• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Remembering the flashes in the pan

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Frank Hayes scored a century in his first Test in 1973 and barely scored another run. Half his innings after that were in single figures, including several ducks.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Frank Hayes scored a century in his first Test in 1973 and barely scored another run. Half his innings after that were in single figures, including several ducks.
Good call. Played all his tests against WI didn't he? Poor sod even got recalled in 1976 iirc.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think this thread should be about players who had one good match than nothing else.
I'll give you Jack Iverson, the original "mystery spinner", then, 21 wickets at ~15 in 5 tests of the 50/51 Ashes, Keith Miller flays him in a Vic/NSW Shield game, declares himself unavailable for Victoria shortly afterwards and never played tests again.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Also that guy who debuted in same test as Lillee. Or was it a game or two ago?
Nobody else made their debut in Lillee's first test in Adelaide 1971. Ken Eastwood and Tony Dell made their debut in the following test, but neither played enough international cricket to have a peak as such

I can only assume you are talking about Bob Massie

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
people forget that bob massie took a 7fer in the world Xi series prior to the 1972 ashes - dismissed Gavaskar, Abbas, Pollock & Sobers

tony p

First Class Debutant
back in bradman's day a guy called jack badcock.

played 7 test all against england in 1936/37 & 1938.

scored
8 & 0
118 S.C.G.
9 & 5
0 & 0 LORDS
4 & 5 no
0 & 9 160 runs in 12 innings.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
back in bradman's day a guy called jack badcock.

played 7 test all against england in 1936/37 & 1938.

scored
8 & 0
118 S.C.G.
9 & 5
0 & 0 LORDS
4 & 5 no
0 & 9 160 runs in 12 innings.
Pretty much a great candidate for bada** names thread as well.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
It’s been suggested that Massie used lip salve to make the ball swing at Lords, was warned off doing it again, and never achieved much after that. No idea if it’s true.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
people forget that bob massie took a 7fer in the world Xi series prior to the 1972 ashes - dismissed Gavaskar, Abbas, Pollock & Sobers
I didn't know that. Good job he was injured for the first test of the 1972 Ashes, which England won at Old Trafford. David Colley didn't pose quite the same threat.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It’s been suggested that Massie used lip salve to make the ball swing at Lords, was warned off doing it again, and never achieved much after that. No idea if it’s true.
I'd be surprised if it was. I did read that John Edrich thought that he would be burnt out by the workload he was being given at Lord's.

EDIT
He did bowl a heck of a lot of overs at Lord's, and also in the following test at Trent Bridge, where he also enjoyed success. More overs than his opening partner Lillee, although Dennis also bowled a lot. Maybe Lillee was fitter than Massie, or maybe the workload exacerbated the injury that kept Massie out of the Old Trafford test.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve never seen anyone seriously suggest that Massie cheated. When he bowled England out in the second innings the conditions were freakishly good for swing bowling. Ray Illingworth wasn’t happy with the light as the cloud cover was very low with misty rain around.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's only a one-day match, but Collis King in the 1979 WC final.

5 or 6 years earlier, who was the WI batsman who made a huge hundred, either a double or triple, early in his test career and never really lived up to those standards? I read something about him having a grass allergy, which is unfortunate for a professional cricketer.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's only a one-day match, but Collis King in the 1979 WC final.

5 or 6 years earlier, who was the WI batsman who made a huge hundred, either a double or triple, early in his test career and never really lived up to those standards? I read something about him having a grass allergy, which is unfortunate for a professional cricketer.
Lawrence Rowe. Allergic to grass and wool. He made a century and a double in his first Test and a triple against England a few years later.

sunilz

International Regular
Sadagoppan Ramesh.
Was the best batsman during the 3 Ind-Pak test match in 1999.

After having a good look at his stats ,looks like he had good 1999 . Now not sure whether he can be called flash in the pan.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
There was a time when I thought RSA would have a dream batting line up.. One reason I had Amla opening in my team of the decade was because I always felt he should have done that, especially once that middle order took shape in early-mid noughties.

Smith, Amla, Kallis, ABDV, Faf, JPD would have been awesome.
Imagine kp chose to play for them too lol

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Mitch McClenaghan looked very much like the real deal in the 2015 WC to me.
He did really well taking lots of wickets 2 or 3 years before 2015 (Boult couldn't make the ODI team) but only played one game in that tournament vs Bangladesh after Adam Milne got injured. Matt Henry then played in the semi and final with McClenaghan and Mills missing out.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Whatever happened to Hemang Badani? As a kid I found his name quite amusing but the dude did make a pretty stylish century against Australia(?)