• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he isn’t up to doing his job then he should play purely as a batsman. Sorry, but that’s the gig, especially when you’re batting six

Flem274*

123/5
also while watching this knock i remembered the obvious 'if kane dies on the morning of a game who bats #3' solution that got discussed pre-test. move watling up and slot blundell in at #6 imo. he used to be an opener, he could bat #3 for a test.

nz recently moving watling to #6 to give him more of a chance to influence the game has been helpful.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
If he isn’t up to doing his job then he should play purely as a batsman. Sorry, but that’s the gig, especially when you’re batting six
usually i'd agree in spirit but when he's just batted 450 balls and we have two international glovemen in the team, it's pragmatic to rotate. doesn't matter if it looks soft, it's smart workload management.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
usually i'd agree in spirit but when he's just batted 450 balls and we have two international glovemen in the team, it's pragmatic to rotate. doesn't matter if it looks soft, it's smart workload management.
Yeah the fact that Latham is playing changes things from the usual way I'd look at this. If giving Watling a rest meant Nicholls had to keep instead I'd tell him to suck it up and put the gloves on as Burgey suggested, but Latham is a genuine wicket keeper who keeps in probably about half the professional cricket games he plays in. He'd be working on his keeping as regularly as Watling. I don't see it so much as being compassionate and giving Watling a rest, but maximising the team's chances of winning -- Latham's likely a better keeper than an extremely tired Watling IMO.