• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia Tour of India 2019

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maxwell-Handscomb partnership was brilliant, risk-free batting. Apart from Kaul, I thought India didn't bowl all that badly.
Indeed, actually pretty smart from Handscomb. Went at just above a run a ball giving strike to Maxwell. Lots of players would try to match him and just get themselves out leaving their team in a hole.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Langer stating he wants more consistancy from Maxwell before he can bat 4 in ODIs. Why is the coach allowed to set the batting order when it's supposed to be the captains job?

TheJediBrah

Langer stating he wants more consistancy from Maxwell before he can bat 4 in ODIs. Why is the coach allowed to set the batting order when it's supposed to be the captains job?
Khawaja gets to bat 3 though because he consistently makes 15 (35)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langer is just being stubborn at this point. His emphasis on 'best for the team' is annoying. People think promoting Maxwell is best for the team. The fact were all behind him coz we feel he's hard done by is an unavoidable byproduct of obviously mistreating a player.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have thought Maxi would serve the team best as a middle/lower order slogger/finisher. Batting between 5 - 7 would be ideal from him imo.

TheJediBrah

I would have thought Maxi would serve the team best as a middle/lower order slogger/finisher. Batting between 5 - 7 would be ideal from him imo.
Maybe if he was playing in the Australian 2003 ODI team. In this team it's a waste, and really, really dumb.

edit: 5 would be ok, but 7 is ridiculous

Last edited:

mr_mister

Yeah the game is moving too fast for Langer.

Imagine if Maxi played that innings in a first innings of an ODI when setting. But because he did it batting 7 instead of 4 he misses 15-20 overs to go even bigger and put the game beyond doubt

If he plays the same way regardless of match situation, why can't he be afforded max time to do it. Obviously you could say this about a lot of batsman, but Maxi is the fastest scoring ODI batsman of all time

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe if he was playing in the Australian 2003 ODI team. In this team it's a waste, and really, really dumb.

edit: 5 would be ok, but 7 is ridiculous
Yeah, good point. The current side lacks a bit of oomph. Maxwell is actually more adaptable than people give him credit for in my opinion. In the past he's played some quality measured middle-order knocks.

He's pretty bloody vital to the team come to think of it.

stephen

He absolutely was the lynchpin of Australia's success in 2015. He took the game away from the opposition at key times batting 5, and this was back in a team which had much better batsmen available.

mr_mister

I agree. He also owns the highest shield score of the decade, so he has it in him to catch fire and go big. No reason he couldn't do a Rohit if he got in early enough

He's got the X Factor or whatever. Golden snitch. He's got a slim chance of just deciding the game single handedly and making every other player nearly obsolete.

It doesn't have to have a high chance at success for it to be worth trying for. Like going for Horn Drill in Pokemon

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree. He also owns the highest shield score of the decade, so he has it in him to catch fire and go big. No reason he couldn't do a Rohit if he got in early enough

He's got the X Factor or whatever. Golden snitch. He's got a slim chance of just deciding the game single handedly and making every other player nearly obsolete.

It doesn't have to have a high chance at success for it to be worth trying for. Like going for Horn Drill in Pokemon
Not quite, the Liam Davis triple was this decade

Otherwise I by and large agree with this

mr_mister

Incredible analogy
Haha cheers.

I'll sum it up by saying this to anyone still on langers side. His avg is way closer to Jayasuriya/Gilchrist than Afridi, but you can tell Langer considers him way more of a Afridi style player then a proper run scorer, so he sticks him at 7. England know how to use Butler correctly so Langer should pull his head out by the WC

TheJediBrah

Langer's simply completely incompetent. There's no need to try and delve any further into explaining why he does what he does.

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Maxi fails Australia lose.
Sell your house and put it on India in the first ODI Saturday.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah the game is moving too fast for Langer.

Imagine if Maxi played that innings in a first innings of an ODI when setting. But because he did it batting 7 instead of 4 he misses 15-20 overs to go even bigger and put the game beyond doubt

If he plays the same way regardless of match situation, why can't he be afforded max time to do it. Obviously you could say this about a lot of batsman, but Maxi is the fastest scoring ODI batsman of all time
Haven't you just proven what Langer was saying? Because he plays the same way regardless of situation and that way is by definition a high risk method, it means he's inconsistent and not suited to batting higher up where they set the tone.

Look at England's line up. Probably the least destructive batsman comes in at 3 and is damn consistent then Morgan at 4 plays the situation. Buttler (the equivalent to Maxwell albeit an upgrade on him) comes in at 5 or 6 depending on situation. I'm pretty sure that on Wednesday he'd have come in at 6 if Morgan rather than Hales had been 3rd man out.

mr_mister

I think my next post summarised it better tbh

But anyway I personally think Maxi should be opening the batting with field restrictions. Think it would most suit his style. Slog everything with only 2 fielders to worry about. Where Afridi had his most success too iirc

But that obviously ain't happening. So I'd settle for 4. Just give him the chance to get those centuries he's never gonna be getting at 7. He's got 3 t20 international tons in recent times batting in the top 4. All 3 were unbeaten tons as well. Imagine those in the first innings of a 50 over game. Could have turned them all into big daddy hundreds.

If it fails all the other guys can pick up the pieces its no big loss. I dunno about ruin the tone, plenty of others below him could do the run a ball thing then accelerate at the end.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Haven't you just proven what Langer was saying? Because he plays the same way regardless of situation and that way is by definition a high risk method, it means he's inconsistent and not suited to batting higher up where they set the tone.

Look at England's line up. Probably the least destructive batsman comes in at 3 and is damn consistent then Morgan at 4 plays the situation. Buttler (the equivalent to Maxwell albeit an upgrade on him) comes in at 5 or 6 depending on situation. I'm pretty sure that on Wednesday he'd have come in at 6 if Morgan rather than Hales had been 3rd man out.
This doesn't fully describe Maxwell's batting, though. His high strike rate and sometimes boneheaded shots makes people think he goes hard or goes home but his long-form knocks have shown he's adaptable.

I'm not saying I know where he should bat but in the current line-up, batting him at 7 is a huge missed opportunity.

Last edited: