• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussain Quits Cricket

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
He's done the odd commentary stint on sky over the last 2 years. He was one of the sky commentators for some of the Twenty20 games last year. So its no surprise sky would snap up such a big name to commentate even if he isnt that good at first.
He did very well too - I enjoyed listening to his frankness

(actually, I can't remember whether I liked or hated his commentary, but who cares? No-one takes what I say seriously anyway - <CHOKE>)

Swervy

International Captain
I have a lot of admiration for Hussain, a tough competitor and Englands best captain since Brearley.

A brave and team orientated decision by him to retire,and what a way to go out.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
He did very well too - I enjoyed listening to his frankness

(actually, I can't remember whether I liked or hated his commentary, but who cares? No-one takes what I say seriously anyway - <CHOKE>)
Yep...reminds me of Ian Botham in that sense. He still needs a bit of work on his commentating but as with most ex-players on the sky team he'll come good with practice.

Craig

World Traveller
a massive zebra said:
Its time to give the younger players a go.
Not really.

It gives them the chance to play Ashley Giles at Headingly and in the 3rd Test and give the side a more balanced look.

Somewhere you will have to fit in Kevin Pietersen and Paul Collingwood, fitting for Graham Thorpe's spot when he retires (which I tip either to be v WI at The Oval or at the 5th Test v Australia next year).

Both or one would be reserve batsman in the winter tour of South Africa (providing the Zimbabwe tour doesnt go ahead).

This providing Andy Strauss keeps up his very good start.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why do you think Thorpe will retire so soon?

His long breaks recently can prolong his career IMO, and we don't want to have to make wholesale changes.

Craig

World Traveller
A feeling I have.

Although it will probably be after next year's Ashes.

And you guys will have a couple of good replacements in Collingwood and Pietersen.

Craig

World Traveller
Who will miss out when Kevin Pietersen becomes available?

In keeping with team balance, either Marcus Trescothick or Ashley Giles.