• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli, the greatest ODI bat ever?

Is Virat Kohli the Greatest ODI bat of all Time

• Yes

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Actually , if remove last 11 matches from Rohit stats
It's 14 tons in 51 match .

Not Viv
Not Sachin
It's Rohit Vs kohli now.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Both Warner and Rohit would be in conversation for ATXI if they have excellent 2019 WC . I am not getting your argument .
If Kohli's 18 100s in 60 matches makes him the Greatest , Rohit is the 2nd best ever with 14 in 51 matches.

Still many believe Rohit not yet in the league of Jayasoorya , Anwar , Gilly or Mark Waugh let alone Sachin.

sunilz

International Regular
See I'm not sure if I rate Kohli ahead of ABDV yet. They're about even with ABDV being a few noses in front at this stage. If Kohli keeps his form up though there's no way he won't overtake de Villiers though. He's already ahead of Sachin in my mind.
Kohli has 1600 more runs than Devilliers, has 10 more 50 + innings and averages 6+ more in won games . Apart from Strike rate Devilliers has nothing going in his favour .
Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah if Kohlis not better than Viv, Rashid Khan and Starc are the GOAT odi bowlers.

Sorry guys garner was okay but helped by a bowler friendly era
I don't know how era adjustment formula works. But I don't think bowling averages have gone significantly up or down with the different eras in the same way as batting averages did.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Kohli has 1600 more runs than Devilliers, has 10 more 50 + innings and averages 6+ more in won games . Apart from Strike rate Devilliers has nothing going in his favour .
Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com
Because
Kohli played more matches
ABDV started in 2005 when batting was bit more tougher
ABDV decline included in this stats.

Still almost equal AVG/SR combo.

Kohli is yet to prove his statistical dominance over his contemporary let alone all-time .

sunilz

International Regular
If Kohli's 18 100s in 60 matches makes him the Greatest , Rohit is the 2nd best ever with 14 in 51 matches.

Still many believe Rohit not yet in the league of Jayasoorya , Anwar , Gilly or Mark Waugh let alone Sachin.
People don't rate Rohit because of his poor test record and he is a ftb . Would you really back Rohit to score much on a tough wicket or against great bowling attacks ? People rate Kohli highly because of his test performance in last England and SA tour . Had Kohli performed miserably on his last overseas tour , I doubt people would have considered him greatest ODI batsman . Kohli has proved he can bat on tough wickets against great attacks, Rohit hasn't .

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Because

Kohli is yet to prove his statistical dominance over his contemporary let alone all-time .
Is ABDV's decline factored in his stats ? He smartly retired before his decline. Just kidding on the smart part :)

Also Kohli has already proved his statistical dominance over his contemporaries.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
People don't rate Rohit because of his poor test record and he is a ftb . Would you really back Rohit to score much on a tough wicket or against great bowling attacks ? People rate Kohli highly because of his test performance in last England and SA tour . Had Kohli performed miserably on his last overseas tour , I doubt people would have considered him greatest ODI batsman . Kohli has proved he can bat on tough wickets against great attacks, Rohit hasn't .
That's a different argument . I was just saying 18 centuries in 60 matches not a sign of best ever century maker , it's lot easier now than sachin time. Otherwise we have to admit Rohit is 2nd best ever. 14 in 51. Phenomenal.

sunilz

International Regular
Because

No he hasn't . And Kohli is 5 years younger than Devilliers and yet he has more runs . So Kohli has already won longevity battle . Strike rate is not an issue for Kohli . Can't remember games where India has lost due to Kohli's slow batting .

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Is ABDV's decline factored in his stats ? He smartly retired before his decline. Just kidding on the smart part :)

Also Kohli has already proved his statistical dominance over his contemporaries.
When Kohli and ABdV played together ( it's 11 years and more than 90% of Kohli career so far )
ABdV was comfortably ahead of Kohli both in AVG and SR .
Avg-SR combo is the primary evidence of batsman quality.
Viv and Sachin were head and shoulders above their contemporaries in this regard ( Abbas was close but played just 60 plus matches )

Kohli - no supremacy.. in fact he is 2nd best for his era.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
No he hasn't . And Kohli is 5 years younger than Devilliers and yet he has more runs . So Kohli has already won longevity battle . Strike rate is not an issue for Kohli . Can't remember games where India has lost due to Kohli's slow batting .
1.The link you provided says , Kohli 125 innings , ABdv 112 innings

2.Kohli 5 years Younger , that means he is yet to match ABdV longevity.

3. We don't know , especially when batted first.

sunilz

International Regular
1.The link you provided says , Kohli 125 innings , ABdv 112 innings

2.Kohli 5 years Younger , that means he is yet to match ABdV longevity.

3. We don't know , especially when batted first.
Kohli has scored more runs than Devilliers . I thought longevity is proportional to runs scored/ wickets taken .
Devilliers has played 2 matches more than Kohli in his career.

Slifer

International Captain

Spark

Global Moderator
More destructive ability in the end overs. Can score 30 ball tons on a good day.
I mean, is that really that valuable next to Kohli's extraordinary chasing ability, and that he can score top order 50 ball tons? I really don't see it, honestly.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Good point. Looking at that table lol at the meager amounts of not out innings Lara had vs his contemporaries. Anyone has a theory as to why that is?
Easier to dismiss may be. By no means I am saying he is inferior though.