• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fast Bowlers

a massive zebra

International Captain
Who do you think are the best fast bowlers ever for each Test playing nation? Here are mine:

Australia: Glenn McGrath
Bangladesh: Mushrafe Mortaza
England: Fred Trueman
India: Kapil Dev
New Zealand: Richard Hadlee
Pakistan: Wasim Akram
South Africa: Alan Donald
Sri Lanka: Chaminda Vaas
West Indies: Malcolm Marshall
Zimbabwe: Heath Streak

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Who do you think are the best fast bowlers ever for each Test playing nation? Here are mine:

Australia: Glenn McGrath
Bangladesh: Mushrafe Mortaza
England: Fred Trueman
India: Kapil Dev
New Zealand: Richard Hadlee
Pakistan: Wasim Akram
South Africa: Alan Donald
Sri Lanka: Chaminda Vaas
West Indies: Malcolm Marshall
Zimbabwe: Heath Streak
Wouldn't have thought there was much debate about that lot, except the first, where plenty of people would nominate Lillee or Lindwall rather than McGrath.

Cheers,

Mike

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
chris.hinton said:
McGrath is the greatest Fast Bowler Ever
With a career bowling average of 14.00 and a strike rate of 25.5, you may well be right, but I wouldn't really call him "fast". Dibby-dobby medium pacer, I'd have said.

Or were you talking about Glenn, Australia's fourth-best fast bowler?

Cheers,

Mike

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
badgerhair said:
With a career bowling average of 14.00 and a strike rate of 25.5, you may well be right, but I wouldn't really call him "fast". Dibby-dobby medium pacer, I'd have said.

Or were you talking about Glenn, Australia's fourth-best fast bowler?

Cheers,

Mike
Ha Ha, i bet there's not that many people who would be too unhappy with a batting average of 40 and a bowling average of 14!- Worlds best Alrounder? :)

a massive zebra

International Captain
badgerhair said:
Wouldn't have thought there was much debate about that lot, except the first, where plenty of people would nominate Lillee or Lindwall rather than McGrath.
Well Rod Marsh said that despite his obvious class, Lillee had a weakness against left-handers and was not that great at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact McGrath was the more consistent and reliable bowler.

I don't know enough about Lindwall for a comparison but he supposedly had a great action and took a higher percentage of his wickets as bowled than anyone else with over 200 Test wickets. However, he really should have managed to take 10 wickets in a match if he was as good as McGrath or Lillee, and his strike rate is not in the elite bracket.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Australia - Glenn McGrath
Bangladesh - Hasibul Hossain
England - Fred Truman
India - Javagal Srinath
New Zealand - Richard Hadlee
Pakistan - Wasim Akram
Sri Lanka - Chaminda Vaas
South Africa - Allan Donald :)
West Indies - Michael Holding
Zimbabwe - Heath Streak

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You don't actually know anything about Bangladeshi cricket, do you, Rich?

Next: Most Likely to use bat when facing Pedro Collins: Hannan Sarkar?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
All these best of all time threads makes me wonder how many people would've entered AlFtA had it been started now...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
India - Javagal Srinath

West Indies - Michael Holding
Interesting, considering that Kapil Dev has a better averages, economy and SR than Srinath, as well as a higher rate of 5w hauls.

Also interesting that Malcolm Marshall has a better SR, economy, average, wickets per match, rate of 5w hauls, rate of 10w hauls than Michael Holding.

The of course there's the discarded Bangladeshi - Hasibul Hossain... you are a strange one Rich.

masterblaster

International Captain
Without a doubt, Kapil Dev is the greatest fast bowler in Indian Cricket History.

Srinath comes in at a honorable second place.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
England - Fred trueman

Australia - Dennis Lillee, Glenn Mcgraa and Alan Davidson

India - Kapil Dev

Pakistan - Waseem Akram, Imran Khan, Sarfaraz Nawaz, and Waqar Younis

South Africa - Alan Donald, Shaun Pollock, and Neil Adcock

New Zealand - Hadlee, Bond, and Bruce Taylor

Waughney

International Debutant
Australia - Glenn McGrath
Bangladesh - Tapash Baisya