• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FC cricketer & Windrush scandal victim dies without apology

BoyBrumby

Englishman
From The Guardian

A sad coda to one of the most shameful episodes in the recent history of this septic isle.

Richard "Wes" Stewart, who, like too, too many others entered the UK as a British citizen only to be told over half a century later he was an illegal alien, has passed away before any apology or compensation has been forthcoming from HM Govt.

A quick trip to cricinfo shows he was a good enough bowler to have played 52 first class games for Gloucestershire and Middlesex, taking 131 scalps at a more-than-creditable 23.91.

I must confess I was hitherto unaware of his work, I don't know if he ever crossed the radars of any of our more venerable readers? His batting average suggests he was a proper, old school #11.

Proof though, were it needed, before she was a ****e Prime Minister, Theresa May was an equally ****e Home Secretary.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to confess I don't recall him, but he was playing just a few years before I ever took a real interest. I do remember another Jamaican who played for Middlesex at around that time, Harry Latchman, who was a leggie, and that's why I remember him - cricinfo tells me Harry was born in Kingston in 1943 and is still with us so I wonder if he caught up in this national disgrace? or if not why not?