• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I can't remember which test match it was last summer, but we were in a tight situation with Khawaja at the crease. Ashwin literally bogged him down for four or five deliveries and you just knew Khawaja couldn't handle it. He proceeded to sky a ball to long off

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really have no idea what you've been trying to say for the last few posts, I think we're talking about different things but for the most part I agree with you re. Khawaja. People expected too much of him and he was never going to stand up and lead to the standard that was required. He just doesn't have that character, or ability. But he's fine at what he does and is still the 3rd best batsman in the country.

edit: But he still doesn't get a pass for last summer. His performance was bad and he should feel bad.

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain
In that article, Langer on Usman: "He averages 40 odd in Test cricket"

Didn't insulate Burns

And it's ironic that Usman's century in Canberra was deemed career saving by the selectors, but Burns' 180 against the same attack (scored in the first innings when we were 3 for 30, not the second innings like Usman) was cast aside
And another thing that is annoying about Cricket Australia at the moment is that the people writing these
press releases don't know anything about the game because they keep letting these idoitic and contradictory comments get released to the public.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Uzzy just needs to find more singles early. If he lasts 30 balls, does he have more than 4 singles? Usually not IMO.

Burgey

SWaugh (who's on this tour) nailed Usman a couple of Summers ago when he described him as lacking hunger

As being very content
I expect Stephen will have had a few stern words with a few of the lads, and pointed out in no uncertain terms what they need to do to improve their game.

Burgey

Uzzy just needs to find more singles early. If he lasts 30 balls, does he have more than 4 singles? Usually not IMO.
It's a fair point and one which I commented on as dogging not just him but most Australian batsmen last summer - they have lost he ability to drop and run to turn over the strike. It's one of the most under rated skills in the game.

Burgey

I'm sure that Stephen would have a few stern words to Langer about Joe Burns' omission, and the relative merits of Brisbane, such as they are.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I was just looking at the contract list.

World Cup year but Ashes too..

No Bancroft, Wade, Labuschagne, Siddle, Neser and MitchMarsh on the list.

Pattinson did get a contract, so did Marcus Harris. Kurtis Patterson and Joe Burns did not, Shaun Marsh did.

ajdude

International Coach
I'm sure that Stephen would have a few stern words to Langer about Joe Burns' omission, and the relative merits of Brisbane, such as they are.
also about that one time that he saw pattinson bowl about 180km/h that he keeps talking about

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
People expect too much of Khawaja. Take last summer against India. He was under pressure to make up for the administrative screw up and bat for Smith, Warner as well as himself. Wasn't his fault but here you go Usman - fix it! Then there was the issue with his arseclown brother. Again not his fault. So in the end he stalled under all that pressure as he was bound to. He should've only have been measured against his own standard not the extra responsibilities forced on him and caused by by other people's follies. He's a good, solid batsman, more so at home. Plus he offers another really good thing in that he bats at 3 meaning Smith can afford to bat in the place he prefers at 4. What would Joe Root give for him?

So I don't really get why people wont ease up on him. We've got a few problems with this side but he's not one of them.
Nah, he should have stepped up last summer and he didn't. It's why he's good but he'll never be remembered as great.