• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You Chose This Team !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
On DON's All Time XI thread, I had posted a "Selection made easy" message giving a list of openers, middle order batsmen pacers spinners etc. Six people including mysef chose teams of 16 player touring test party.

The results are pretty consistent except , as I suspected, in the pace bowling department where an embarassment of riches makes the selection all the more difficult.

There was also a tie for the 4th middle order batting spot.

Here are the results. A couple of people gave more choices than allowed, I have, in these cases, divided the points between the players so you have some fractions 8-)

Those who voted were :- Jamee999, Roseboy64, Craig, Waughney, A Massive Zebra and SJS. So the maximum votes a player could get is six. Here are the players as divided by skill. Those chosen in bold and the others in brackets.

Openers - three needed.
Hobbs(6/6), Hutton(4), Gavaskar(4)
Others : Sutcliffe 3, Hayden 1, Trumper and Barry Richards 0 !!

One Down
Bradman (6)

Middle Order - 4 needed
Graeme Pollock(6), Tendulkar(5), George Headley(5),
There is a tie for the 4th spot between Viv Richards and Lara (3 each)
Others Hammond 2, Weekes 0

All Rounders - 1 needed
Sobers(6)

Keepers 2 needed
Knott(5), Healy(4)
Others Gilchrist and Bob Taylor 1 each. Evans, Oldfield and Marsh all 0.

Spinners - 2 needed
Murali (6), Warne (4)
Others Orielly 2, Grimmett, verity and Laker all 0

Pacers
Hadlee (3.35), Walsh(2.75), Lillee (2.6)
Others : Imran 2.35, Waim 1.75, Barnes 1.6, Ambrose, Holding and Mcgrath 1 each, Marshall 0.6, Larwood, Trueman, Lindwall and Garner all 0 !!

So we have. Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, Bradman, Headley, Tendulkar, Pollock, Richards(or Lara), Sobers, Knott, Healy, Hadlee, Lillee, Walsh, Murali and Warne. WOW what a side.

Just to settle it before we move to the next step. Voting between Lara and Richards please !!

Those who have already voted but chose only one of the two in their earlier selection not to vote again :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Final ODI Team

Surprisingly this had more consensus. No player got less than 3 out of the five maximum votes possible. Here is the side

Batsmen : Tendulkar 5/5, Viv Richards 5, Lara 5, Ponting 4, G Pollock 3, Bradman 3 Haynes, Hayden, B Richards, Greenidze and Zaheer, 1 each

Keeper : Gilchrist 5 Walcott ad Ames 0 each

Batting All Rounders : Sobers 4, Kallis 4 Botham 1, Dean Jones ? 1

Bowling All rounders : Kapil 4, Hadlee 3, Imran 3 Marshall 2, Bevan 1

Bowlers : Akram 5, Murali 4 Warne 2, Lille, Ambrose, Lindwall, Garner 1 each, Holding and Barnes 0

Great side !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Now from these can we choose the first choice twelve and the skipper :

Tests (from) : Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Headley, Pollock, Sobers, Knott, Hadlee, Lillee, Warne, Murali, Walsh Lara, Tendulkar, Healy, Gavaskar,

ODI (from) : Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Bradman, Richards, Lara Pollock, Sobers, Kapil, Imran, Hadlee, Akram, Murali Ponting, Kallis

Those in bold are my choice. Bradman to lead both sides.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry, but how can people who never played ODI's be in an all time ODI side?

No matter how good a Test player they were.

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
The Final ODI Team

Surprisingly this had more consensus. No player got less than 3 out of the five maximum votes possible. Here is the side

Batsmen : Tendulkar 5/5, Viv Richards 5, Lara 5, Ponting 4, G Pollock 3, Bradman 3 Haynes, Hayden, B Richards, Greenidze and Zaheer, 1 each

Keeper : Gilchrist 5 Walcott ad Ames 0 each

Batting All Rounders : Sobers 4, Kallis 4 Botham 1, Dean Jones ? 1

Bowling All rounders : Kapil 4, Hadlee 3, Imran 3 Marshall 2, Bevan 1

Bowlers : Akram 5, Murali 4 Warne 2, Lille, Ambrose, Lindwall, Garner 1 each, Holding and Barnes 0

Great side !
not one vote for bevan?!!ridiculous, if i were captain id take my side off the field :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
tooextracool said:
not one vote for bevan?!!ridiculous, if i were captain id take my side off the field :p
Yeah I get amazed when I hear people calling him "selfish" and all the bad words under the sun...

He wasnt exactly substandard was he lol....