• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elegant batsmen

DravidFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Is there a thread on batsmen who are easiest on the eyes? This is a highly subjective thing, but my faves are nearly all from the subcontinent. In descending order (ones I have watched):

Azharuddin
Laxman
Zaheer Abbas
Jayawardana
Sangakkara
G R Vishwanath
Lara
Gower

Who are yours?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barry Richards, depending on what sort of mood he was in - like Martin Crowe he sometimes battered the bowling, but generally he just stroked it around and made it look like the easiest thing in the world to do

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mark Waugh.

By far the more elegant of the two Waughs.

Edit: Ah, beaten to it by Trundler. What a good lad he is.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yuvraj and Ben Stokes have a certain freedom to their bat-swing and a punchy quality to their shots down the ground that makes them very good to watch.

vcs

Yeah, Babar Azam is also good. His short arm jab/pull is a wonderful stroke.

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Mark Waugh, Martyn, Williamson, Jayawardene, Ajinkya Rahane, VVS. Sanju Samson is also very good to watch.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Greg Chappell, Martin Crowe, Lawrence Rowe, David Gower, Brian Lara, Mark Waugh...funny how the most elegant players are all prior to T20i becoming a thing ;)

SachinFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wonder why nobody mentions Tendulkar while talking about elegance? Who hits more poetic straight drives or cover drives? I can show n number of instances where the commentator was just orgasming at the shot Tendulkar had just hit.

Burgey

Vengsarkar was always awesome to watch imo. Azharuddin too. Tendulkar off the back foot punching straight back down the ground was sublime as well.

How many of these elegant blokes cop a razzing when they got out because they made it look easy, so everyone thinks they must have thrown it away Mark Waugh and Gower copped that a lot, Martyn too. I think Lawrence Rowe did too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Stephen Fleming.

Might've underachieved for his talent (and made Root's conversion rate look good) but no one has ever played made more elegant 60s.

Close the thread.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arthur Morris.

Wonder why nobody mentions Tendulkar while talking about elegance? Who hits more poetic straight drives or cover drives? I can show n number of instances where the commentator was just orgasming at the shot Tendulkar had just hit.
A bit bottom handed to look as elegant as some here imo.