• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cairns calls curtains.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
On test cricket. This is the last time we'll see him in test whites.

In my opinion, he's done more than plenty.

Oh, and as far as I know, he WAS the second longest current playing player, 9 days short of Sachin. Now that is a feat.

Cairns statistically was good, no, VERY good, but not great. But for his excitement and energy and sheer HITTING makes him very entertaining.

Bravo for test cricket Cairns, bravo.

(reworded a little)

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
sad to see a great player like him retire. i never was a fan, but i can't deny how much he has done for NZ

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BlackCap_Fan said:
Cairns statistically was good, no, VERY good, but not great. But for his excitement and energy and sheer HITTING makes him amazing.

His hitting makes him amazing?

Getting out playing stupidly aggressive shots isn't amazing!

Loony BoB

International Captain
I believe that would be referring to the hits that connected - and yes, they were amazing. The only player I've seen hit sixes that rival Cairns' would be Smith over in the Windies.

Isolator

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:

I look at your posts. Then I look at your avatar. Then it makes sense. :p

Piper

International Captain
I will miss Cairns! He was a really good play and he was a nice guy too, i think the world of cricket will miss him
:mellow:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
perhaps you'd like to say the same thing about flintoff and butcher?
Butcher is not a big hitter.

And I have on several times said it about Flintoff :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yep.. Will miss Cairns.. Nice to see such a top bloke combining entertaining cricket, and results to boot... NZ will miss his services.

PY

International Coach
Good luck to the bloke....

Was extremely disappointed with Channel 4 that they decided to show a slo-mo replay of Giles and Thorpe hugging rather than showing an entertaining cricketer make his exit from the Test arena. In fact, I was screaming blue murder...(yes I did watch the football :ranting: )

Langeveldt

Soutie
PY said:
Good luck to the bloke....

Was extremely disappointed with Channel 4 that they decided to show a slo-mo replay of Giles and Thorpe hugging rather than showing an entertaining cricketer make his exit from the Test arena. In fact, I was screaming blue murder...(yes I did watch the football :ranting: )
What do you expect from Channel Four??

Coming up next.. Harmison putting on his mascara (slo-mo)

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Cairns probably had too many injuries to gain momentum with his test career. On his day he was a top quality all rounder. Unfortunately he could be a bit hot and cold so he will be remembered as a very good player.

Still I always enjoyed watching him play.

Craig

World Traveller
It is sad we will not see him take Shane Warne on in their battles when they play against each other.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I particularly enjoyed a six he hit in one of the tests between NZ and Australia here in NZ back in 2001, he turned around so he was facing square leg and calmly played a straight drive, hitting the ball from Warne out of the park.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:

I reworded it.I said it the wrong way.

And you act as if every time he played an aggresive shot he got out. Which is wrong. I doubt there will be a hitter like Cairns for quite a while.

Deja moo

International Captain
I judge opposition players based on how much they have frustrated me by playing well against India.

Cairns holds his own very well on that count.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Andy Flintoff, for starters. Then we lok at Klusener...plenty as good as Cairns. Not taking it away from him though, did alot for NZ cricket.