• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was an ATG FC cricketer

bagapath

International Captain
Frank Woolley and Wilfred Rhodes deserve a mention for sure. Rhodes was probably the one in history who spent maximum amount of time in his life playing cricket. Sigh! What a life!!!

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vijay Merchant and George Headley would also average north of 70 without their test record

But yeah I assume Woodfull and Ponsford faced tougher bowlers
Shield pitches flat as hell back then though. Like there were at least two scores in that era of 1000+.

morgieb

Holy ****, that discrepancy for Duminy is insane
Yeah and it's not even like Indian cricket where there's 30 FC teams so the standard isn't great. SA domestics is quite good cricket. Always felt weird to me he never truly cracked Tests, especially given there were plenty of times he looked great out in the middle.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Another South African with a big discrepancy is Imran Tahir.

Tests: 57 wickets at 40.24
First-class: 727 wickets at 25.57

trundler

Looks like Australia in the 30s was a great place for batting. Anyone got stats for McCabe?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Frank Woolley and Wilfred Rhodes deserve a mention for sure. Rhodes was probably the one in history who spent maximum amount of time in his life playing cricket. Sigh! What a life!!!
Be interesting to know who has spent the most time (in hours or days) of their life playing cricket.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So best FC XI from posts posted so far

Woodfull
Ponsford
Bradman
Headley
Miller
Sobers
Benaud
?Wk*
Jadeja
? Pace 1
? Pace 2

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure Benaud quite makes the cut. You don't really need three all rounders. I'd play Hedley Verity as my spinner for sure, averaging under 15 with the ball in the interwar period is mighty impressive

aussie tragic

International Captain
Not sure Benaud quite makes the cut. You don't really need three all rounders. I'd play Hedley Verity as my spinner for sure, averaging under 15 with the ball in the interwar period is mighty impressive
Okay Hedley Verity gets my attention with 1812 wkts @ 14.14 outside of Tests.. wow

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Although it’s small sample sizes, David Steele and Clive Radley averaged 42 and 48 in Tests but low 30’s in First Class cricket. Steele’s 8 Tests were all against very strong fast bowling attacks.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eddie Paynter as well
I feel like Paynter can somewhat be put down to only playing a handful of tests, ala Voges. His average might have come back down to earth, closer to his FC average if he had played 40-50 tests.

Barrington had a very long test career though. Its a little more baffling

Last edited:

trundler

Jack Badcock averaged 17.5 across 7 tests. In 90 FC matches he scored 7211 runs at 55.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I'm not sure that is true. Rhodes' first class career lasted 33 years and Grace's lasted 44 years. Yes, Rhodes played many more first class matches, primarily because the first class scene was fully developed when he came into the game, so top players were playing 25-30 first class matches per English season and going on regular overseas tours. When Grace began, first class cricket was still taking shape and top players rarely played more than 8-10 first class matches per season, preferring to ply their trade playing countless matches for teams like the All England XI who travelled the country playing against local teams of between 18 to 22 players. Indeed, Grace made nearly 100 centuries outside of first class cricket so he must have played a lot of non first class cricket.

Last edited: