the stronger team on paper yet NZ out smarted them with excellent feild placings etc. It will be interesting to compare the two captains when they go head to head in the knockout tournament coming up.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
AAAAAH!!!! Marc through all I have said, hasn't the obvious ever occured to you?!?

I am not talking about the winning, I am talking about the fielding tactics! You CAN compare them! Just watch the game, concentrate on the captain! :@

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Richard Rash said:
New Zealand have a better one day record than Australia in the current calender year so what does that say about the two captians. Also you just hav to look back at the v.b series where New Zealand beat Aus 3 out of 4 times through tactical brilliance mostly. Australia were clearly the stronger team on paper yet NZ out smarted them with excellent feild placings etc. It will be interesting to compare the two captains when they go head to head in the knockout tournament coming up.
That VB series Steve Waugh was in charge. We are talking about Ponting.

Scallywag

Banned
The tactical brilliance (Bond) broke down from over use and has missed a lot of cricket.

Ponting has captained Aus v NZ 5 times for 5 wins. And like I said Ponting had his five best bowlers out for at least three of those games.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's not the point though, as Australia have the reserves to get over the loss of McGrath etc.

No other side has that depth that the replacement is good (except the Indians as they have a lot of pace bowlers all broadly as good as one another)

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard Rash said:
Also you just hav to look back at the v.b series where New Zealand beat Aus 3 out of 4 times through tactical brilliance mostly. Australia were clearly the stronger team on paper yet NZ out smarted them with excellent feild placings etc.
but that was with steve waugh as captain....a person who i rate as "not very good" as captain.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr. Ponting said:
AAAAAH!!!! Marc through all I have said, hasn't the obvious ever occured to you?!?

I am not talking about the winning, I am talking about the fielding tactics! You CAN compare them! Just watch the game, concentrate on the captain! :@
i dont think you can make a claim that ponting is the better captain just yet.....no doubt he is very good but there isnt anything that says fleming is worse or better for that matter.

tooextracool

International Coach
many people say that ricky ponting is benefitted by having star players in his side, that even a chimp could lead that side and win. dont think so.....if anyone benefitted from the players rather than good captaincy it was steve waugh. dont get me wrong here....he was an inspirational player but as a tactician he was terrible. you only have to look at the test series between ind-australia in australia or even the vb series in 01 to realise that he wasnt exactly anything great.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Ponting's captaincy against India

I don't think that Ponting's captaincy against India in the tests was terrible. But it was a good example of how he captains with limited bowling resources though. He didn't know what to do when Laxman and Dravid got going, and merely hoped for a breakthrough. Not an easy situation though.

This is exactly the point many are making about how relatively easy it would be to captain the full (or near to full) strength Australian side for a player of his maturity and cricketing knowledge.

I'm sure over the next few years as Warne, McGrath, Gilcrist, Hayden, and Langer retire there will be ample opportunities to prove himself.