• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2019/20

thierry henry

International Coach
Dominant numbers from Munro. On one hand as a "Munro has lost it" denier I like being proved right, on the other hand it's a waste as he's obviously done his dash in ODI cricket.

Also, even though I rail against judging bowlers on pace, the array of medium pacers at the top of the bowling stats is a tad depressing.

Flem274*

123/5
2 things

3 tons and no 50s for munro in 8 games is unusual - i think it supports my theory his eye is deteriorating. once he's in he's fine, but he looked a mess in the super smash until he got to 40 odd.

most of the top domestic bowlers have been playing for the black caps and new zealand A during this period because of the boult/ferguson/henry injuries and the expanded A programme.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
2 things

3 tons and no 50s for munro in 8 games is unusual - i think it supports my theory his eye is deteriorating. once he's in he's fine, but he looked a mess in the super smash until he got to 40 odd.

most of the top domestic bowlers have been playing for the black caps and new zealand A during this period because of the boult/ferguson/henry injuries and the expanded A programme.
Munro has always been a bit of all or nothing, much in the same way as McCullum. When it comes off it's devastating. When it doesn't, we're 1 for not much. Just depends if we can afford that player.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I think Munro's one day career is done and dusted. He has done fairly well for someone that was a first change bowler and batted no.11 when he first started for Auckland. He's still likely to play two T20 world cups and he has good chance to go on a high.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watched the highlights of the final - that looked a great match between two good teams (who would have picked Otago being a good team after the last couple of seasons?).

Chapman loves smacking the spinners for boundaries which makes his deer-in-headlights impression against them for NZ look even more weird - there must be a mental block there. Less convinced that his struggles vs proper pace can be overcome as easily though.

Duffy has a very good record now in List A. If we ever run short on other right arm medium pace outswing bowlers (Southee, Henry, Bennett, Jamieson) he can slot right in :happy:.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
2 things

This could be said about any number of players and Munro has always looked kinda village. Andrew Jones felt his game was going downhill when he was getting starts but not converting them to hundreds. If Munro got 3 in 8 games I wouldn't be too concerned about his eyesight (he looked to be hitting them pretty well early on in the T20 at the Stadium where he was run out for 64).

Great campaign for Boyle. I hadn't heard much about him before this season.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Young had a fairly indifferent time against India A and the Indian XI. Mitchell did a lot better.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Young had a fairly indifferent time against India A and the Indian XI. Mitchell did a lot better.
That's reasonably near true, but not exactly apples v apples in a few respects. Young opened, Mitchell batted seven. Young doesn't bowl, Mitchell does. Young got one score of 50 odd, Mitchell got one of a hundred. I know there's a different thread for this but in picking Mitchell for the Test squad and not Young, it's suggesting they want cover for CdG don't they, not Latham/Blundell/Williamson/Taylor (Nicholls you could pick either or without any issue)? I just think Young covers more bases.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched the highlights of the final - that looked a great match between two good teams (who would have picked Otago being a good team after the last couple of seasons?).

Chapman loves smacking the spinners for boundaries which makes his deer-in-headlights impression against them for NZ look even more weird - there must be a mental block there. Less convinced that his struggles vs proper pace can be overcome as easily though.

Duffy has a very good record now in List A. If we ever run short on other right arm medium pace outswing bowlers (Southee, Henry, Bennett, Jamieson) he can slot right in :happy:.
I really rate Duffy, granted he bowled a bit of gash in the T20 semi final v Auckland but otherwise he's been very sharp every time I've seen him. I've got no doubt he plays for NZ in the next couple of years.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That's reasonably near true, but not exactly apples v apples in a few respects. Young opened, Mitchell batted seven. Young doesn't bowl, Mitchell does. Young got one score of 50 odd, Mitchell got one of a hundred. I know there's a different thread for this but in picking Mitchell for the Test squad and not Young, it's suggesting they want cover for CdG don't they, not Latham/Blundell/Williamson/Taylor (Nicholls you could pick either or without any issue)? I just think Young covers more bases.
Covers the spinner as well IMO. If we go crazy and play on the greenest of green pitches throwing in a Mitchell at 8 is huge.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
How would a hypothetical Ford Trophy Tournament Team look? Along the lines of
1. Boyle
2. Munro
3. Conway
4. Foxcroft
5. Cooper
6. Cleaver
7. N.Smith
8. Rippon
9. Duffy
10. McPeake
11. Lister

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes obviously Chapman very good but just with limited opportunities at the level. 168 runs, 84 average and 118 SR in what he did play.

A bit gloomy that Ellis had the better batting numbers than Smith this season, but I obviously get why you opted for who you did.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Cooper bowled better than Chapman so that's why he should be included - PEWS to confirm.

Though on that methodology, Glenn Philips would be a better shout

thundaboult

International Debutant
I really rate Duffy, granted he bowled a bit of gash in the T20 semi final v Auckland but otherwise he's been very sharp every time I've seen him. I've got no doubt he plays for NZ in the next couple of years.
Same here, really big on him. One of those domestic guys I always keep an eye out for when going through the highlights or scorecards. And he's been around forever now while being consistent. Would love to see him get introduced. But I can also see the BC's playing the lets wait till he's 29 game with him.

vandem

International 12th Man
How would a hypothetical Ford Trophy Tournament Team look? Along the lines of
1. Boyle
2. Munro
3. Conway
4. Foxcroft
5. Cooper
6. Cleaver
7. N.Smith
8. Rippon
9. Duffy
10. McPeake
11. Lister
Worker or Bowes > Boyle, higher SR
Horne > Cleaver, SR 127 vs 90 (yes, I know lower order vs top order, but side needs finishers), excellent keeping including standing up to Lister

Noema-Barnett 12th man, averaged 54 SR 101, could come into playing XI on a flat pitch in place of McPeake (so 5th bowler overs = Worker + Foxcroft + Noema-Barnett).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Wasted talent, could do an outstanding impression - his 12th man impersonations were spot no.
Had beers with him once or twice through a mutual friend. Massive fan of his own voice, IMO. 2/10 - would not drink with again.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
All the Plunket Shield teams for tomorrow. ND is moving on from both Flynn and Brownlie, they're out and the captaincy has gone to Joe Carter. No special mentions in the release to confirm either of those as being full first-class retirements, however.

Auckland ACES squad | Plunket Shield vs. Otago Volts, Eden Park Outer Oval

Robert O’Donnell (c)

Jamie Brown

Mark Chapman

Louis Delport

Lockie Ferguson

Martin Guptill

Ben Horne

Ben Lister

Matt McEwan

Glenn Phillips

Jeet Raval