• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TRIBUTES TO RICHIE (BENAUD) ON 500th Test as player/commentator

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The first Test between England and NewZealand marks a unique record for this great cricketing icon and legend, who has enthralled cricketing audiences all over the world with his vast knowledge of cricket anecdotes, records, trivia and cricket personalities. He has been involved with International cricket for over 4 decades. International cricket owes this great gentleman a lot, for making cricket popular among several generations of viewers of several countries.

He is loved all over the world for his affable nature and his vast knowledge in cricketing matters, while his unique voice and descriptive phraseology (made famous by the 'Twelth Man') have become part of Australian cricket folklore.

In this thread members of the cricket web may join me in paying tribute to this great cricket legend on his unique achievement.

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
Congrats to Richie, but can't someone explain something to me...

On C4 they showed a break down of his games played, games with the media etc etc and then there was another line Off Field (maybe started a gamethen retired hurt for the rest of the game maybe?)... what's that all about then? he wasn't playing and he wasn't doing media work so surely they don't count :wacko:

But I asume they know what they are talking about so Congrats to Richie and he has been a great commentator :D

chicane

State Captain
Richie Benaud, Geoffery Boycott, Tony Cozier, Tony Grieg, Ian Chapell....the best commentators i've seen.(heard)

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Legend in every form of the game, to me he is the voice of cricket.
Fair enough... I will always hold Jonathon Agnew in a far higher bracket when it comes to being "the voice of cricket".. But that is not to detract from Richies legendary status.. His commitment and work in the game have been unparallelled....

krkode

State Captain
I never liked Benaud as a commentator. Maybe that's just because I've heard soooo much of him from playing so much Cricket 97... :sleepy:

Geoff Boycott for me. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There have been a few, but Richie is up there with the best of the best.

Arlott, Jonners, Richie.

The rest

bennyr

U19 12th Man
I can't remember TV cricket commentary without Richie Benaud, and while I beleive his standard is slipping as he gets older, he is still one of the best.

Waughney

International Debutant
It would be hard to imagine a summer series without him in the box. Great commentator and player.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
I'd say it's testimony to Richie's popularity throughout the cricketing world. AFAIK these ads are going to quite a few countries.