• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
He means he had aced it at FC level. 2 and half season, and 4 FC centuries.

He had done the yards and bedded in his processes.

If did same for Ravindra, would be promoting him with 0 FC centuries. And because of NZC's inability to dovetail domestic and international calendars he'd be doomed to have an annual calendar like Raval:

2 Plunket Shield rounds in Oct > Pre-Xmas Tests > 3 months of domestic white-ball Stuff > Tests > end of season.

If he doesn't get his maiden century in test cricket, Couple of rained out October rounds, could find that in 2 years time he still wouldn't even have a FC century to his name.

Academic, as thankfully, selectors are sensibly conservative on this one.

A year of patience now = 15 prospective good years ahead, impatience now = 5 years of probable mediocrity then just 10 good years once he gets his **** sorted.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno if you could say Williamson aced it, he averaged 31 after his first 25 tests.
QUOTE]

Williamson was also a better player at 18 than Rachin is at 20. Averaged high 40's for ND in his first serious season out of high school. Rachin's numbers by comparison are very good for a 20 year old. They need to be very good full stop before he gets a test callup.

Flem274*

123/5
rachin is special but there is no need to rush. there are other top order options for the next 12 months and he's too good to risk.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rachin is special as an overall cricketer, but YouTube baby stardome aside his performances in, well, anything, have not quite screamed "special young batsman" or "special young bowler" individually.

Williamson was picked young but he also bossed domestic cricket young. Rachin doesn't have a FC ton or a FC 5fa yet (hell he doesn't even have a FC 3fa, even Santner has a few of those ;) ). Picking players when they aren't actually good enough can be detrimental to their development, and he hasn't shown otherwise yet. I wouldn't hate him getting a couple of ODIs, particularly given he could well be established by the time the next World Cup rolls around, but he shouldn't be near the Test squad at this point.

ataraxia

International Coach
He means he had aced it at FC level. 2 and half season, and 4 FC centuries.

He had done the yards and bedded in his processes.

If did same for Ravindra, would be promoting him with 0 FC centuries. And because of NZC's inability to dovetail domestic and international calendars he'd be doomed to have an annual calendar like Raval:

2 Plunket Shield rounds in Oct > Pre-Xmas Tests > 3 months of domestic white-ball Stuff > Tests > end of season.

If he doesn't get his maiden century in test cricket, Couple of rained out October rounds, could find that in 2 years time he still wouldn't even have a FC century to his name.

Academic, as thankfully, selectors are sensibly conservative on this one.

A year of patience now = 15 prospective good years ahead, impatience now = 5 years of probable mediocrity then just 10 good years once he gets his **** sorted.
There's no harm putting him in for the 2020 winter though. That's the best time to introduce him IMO.

Immenso

There's no harm putting him in for the 2020 winter though. That's the best time to introduce him IMO.
Agree. Maybe even as a horses for courses, batting at 6, bowling second or 3rd spinner. With no expectation to retain his place in the summer.

Would be good if he had earnt it by then, though

Moss

NZ have to strike a balance between selectorial consistency and building for the future. Sticking with the current core through thick and thin has worked well but there's a slight problem that others who should be in the frame could be getting stale (Young for example will probably be 28-29 by the time he actually debuts for NZ, surely he could have been brought into the frame earlier, and Blundell is already 29 and getting zero game time, we'll never know for sure to what extent he'll be the ready-made replacement for Watling). I slightly worry for a 2007-08 situation where there's a slew of retirements and a second-tier which is still developing on the job.

If I were NZC I'd really be using ODIs as a test bed for the test team, and similarly T20s for ODIs even if aptitude for one format doesn't necessarily translate into another. With bilateral ODIs being rather low profile, surely that is how you give the likes of Ravindra a taste of top level stuff while they work on their domestic game?

(Apologies if all this should be on a separate thread)

Moss

Siddle brought into the squad, seems to be a regular thing these days that he plays one or two games a series. Pattinson having already been in the squad would surely get first dibs on Hazlewood's spot? Or will they look at Siddle as the guy who'd provide control (as is usually the case when they decide to bring him in). NZ for sure would far prefer having to face Siddle I'm sure.

Last edited:

nzfan

NZ have to strike a balance between selectorial consistency and building for the future. Sticking with the current core through thick and thin has worked well but there's a slight problem that others who should be in the frame could be getting stale (Young for example will probably be 28-29 by the time he actually debuts for NZ, surely he could have been brought into the frame earlier, and Blundell is already 29 and getting zero game time, we'll never know for sure to what extent he'll be the ready-made replacement for Watling). I slightly worry for a 2007-08 situation where there's a slew of retirements and a second-tier which is still developing on the job.

If I were NZC I'd really be using ODIs as a test bed for the test team, and similarly T20s for ODIs even if aptitude for one format doesn't necessarily translate into another. With bilateral ODIs being rather low profile, surely that is how you give the likes of Ravindra a taste of top level stuff while they work on their domestic game?

(Apologies if all this should be on a separate thread)
Probably the most balanced and well thought out plan for our up and coming players. I'm more on the side of giving the young ones opportunities if they are good enough but likely veering too much on the younger side. The above is the best balance you can strike. While at it hope they do the same with Ben Sears and Nathan Smith. These are three of the players I think in the long run will serve NZ Cricket for good number of years to come. There's Ireland and Scotland games coming up this winter. Anyways this is for a separate thread sorry...

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't have an in-depth knowledge of NZ cricket, but I could swear Young was in his early 20s and seen as the major long-term number 3. Staggered that he's already 27

For some reason I thought he was in the same age group as Finn Allen, Rachin and NZ could afford to wait

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Williamson debuted at 6. We're talking about using him to replace Raval. A 20 yo with no FC centuries opening in Australia against Starc on boxing day. I'm sure he'd get a 10/10 for pluckiness and whatnot but I doubt he'd be a raging success.

His chance in the Test team will come. Now isn't it.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently Kiwis have bought 16,000+ tickets for the Boxing Day test. Should be an incredible atmosphere. **** I hope the team produces a performance to match.

Chewie

Is that just for boxing day or across the whole test?

I've only got my ticket for boxing day cos I figure the other days I don't need to buy in advance

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Is that just for boxing day or across the whole test?

I've only got my ticket for boxing day cos I figure the other days I don't need to buy in advance
That's just for Boxing Day supposedly. We got our tickets for the first 4 days and apparently the kiwi fan zone is sold out for the first 3 days.